• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Trying to copy SC4 disk image onto my computer

Started by twist2172, November 05, 2010, 10:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twist2172

I know I saw this somewhere, but does anyone know how to copy the disk image of SC4 onto a mac?  I know it is somewhere in disk utility, but I can't seem to figure out what to do from there.   

Thanks for your time and help,

-twist2172

dahemac

I used Disk Utility. I put the game disk into the machine. I opened Disk Utility. I selected the Sim City 4 disk and then clicked "New Image." It saved the .dmg file and now when I want to play I just open the dmg instead of digging the game disk out.

dahemac

That is the kind of thing yes. SC4 is the only game it worked on for me. For instance I have COD COD2 and COD4 but this did not work for any of them. As a result, since I don't generally want to dig the disc out or leve it in my drive I seldom play them. Honestly RTCW ET and SC4 are the games I like best partly because neither is a pain in the ass to start up.

twist2172

Thank you guys for all the help!  I have actually tried doing this a couple times, and for some reason it doesn't work.  It reads:

Unable to create "Session 1". (Input/output error)

I guess it isn't going to work.  My copy of the game is in pretty bad shape from playing so much over the years (Ive had the game since 2004)  It takes about 10 minutes or so usually to load my CD, so I was just hoping there was a way I could keep the image on my computer without having to upload it everytime.

j-dub

I am just going to tell you, EA games sells SC4 now a days as direct download, no disc on VALVe's STEAM system. Personally though, don't see how just the disc causes it take 10 minutes to load. That should be based upon loading stuff from the plugins folders, and loading all the stuff up from the directory where the game was installed. I say this because I have some other games that do not use discs, but I have also added more stuff to them in a similar matter to SC4, and the more extra stuff it has to load, the longer it takes.

twist2172

Let me rephrase: I don't mean the actual game itself takes 10 minutes to load, it takes about 10 minutes for me to upload my cd into the cd drive so that I can play the game.  Without the CD icon on the computer desktop, you cannot even load the game.  It is just sometimes a pain to get my SC4 cd to work.  But its no problem, usually while I am trying to get the CD to work, I am on this site looking at all the wonderful pictures, so I guess it works itself out.

WC_EEND

Quote from: twist2172 on April 05, 2011, 12:06:05 PM
Let me rephrase: I don't mean the actual game itself takes 10 minutes to load, it takes about 10 minutes for me to upload my cd into the cd drive so that I can play the game.  Without the CD icon on the computer desktop, you cannot even load the game.  It is just sometimes a pain to get my SC4 cd to work.  But its no problem, usually while I am trying to get the CD to work, I am on this site looking at all the wonderful pictures, so I guess it works itself out.

I don't know wether you've already thought about this, but damaged CD's can be repaired. My SC4 Deluxe CD2 was infact also broken a few years back, and I've had it mended and it works like a charm again.

Xander
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project