• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Eyecandy for Highways

Started by Larsaf, July 05, 2014, 01:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larsaf

Hi,

I'm searching for some "eyecandy-lots" like street lamps, signs etc. for my Highways. Any suggestions?

regards
Klaus

MandelSoft

Try out the following from my STEX collection:
- LRM v5.1, any version. Contains not only an override for the standard streetlights, but also set plopable lights.
- Various signage sets: Dutch, French, Swiss, UK, Ontario, Danish, Norwegian (quite limited), Imaginia (fictional)

For a German signage set, I'd recommend Pitti's already excellent German Autobahn Signage pack.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

cmdp123789

Maarten, can I ask you something? I have your LRM already, but where do I find the plopable lights?

MandelSoft

You can find them somewhere at the bottom of the Parks menu. That is if you copied the files for those plopable lights into your plugins folder.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

noahclem

I use Maarten's signs (French & German Matrix) and his street lights (German & ploppable American)--both are very nice and something I'd recommend. I've checked out Pitti's signs and they're also quite good. I forget why but after trying both I decided to use Maarten's.

Girafe also made some nice smaller road signs (speed limits, yield, etc) that are on the LEX iirc. The batting is excellent, as you'd expect from him, but the lots generate police automata which can be annoying.

eggman also made some nice signs.

joshua43214

I second Maarten's LRM.
I had issues with the installer version on the STEX (v4.0), the file is outdated and needs to be locked. I could not find a newer version, here is what I did;
Download the installer version from the STEX, but do not install. Open the readme and chose a light set you like. Click on the "more files from the author" link and download the set you like and manually install it.
I use the darknight mod, but found the darknight LRM looked pretty bad on my machine. I ended up using the maxis night version with my darknight mod. I suspect differences in video cards make one version look better than the other.

You will end up with a boatload of lights cluttering up your menu, the USA version I chose has like 5 different versions of each type of light.
I moved everything into DAMN, and sorted the Chicago ones to the top of the menu. If you don't use DAMN, you can always open the dat file in the Reader and copy the desired stuff into a new dat.

Maarten's highway are also the my favorite, I like the Ontario set - it has about everything I like.

Lakeyboy has a sign set with a few goodies like Freeway Start and End.
B87 has speed limit signs.
There is also a nice set of yellow warning signs (curves, merges, etc) I use, but I can't remember who makes it.
I think I got most of it from the STEX.

compdude787

Quote from: joshua43214 on August 13, 2014, 08:34:40 AM
I second Maarten's LRM.
I had issues with the installer version on the STEX (v4.0), the file is outdated and needs to be locked. I could not find a newer version, here is what I did;
Download the installer version from the STEX, but do not install. Open the readme and chose a light set you like. Click on the "more files from the author" link and download the set you like and manually install it.

There is an updated version of the LRM, v5.1. MandelSoft has split it up into different sets for several different countries. Download the set that would work well with your region; he got rid of the installer because apparently it was too much of a pain on his end to deal with.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

joshua43214

Quote from: compdude787 on August 13, 2014, 09:25:44 AM
I second Maarten's LRM.

There is an updated version of the LRM, v5.1. MandelSoft has split it up into different sets for several different countries. Download the set that would work well with your region; he got rid of the installer because apparently it was too much of a pain on his end to deal with.

Indeed. The steps I described will install v5.1.

The issue most people will encounter is that you can't find v5.1 by searching for it, Google always kicks up v4.0, and the Simtropolis search engine will not accept "5.1" (it returns "51"). Just about the only reliable way to find the sets is to follow the "other files by this author" link. The other issue of course is that downloading v4.0 is the only way to get images for directly comparing each light to make a choice for the individual set.

This is why I said the v4.0 download should be locked, or at least deprecated and replaced with image files, and a link to the individual 5.1 files.

This is IMO the absolute best light mod in existence. Like all of Maarten's stuff, it is meticulous in its detail and of the best quality.

compdude787

Quote from: joshua43214 on August 15, 2014, 07:29:18 AM
Quote from: compdude787 on August 13, 2014, 09:25:44 AM
I second Maarten's LRM.

Indeed. The steps I described will install v5.1.

The issue most people will encounter is that you can't find v5.1 by searching for it, Google always kicks up v4.0, and the Simtropolis search engine will not accept "5.1" (it returns "51"). Just about the only reliable way to find the sets is to follow the "other files by this author" link. The other issue of course is that downloading v4.0 is the only way to get images for directly comparing each light to make a choice for the individual set.

This is why I said the v4.0 download should be locked, or at least deprecated and replaced with image files, and a link to the individual 5.1 files.

This is IMO the absolute best light mod in existence. Like all of Maarten's stuff, it is meticulous in its detail and of the best quality.

Oh, well, when I was looking for the Light Replacement Mod, I just searched for "light replacement mod." Although I do agree that the older versions of this mod should either be locked or Maarten should put a message on the download page telling people there's a newer version available.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel