• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Re: Waterfalls a New Journey... MD by Pat_Update # 219

Started by Pat, March 13, 2007, 01:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBSimio

Hi Pat!

I see that I've missed a few things here lately, and it's no surprise that they've all been good things too!  You certainly have ploppable water and its uses down pat (pun might be intended... but you'll never know for sure!)  :D  This picture is probably my favorite from your most recent batch:

Quote from: Pat on March 22, 2009, 10:31:20 PM

The bend around that hill is just perfect!  I look forward to seeing this again when it's all dressed up.   :thumbsup:

Take care, my friend...
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

bat

Ennedi

Hello Pat,

I haven't too much time lately and I was only lurking at Waterfalls, but yes! I love your last updates  :thumbsup:
Your landscapes are more and more natural and the river bends are excellent! I would like to spend some time at so nice place... :)

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

TheTeaCat

Its been a while but I'm back ;D ;D

great updates and I like the new change of direction with Silver Bow. &apls
Your rivers look so much better, more natural and flowing in a way and once you dress the banks a bit
will be just about perfect :thumbsup:

Keep on going like this and you'll be getting a Gold Bow instead ::) :D :D

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Simpson

I love this river, my friend !!  &apls  this is incredible, as well !!
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Pat

Easter, like the spring season it graces, is associated with birth, renewal and fertility.

Easter marks the Resurrection of Jesus three days after his Crucifixion. Sandwiched between the 40 preparatory days of Lenten penitence and the seven weeks of Eastertide, it is the most important and most joyous holiday on the Christian calendar.

In 2009, Easter Sunday falls on April 12 for the Western Church and April 19 for the Eastern Church.

The Easter timeline runs as follows:

• Shrove Tuesday, aka Mardi Gras
  • Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent...
  • Lent — 40 days, excluding Sundays
Holy Week, the last week of Lent, consisting of:

• Palm Sunday
  • Maundy Thursday
  • Good Friday
  • Holy Saturday
  • Easter Sunday
  • Easter Monday

• Eastertide, the 50 days leading up to Pentecost...
  • Pentecost

Though the New Testament contains no reference to an annual feast celebrating the Resurrection, the practice was well-established by the second century. Early churchmen were divided on whether to hold a feast on 14 Nisan (the date of the Biblical Pesach, which morphed into the name for Easter in many languages) or on the following Sunday; disputes and excommunications ensued in this Quartodeciman controversy until the Council of Nicea in 325 decided it must fall on a Sunday. Eventually the date was formulated roughly as "the first Sunday after the full moon that occurs on or after the vernal equinox." This can range between March 22 and April 25.

According to the eighth-century theologian the Venerable Bede (who came up with the dating system of AD and BC), Easter is named for Eostre, an Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring. She is associated with the egg and with the hare, both symbols of procreation that have been enduringly incorporated by the church in the form of Easter eggs and the Easter bunny who brings them.

How to celebrate Easter:

Attend an Easter vigil, when baptisms take place, Alleluias are said for the first time since the beginning of Lent and the Paschal candle is lit. Decorate your home and church in white and gold, the colors of Easter. Wear new clothes to represent a new beginning, especially an Easter bonnet.

Hide decorated Easter eggs for children to find, to represent coming out of the womb/tomb (i.e., Easter's intertwined themes of fertility and resurrection).

Take part in an Easter egg roll. The White House first hosted one during the administration of Rutherford B. Hayes.

Did you know?

Easter egg can also refer to an unexpected goodie hidden inside software, a movie, book, CD or DVD. The name comes from the traditional Easter egg hunt.

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Hey Pat, thanks for posting these Easter traditions. I knew a few of the facts, but certainly not all by any means - very interesting!

Later...

Joan

blade2k5

Some interesting fact about Easter Pat.  Enjoyable read :)

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

Pat

WOW I missed something here tonight and I feel sooo bad that it happend without a sneeze... March 13, 2007, 03:18:14 PM » Started Waterfalls here on SC4D and that is 2 years ago!!! I feel so stinking bad that I missed my own anniversary wow what kind of host am I??? I've been sucked into GRV II Bordertown and having a blast at it too... I guess its because I've been forced to play the game and really learn to play it....

Waterfalls is not dead and by far from it!!! I do for this update of Waterfalls encourage everyone to come on over to my Bordertown[linkie].... I have also made it to the LEX finally with my texture pack which I think is soo cool and I still have a few more projects I got to fix and finish up and they will hopefully be off on the LEX as well...

So just a small update from me here tonight to let you all know I am still alive admist of RL issues...  I haven't said this in a loooooooooong time so here this comes from me,

To all the lurkers out and about lemme know what you think even you just stop by to say HI so that way I know you love Waterfalls todate!!! Also I want to thank you all again for your wonderful support here!!! Till next time!!!

Your Tour Guide To Waterfalls...

Patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

tooheys

Another 2 year MD, well done Pat  &apls I know what you mean about GRV, it does eat into your playing hours big time but it's worth it as you've pointed out. I've been absent a bit lately but hope to see an update soon.

