• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Multiple Overlaying Textures

Started by Sorengaard, January 30, 2009, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorengaard

Hi all,  I have wanted and have seen lot tiles with two overlay textures.  When I try and do this placeing the second texture eliminates the first texture. So my question is how do I place the second texture without eliminating the first texture?  I have tried using the ctrl + up/down arrow keys to suposedly raise/lower the elevation of selected asset.  I don't even know if this works because I don't see a difference.  So any suggestions would be a big help.  Thanks  Steve

sim-al2

Textures cannot be raised in elevation. That would be...   pointless, to say the least. ???

Anyway, it's difficult to explain in words, but try the following.
First, select the texture you which to lay overlay and place it next to the square you want to have it on.
Next, duplicate it and hover over the exact square. Now hit "d" again and hit the "m" key twice (you should rotate the texture to the desired orientation before starting.)
Then click! Don't try to select the texture again or the top one will delete it's self. ()what()
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

Sorengaard

Hey,  Thanks for the help.  It worked just fine. No problems. So once again thanks for the quick response.  Steve

FlyHigh

Sorry for bumping this thread. I've just used this technique and it worked exactly as it should, thanks.
I was wondering though if someone could explain why and how does this technique work.

Many thanks  ;)
>>> Maxwell R. Black <<<

mgb204

I'm not sure what you mean by why? If you mean why such a convoluted procedure, then I'd guess it's because you are not supposed to have two overlay textures, if any part of the two overlap each other, except the transparent parts, the game doesn't know which part to show since there is no way to order the overlays. Therefore this is a work around to force LE to accept both, another option is to use SC4-PIM (PIM-X) as it allows you to have multiple overlays, just bear in mind the overlapping issue.

Since the game has no way of setting the order of overlays, if you want to use two that overlap, the best practice is to extract the two (or more) overlays you want together, then combine them in a photo editor to create a new overlay texture. This way the order of the layers used in the photo editor can be set to your liking before combining them into a single image, ensuring the textures show correctly when used in-game.