• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

(Resolved)Roaming blackouts/ my power grid is throwing a tantrum.

Started by timemasterc, February 16, 2016, 07:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timemasterc

There are square gaps in my power grid that randomly appear and disappear in some of my cities for seemingly no reason.

They just roam around and cause mayhem, not even power-plants are immune. Have you ever seen a wind-turbine powering everything...but itself, because I have and it's frustrating as hell.

So, can someone please tell me what causes this and how to get rid of it?

Sorry I should've mentioned that I also have more than enough power.

It turns out that although the game said I had enough power it failed to mention that all of the power plants needed to be connected to the power grid.  The reason I didn't notice this was that the only power plants not connected to everything else where waste-to-energy plants which I built to get rid of garbage and totally ignored that they produced power.

InvisiChem

I can't really see in the pictures, too small and not expanding.

Here is the normal cause though. Not enough power generated for the amount being used. Query your power plant and check the utilization. At about 90%, I place another power plant. Again, this is just the normal reason for rolling blackouts. Remember, wind power does not produce much power at all, is expensive, but very clean.

From what I can see, it does not seem as though you have a grid problem, everything seems to be within distance for reaching a power supply.

If this is definitely not the cause, let us know if you are using any mods and any other details about your city and game that may be important to help us trouble shoot the issue.
Everyone has something to offer, most do not possess the courage to offer it.

timemasterc

As for mods I have installed I have NAM, CAM, Marrast_Underpasses, Simfox Day'n Nite, God Terraforming in Mayor Mode, FunctionalLandmarks, X-Ports, Photovoltaic PowerPlants, CSX WFK - Wave Power, BRF_TunnelAndSlopeMod, a ton of PEG stuff, and more lots, bats, dats, and Dependencies that I can count. I might be forgetting somthing.

InvisiChem

From that I don't see anything that should be conflicting. I just looked up the photovoltaic set, nice BAT. :)  But the small lots still only produce a small amount of power.

How is your power utilization?

Swordmaster

Seeing you have enough power, that's an interesting bug. I haven't seen it before. Could you try setting up a test city where you can do an incremental plugins search with? (Start up with no plugins, see if the bug exists, add plugins bit by bit and see if it occurs at any given moment. You should only add the suspicious ones, like power plant lots, mods, that kind of thing.)

Cheers
Willy

threestooges

I used to have instances where my RCI zone colors would mix and mingle. I don't see any no power zots in your pictures. Have you experienced abandonment of buildings due to lack of power? How does the power usage line graph look? If that's fine, it may just be a graphics issue.

timemasterc

Quote from: threestooges on February 16, 2016, 11:02:55 AM
I used to have instances where my RCI zone colors would mix and mingle. I don't see any no power zots in your pictures. Have you experienced abandonment of buildings due to lack of power? How does the power usage line graph look? If that's fine, it may just be a graphics issue.
You can't see it from the pictures but those buildings are actually without power and I have experienced abandonment of buildings due to lack of power, or water when the blackouts move to the pumps.

InvisiChem

I see the resolved on the subject line now, but I'm not sure from reading this what the issue turned out to be. I am very curious. Like Swordmaster said,

QuoteSeeing you have enough power, that's an interesting bug. I haven't seen it before.

timemasterc

Quote from: InvisiChem on February 16, 2016, 05:39:55 PM
I see the resolved on the subject line now, but I'm not sure from reading this what the issue turned out to be. I am very curious. Like Swordmaster said,

QuoteSeeing you have enough power, that's an interesting bug. I haven't seen it before.
From what I can tell, the game was telling me that I had enough total power but not that some of it wasn't reaching my buildings.

InvisiChem

Interesting glitch. I'm stumped, so if you can duplicate it and identify exactly what is causing it be sure to let us know.