Dave

Pat

Thank you Dave!!! I know its been fun playing GRV!!! Switching to a new machine has been a real pain as since I am trying to do my military base and all my plugins are screwed that I wanted to use.... Anywho I will have a waterfalls update soon here in a few days...

Pat

Pat

*sneeks in mops out the mud from dave who left his muddy paw prints after wadding in the water on this hot summer day...*

WOW guess what all its time for a...........................

So now without a further ado here is some city building I've been doing in the Town of River Bow in the region of Silver Bow...

Finally here is some water works.... It wouldn't be Waterfalls without some TPW now would it??

Haljackey

Great to see you back Pat!  Nice update!  I liked the hilly farms and the River Bow!

kimcar

Great to see that you still working on Waterfalls :thumbsup:. Nice update &apls , but i`m curious about the water texture that you use , i mean the river one

Jmouse

Love the farms, Pat. Nice looking CBD, too. Glad to see you got the best of those pesky computer problems, and you're back on track now.

Later...
Joan

Pat

OK getting back in the saddle here after playing GRV II Bordertown very hard and intense and well I feel bad neglecting Waterfalls so with that here are some reply's to the update from 6/27.......  Don't worry I am by far from ending GRV II Bordertown as I am playing till the end of the challenge!!!! But I must warn all my readers if I tend to slack off in here give me a gentle nudge that you want some Waterfalls in my board in the Players section of GRV II....

Quote from: Haljackey on June 27, 2009, 01:42:16 PM
Great to see you back Pat!  Nice update!  I liked the hilly farms and the River Bow!

Haljackey: Hey Hal thank you very much, its good to get back to working on Waterfalls... Thanks for stopping by and I hope to see you soon again!!!

Quote from: kimcar on June 27, 2009, 02:03:41 PM
Great to see that you still working on Waterfalls :thumbsup:. Nice update &apls , but i`m curious about the water texture that you use , i mean the river one

kimcar: HI there Kim as I told Hal its great to be back too!!! I will never give up on Waterfalls just the updates may slip a bit but I will always keep it open and running for as long as well till no one wants to stop in I guess...  The river is made with Jeronij's TPW and I have also a sand beach mod installed that I got from simtropolis... Which mod I don't remember off hand but as soon as I find it I will let you know...

Quote from: Jmouse on June 27, 2009, 02:05:35 PM
Love the farms, Pat. Nice looking CBD, too. Glad to see you got the best of those pesky computer problems, and you're back on track now.

Later...
Joan

Jmouse: Heeeey Joan thank you soo much and I am glad you liked those farms... I learned to work some farming like that from GRV II so you can say it really has taught me again how to play!!! Oooh yea with the great help of the community I was able to kick those evil vista problems lol... I am trying to stay on track now Joan and I ask if you could also help me stay on track please???  Cause I noticed I got a bad nack of lately derailing here lol...

tooheys

Looking good Pat, I really like the fields on the hills. Nicely done mate  :thumbsup:

Schulmanator

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Pat

Independence Day     

Displays of fireworks, such as these over the Washington Monument, take place nationwide.
Also called: The Fourth of July, The Glorious Fourth, The Fourth
Observed by: United States
Type:   National
Significance: The day the Declaration of Independence was adopted by the Continental Congress
Date: July 4
Celebrations: Fireworks, Family reunions, Concerts, Barbecues, Picnics, Parades, Baseball games

An 1825 invitation to an Independence Day celebration

Fireworks over Miami, Florida, on Independence Day, 2007. Bank of America Tower is also lit with the red, white, and blue color scheme.

Originally entitled Yankee Doodle, this is one of several versions of a scene painted by A. M. Willard that came to be known as The Spirit of '76. Often imitated or parodied, it is a familiar symbol of American patriotism.

Independence Day (United States)

In the United States, Independence Day, commonly known as the Fourth of July, is a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, declaring independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain. Independence Day is commonly associated with fireworks, parades, barbecues, carnivals, fairs, picnics, concerts, baseball games, political speeches and ceremonies, and various other public and private events celebrating the history, government, and traditions of the United States. Independence Day is the national day of the United States..

Background

During the American Revolution, the legal separation of the American colonies from Great Britain occurred on July 2, 1776, when the Second Continental Congress voted to approve a resolution of independence that had been proposed in June by Richard Henry Lee of Virginia.[4] After voting for independence, Congress turned its attention to the Declaration of Independence, a statement explaining this decision, which had been prepared by a Committee of Five, with Thomas Jefferson as its principal author. Congress debated and revised the Declaration, finally approving it on July 4. A day earlier, John Adams had written to his wife Abigail:"   The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.[5]   "

Adams' prediction was off by two days. From the outset, Americans celebrated independence on July 4, the date shown on the much-publicized Declaration of Independence, rather than on July 2, the date the resolution of independence was approved in a closed session of Congress.[6]

One of the most enduring myths about Independence Day is that Congress signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776.[7][8] The myth had become so firmly established that, decades after the event and nearing the end of their lives, even the elderly Thomas Jefferson and John Adams had come to believe that they and the other delegates had signed the Declaration on the fourth.[9] Most delegates actually signed the Declaration on August 2, 1776.[10] In a remarkable series of coincidences, both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, two founding fathers of the United States and the only two men who signed the Declaration of Independence to become president, died on the same day: July 4, 1826, which was the United States' 50th anniversary. President James Monroe died exactly five years later, on July 4, 1831, but he was not a signatory to the Declaration of Independence.

