• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Utilization of RHW2's?

Started by redbullet93f1, June 08, 2011, 02:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbullet93f1

Ive been getting a lot in to Rhw recently, it really grown on me and my regions looks better then ever before!

But RHW-2 are kind of a mystery to me, a road-sized highway... I'm clueless on there potential utilization  ()what()

So how do you guys use 'em? I know most of you just jump straight to RHW 8s and RHW 10  ::) but I'm building a new region and i what to use RHW2

strucka

I mostly use it to connect the cities at first, but only in rural areas. I have a 10 big tile city with over 2.5mil sims and a few cities with couple of 100.000 residents, that are mostly some 45km away from the main city (that's 10 or more big tiles). First I grow the small cities slowly, so they are visible in the region, then I connect them with preplanned roads, rails and RHW2, that are ussually just bypasses of roads and after that slowly start to build the villages and small towns near those. The highways are ofcourse made with expansion in mind, so RHW2's are built with 4tile gap overpasses, so that one day, this thing could be built-up to wider than 4 lane networks. I also make all the exit's with ramps. So no intersections on the highway, except at the end it's usually a roundabout. But in the cities RHW2 is almost exclusively reserved for exits and in some cases connecting the highway to the city road network.

jdenm8

I usually use RHW-2 for what most people use it for, rural highways and expressways.
It's good to build when you don't think there's a requirement to build an RHW-4 motorway, yet there is still need for a motorway.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Ramona Brie

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 08, 2011, 06:03:47 PM
I usually use RHW-2 for what most people use it for, rural highways and expressways.
It's good to build when you don't think there's a requirement to build an RHW-4 motorway, yet there is still need for a motorway.

Yeah. I've upgraded parts of RHW-2s I have, but not all. When RHW-3 comes out I'll probably build some 2+1 roads before focusing on RHW-2 to RHW-4 upgrades.

Dexist

The most highways in my country are rhw4 like.(in and arround city, from big 1 city to another)

But the most rural are like the rhw2. Connecting a lot of smaller cities, and/or villages. in the rural area.

So i use them like that in simcity 4 too :)
i use them alot in farmingzones/industry

Patricius Maximus

Almost all of my freeways and expressways are RHW-4 or greater, but usually don't exceed RHW-8. Stretches of RHW-10 exist in my regions, although they are rare. The standard baseline freeway has 2 lanes on each side, to enable passing, which is a baseline I follow to make sure that the freeways and expressways in my region are full-fledged throughout the network. Another reason is that the traffic in my region is so heavy that RHW-4 or greater is necessary.

However, I do find uses for RHW-2s, believe it or not. RHW-2s are useful as high-speed arterial roads, high-speed collector roads (not to be confused with collector/distributor roads) or lower-trafficked expressways. I have used them for that many times, most often in the arterial road role. RHW-2s do this better than ordinary roads because they have higher speed and capacity. RHW-2s also don't support development on the road, so they fit well into the arterial road role (although arterials can have direct connections, higher-grade ones don't). They also can be utilized as expressways.

Theoretically, RHW-2s can be used in my regions for local, lower-trafficked freeways (probably expressways which have had the last of their at-grade intersections upgraded to interchanges), but they haven't as of yet.

So that is my take on the utilization of the RHW-2 network in my region. The above is how I use them or conceivably will use them in the future. As for how you could use them in your region, you could of course use it in all the ways outlined above, or you could use them for roads that function as full-fledged freeways.

gooper1

I use RHW-2s in small towns as bypasses, when there is not enough demand for an RHW-4. I also use it in agricultural/sparse areas (when I have lots of space to build a freeway) as a means of navigating from town to town, while providing quick access to all those freight trucks going to the farms.

-Gooper1

P.S. I almost always like to build RHW-2s with expansion in mind, so if the need arises, RHW-4 conversion isn't hard to do. I've actually had to do this quite a few times (due to increases in population).
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Bunny is a friend of weasels. So should you. GO WEASELS GO!

j-dub

In SC4 terms, road has traffic signals by default. RHW-2 does not. That was my motive for using it in the rural areas.