• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 2008/2009

Started by Schleicher68, December 22, 2008, 01:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schleicher68

NAM 2008/2009 alle sind schon super gespannt. Sie können es kaum noch aushalten!  $%Grinno$%
Es ist die reinste Folter!

Wann, ja wann kommt er denn nun?  %confuso

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5665034/NAM_2008_2009_kommt

j-dub

Quote from: Schleicher68NAM 2008/2009 all are already super strained. They can hardly still bear it!  $%Grinno$%
It is the purest torture!

2009? Is that what this video is? It was a decent video, more of a city fly-by than anything else. There is visibility problems at the beginning though, so its hard to tell whats there on a big monitor. I would suggest not recording so far out. Once you get closer in, you could see stuff better. The only new NAM teaser I saw in this video looks like T-RAM stuff.

Schleicher68

Nun ja, dieser Kurzfilm soll auch kein Werbefilm sein. Es ist nur ein Ausschnitt aus einer meiner Teststädte. Ich habe dabei nicht so auf Äußerlichkeiten geachtet. Für mich waren die inhaltlichen Argumente in diesem Kurzbeitrag entscheidender.
Erst mal meinen Respekt j-dub! Obwohl der Film ja so schlecht ist, ist Dir zumindes eine von den Neuerungen aufgefallen!
Die Nachricht, die ich hier mitteilen will, ist ehr, daß die Mitglieder und Gäste des deutschen SimForums eine sehr hohe Erwartungshaltung haben, wann der neue NAM nun endlich herauskommt. Angesichts der vielen Neuerungen des letzten dreiviertel Jahres ist es langsam an der Zeit!
Andererseits würde es für die Entwickler des NAM auch von Vorteil sein, wenn sie wieder eine neue Grundlage für ihre Weiterentwicklungen bekommen würden. Derzeit existieren sehr viele neue Fragmente im Entwicklungsbereich, die gebündelt werden sollten, um wieder auf einen einheitlichen Standart zu kommen.
Wie weit sind denn so die einzelnen Arbeitsgruppen?

j-dub

I respect your film. It was the video host that made it more difficult to see, but that is only the beginning. At least you can make a SimCity video. Some people only dream of being able to do it. I would not say the film is bad at all. If anything the T-RAM stuff is shown in action. You also have proved great usage of the RHW.  I would expect the T-RAM to be a core feature since GLR already is. Also Joe's new viaducts could be a core NAM feature as well. People have been expecting the type of changes which he made for awhile.

As for the individual groups,
RHW -without revealing too much, it looks like the wait may not take 2 years later, but some time unexpectedly. I seriously think this is going to release before a 2009 NAM.   
NWM -I definitely do not see it coming out in 09. Just like the new RHW, there is alot of global benefit from this mod because of the MAVEs, ASR and wide OWRs. 2009 is when work will resume on this mod. 
Single Track Rail -It looks like it has a decent amount of stuff already, but there is more stuff to be accomplished. That may be a RAM team release.
Finally the FARR pieces, don't recall Euro textures accomplished yet, but the last time I checked, I thought this mod people got their hands on this year. I think the FARR pieces should continue as NAM core since the current road curves would be in the same tab ring as this.

The last thing here is the road turning lanes plugins. What makes this debatable is should this be NAM core required or not? Some people expressed concerns about new limitations at hand because they cannot draw automatically. They are real easy to draw them manually though. Timing is the other thing. Once they are pathed it won't take 30 seconds and longer to draw one, but right not since they are not pathed, and there is no legacy support, this is something that can't be used right now, as traffic will not travel on it, and existing roads would be affected. Tarkus looks like he got this plugin pathed and signalized, but Jason had been originally taken care of this.

So to summarize I suggest a 2009 NAM could be by bundling
-T-RAM
-FLUPS
-the current FARR
-ArchkenbridgeJoe's rail viaduct puzzle pieces

4 things are enough, right?

Schleicher68

Ich danke Dir für die ausführliche Antwort zur Situation.
Ich denke, dass es auch einigen Nutzern helfen wird, diese Zusammenfassung zu lesen. Meiner Ansicht sind die 4 angesprochenen Neuerungen des NAM für die meiste schon eine Verbesserung.
Bei T-RAM haben wir erst einmal einen Schnitt gemacht, um den Nutzern die neue Strecke nahe zu bringen. Allerdings fehlen dort immer noch einige Teile. Aber für den Anfang ist es doch ein ausreichendes Sortiment. Vielleicht spricht das Straßenbahnsystem als wirkliche Straßenbahn, weniger als eine am boden fahrende Hochbahn (Schnellbahn, S-Bahn) auch die Amerikaner nun doch auch mal an. Ja, ich weiß, ihr favorisiert das Auto. Aber man kann ja mal darüber nachdenken.
Ich würde hier in diesem Teil des Forums eine Präsentation zur T-RAM setzen. Leider ist mein Englisch nicht so stark, so dass ich die Präsentation nur hier im internationalen/deutschen Teil einsetzen werde. Chrisim will sie eventuell ins Englisch übersetzen, je nachdem wie es ihm möglich ist.