Observance

In 1777, thirteen gunshots were fired, once at morning and again as evening fell, on July 4 in Bristol, Rhode Island. Philadelphia celebrated the first anniversary in a manner a modern American would find quite familiar: an official dinner for the Continental Congress, toasts, 13-gun salutes, speeches, prayers, music, parades, troop reviews, and fireworks. Ships were decked with red, white, and blue bunting.

In 1778, General George Washington marked July 4 with a double ration of rum for his soldiers and an artillery salute. Across the Atlantic Ocean, ambassadors John Adams and Benjamin Franklin held a dinner for their fellow Americans in Paris, France.

In 1779, July 4 fell on a Sunday. The holiday was celebrated on Monday, July 5.

In 1781, the Massachusetts General Court became the first state legislature to recognize July 4 as a state celebration.

In 1783, Moravians in Salem, North Carolina, held a celebration of July 4 with a challenging music program assembled by Johann Friedrich Peter. This work was titled "The Psalm of Joy".

In 1791, the first recorded use of the name "Independence Day" occurred.

In 1870, the U.S. Congress made Independence Day an unpaid holiday for federal employees.

In 1938, Congress changed Independence Day to a paid federal holiday.

Customs

Independence Day is a national holiday marked by patriotic displays. Similar to other summer-themed events, Independence Day celebrations often take place outdoors. Independence Day is a federal holiday, so all non-essential federal institutions (like the postal service and federal courts) are closed on that day. Many politicians make it a point on this day to appear at a public event to praise the nation's heritage, laws, history, society, and people.

Families often celebrate Independence Day by hosting or attending a picnic or barbecue and take advantage of the day off and, in some years, long weekend to gather with relatives. Decorations (e.g., streamers, balloons, and clothing) are generally colored red, white, and blue, the colors of the American flag. Parades often are in the morning, while fireworks displays occur in the evening at such places as parks, fairgrounds, or town squares.

Independence Day fireworks are often accompanied by patriotic songs such as the national anthem "The Star-Spangled Banner", "God Bless America", "America the Beautiful", "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", "This Land Is Your Land", "Stars and Stripes Forever", and, regionally, "Yankee Doodle" in northeastern states and "Dixie" in southern states. Some of the lyrics recall images of the Revolutionary War or the War of 1812.

Firework shows are held in many states, and many fireworks are sold for personal use or as an alternative to a public show. Safety concerns have led some states to ban fireworks or limit the sizes and types allowed. Illicit traffic transfers many fireworks from less restrictive states.

A salute of one gun for each state in the United States, called a "salute to the union," is fired on Independence Day at noon by any capable military base.[15]

Major displays are held in New York on the East River or Hudson River, in Chicago on Lake Michigan, in San Diego over Mission Bay, in Boston on the Charles River, in St. Louis on the Mississippi River, and on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. During the annual Windsor-Detroit International Freedom Festival, Detroit, Michigan, host one of the world's largest fireworks displays, over the Detroit River, to celebrate Independence Day.

While the official observance always falls on July 4th, participation levels may vary according to which day of the week the 4th falls on. If the holiday falls in the middle of the week, some fireworks displays and celebrations may take place during the weekend for convenience, again, varying by region.

Unique or historical celebrations

Held since 1785, the Bristol Fourth of July Parade in Bristol, Rhode Island is the oldest continuous Independence Day celebration in the United States.

Since 1912, the Rebild Society, a Danish-American friendship organization, has held a July 4th weekend festival that serves as a homecoming for Danish-Americans in the Rebild section of Denmark.[16]

Since 1916, Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York City supposedly started as a way to settle a dispute among four immigrants as to who was the most patriotic.

Since 1959, the International Freedom Festival is jointly held in Detroit, Michigan and Windsor, Ontario during the last week of June each year as a mutual celebration of Independence Day and Canada Day (July 1). It culminates in a large fireworks display over the Detroit River.
Numerous major and minor league baseball games are played on Independence Day.
The famous Macy's fireworks display usually held over the East River in New York City has been televised nationwide on NBC since 1976. In 2009, the fireworks display was returned to the Hudson River for the first time since 2000 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson's exploration of that river.[17]

Since 1970, the annual 10 kilometer Peachtree Road Race is held in Atlanta, Georgia.

Since 1973, the Boston Pops Orchestra hosts a music and fireworks show over the Charles River Esplanade called the "Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular".[18] The event has been broadcast nationally since 2007 on CBS.[19]
On the Capitol lawn in Washington, D.C., "A Capitol Fourth," a free concert, precedes the fireworks and attracts over half a million people annually.

Well everyone I hope you all that do celebrate the 4th of July had a save and happy one at that!!! I will be posting the display I recorded as soon as possible... The fireworks show I got was from my home Rhinelander display... I wasnt able to get the one I was suppossed to be at last night siiigh... anywho for all rights Source Wiki