Recht vielen Dank noch einmal an Dich j-dub.

j-dub

Your welcome. By the way have you tried Dedgren's plain 1x1 straight and diagonal road pieces? I just tried them yesterday. These seem like they would also be a good candidate for a bundled NAM update.

Jonathan

Andreas, help? This topic seems interesting, yet it makes me wish I listen more in German classes, and google translate doesn't make alot of sense. So could you or someone translate it?

Jonathan

Andreas

Translation of Schleicher68's postings:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6611.msg210082#msg210082: Well, that short video is not intended as advertisement. It's basically a snapshot from my test city, and I didn't care for the looks that much. That's why I thought the content was more important. Anyway, respect to j-dub! Even though the video was rather tiny, you noticed at least one of the new items. The message that I want to tell here is that the German SimForum members have high expectations, and they wonder when the new NAM will be released. Since there are so many new items, and the last release is almost nine months ago, it's about time! On the other hand, it will be an advantage for other developers if they could get a new base for their creations. At the moment, there are a lot of fragments that are currently under development, those should be bundled in order to achieve a new standard. What's the progress of the various development groups?

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6611.msg210307#msg210307 Thanks for your detailed reply about the current situation. I think reading this summary will be helpful for other users as well. I think the four new items for the NAM that were mentioned are an improvement for most of the people. For T-RAM, we decided to do a cut now, in order to make it available for everyone soon. There are still some pieces missing, but it should be enough for a start. I hope that the GLR as real tram, rather than a ground-based lightrail will attract American users as well. Yes, I know, you favor the car, but you can think about it for a change. I'd like to post a presentation for T-RAM in this part of the forums, but unfortunately, my English is not good enough, so I can only post it in the German section ofthis forum. Chrisim might want to translate them into English, though, depending on his free time.
Andreas

Jonathan

Thanks, some of the google translation is the exact opposite :)

A NAM update won't be too far away, but you what do you mean by bundled? In one big download?, that is too large file for all the SimCity Exchanges.

Jonathan

Andreas

@Jonathan: I guess I didn't translate that properly. ;) What Schleicher meant was collecting all loose beta files for a proper release, like the previous NAM versions.
Andreas

nerdly_dood

I'm thinking that Dedgren is doing a significant portion of work on the STR, so idk if that would make him an unauthorized RAM team member? :D (I haven't checked if he is or not actually)
I'm not expecting the NWM anytime soon at all, considering how useless I've heard it is right now...
I'd REALLY like the new NAM turning lane plugin to be released, even if it isn't compatible with the one we currently have available because my experience has been that I can just click the road tool over the old RTL intersections (which will show up as blank terrain) and they will show up as plain road intersections without turning lanes. I should also mention that the STR beta that Dedgren sent me and many others has disabled the current RTL plugin - they still show up, and they still work, but no turning lanes are created when new road intersections are built. But that isn't a major problem IMO, so I won't sweat it. In addition, if it is made a NAM core plugin, it doesn't mean that you have to use it, right? I would want to have everything installed that there is the slightest chance that I might want to use it, and I'll certainly be installing the new turning lane plugin when it's released.

And ??? what on earth does FLUPS stand for?

So yeah... I could handle a NAM release anytime, but only if it's release-ready and everyone agrees about it.

EDIT/ÄNDERUNG: Wird dies nicht angenommen, auf Deutsch zu sein? $%Grinno$%

My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

j-dub

F.L.U.P.s
Flexible Length Under Passes

Jonathan

The NWM is in very early stages, so it is not meant to be ready for release and naturally won't be very easy to use.
You can't live in a house without the roof :)

David, has created all the puzzle pieces in the STR, so he's definately part of the RAM team ;) (What happened to the multiple team labels there<<<?)

The NWM is incompatible with the current RTL plugin, so in order to use the NWM you need the new one.

Taking out the RULs for the current (old) RTL plugin won't remove the turning lanes from your city because the textures are still in your plugins folder. But the mechanism(the RULs) for creating new turning lanes (the old way) is no longer there so no new Turning lanes will be created by just dragging road over road.

You will still be able to opt out of the turning lanes when you install the NAM but while you won't be able to choose the old one.

Andreas, no it makes sense I sometimes have trouble understanding English ;)

Jonathan

wes.janson

Now that we know what F.L.U.P. stands for.. what exactly does it entail?

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

Andreas

It's basically a system of underground network puzzle pieces, which enables you to build tunnels around corners or modular underpasses (with the same flexibility as the overpass puzzle pieces). The only disadvantage is that you can't plop buildings etc. on the tiles that those pieces are occupying.
Andreas

Chrisim

MandelSoft

This goes WAAAAY off-topic. This is the German Supportforum, and most of this is discussed in English. I ask a moderator to move (maybe a part of) this topic to the main NAM-section.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Andreas

Moved to NAM Place due to general interest. ;)
Andreas