• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM unemployment question

Started by ZetZet, October 24, 2007, 09:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZetZet

Hello,

After i installed CAM i started a new region, now with 6 cities in it. In all these cities there are vacant jobs, but the Census overview says i got overal an unemployment of around 200-300k. Anyone has the same thing? Can it be the people who are working in Civic jobs, who are therefore considered unemployed?

Seconth problem for me is the Co$$$, the demand is very high but the #Co$$$-jobs stays 7,122. For very long now. I have tried alot; low taxes; massive amount of Plaza's, the highest landmarks, but the Co$$$ just wont expand further. Does anyone know a solution for this?

Thnks in advance.

p.s. Below is the Census of my maincity, also the city with the Co$$$ problem.

RippleJet

If every city shows available jobs, but the region doesn't, you probably suffer from eternal commuters.
Having eternal commuters will increase the regional residential capacity seen in each city, and sum up to the total reported.

Since the total workforce (depending on your HQ) seen in your region is between 40% and 60% of your residential capacity,
you will also have an imaginary workforce, being a lot larger than the true workforce.

Add the individual workforce numbers reported for each city and compare them to the regional workforce shown.
The more the values differ from each other, the more eternal commuters you've got.

Read the section in the manual about eternal commuters, and see if you can find commuters going around in circles by route querying each road close to a corner.
If you have lots of eternal commuters, you might want to restart with a new region, since you will never get rid of those eternal commuters you've already got...

Once you've experienced eternal commuter you will be more aware about them and be able to plan your city connections accordingly. :thumbsup:

ZetZet

after comparing workforces i shocked a bit; the sum of all my cities is +/- 710 000, Census gives a regional workforce of 1 454 920 people......

so i got around 744 000 eternal commuters? omg  :'( then im gonna start a new region

I have read the manual, but one thing i dont understand. (example below)

my city-connections were build like this (image below) can this summon eternal commuters? At the beginning without the blue connection between the 2 lower cities. For a short time the blue connection was up, did this summon the eternal commuters?  or can eternal commuters also show up with only the white connections?

thnks

ZetZet

to see how a new city develops in the census menu, i just started a new region and a new city, after 15 min playing, i looked at my census, and the (only city in region)cityworkforce was 50% of the region workforce. It seems my Census is taking my workforcenumbers and doubles them for the region overview, is that normal?

RippleJet

Quote from: ZetZet on October 24, 2007, 03:10:43 PM
to see how a new city develops in the census menu, i just started a new region and a new city, after 15 min playing, i looked at my census, and the (only city in region)cityworkforce was 50% of the region workforce. It seems my Census is taking my workforcenumbers and doubles them for the region overview, is that normal?

No, that isn't normal. And you are making me a bit confused as well... ()what()
In a one-city region with no neighbour connections, the regional capacities and workforce should indeed be the same as for the city, not doubled.
The regional residential capacity should be like for commercial and industrial... the same as for the city itself.

And your regional layout is not a bad layout with regard to eternal commuters...
The blue connection should be placed as far south as possible, then it should be safe.

What I could imagine is what we experienced when starting a new city in a region that wasn't completely new.
E.g. if you delete a city in a region and save it, the region isn't new anymore, even if all city tiles are blank.

This latest region you started, is it completely brand new (newly rendered map)?
Or have you ever done anything in that region previously?

ZetZet

To test this problem i made 2 new cities far from each other, without any region connections, on a total new region. The same effect appears, immediatly after the start of the cities. In these cities i've played 2 mins both.

according to region overview i got 392 people living in the region. there happens something strange in the region counter.

yesterday i readed a topic @ simtropolis.com, someone there was wondering the same thing, why the region is doubled. I cant find the topic now, but i believe you were also participating in the topic.

thnks again for the time you take for answering my questions.

ReydelLaCiudad

Hi, i was reading this foruming and i was wondering how do you take a census for the region?

RippleJet

Those numbers reported by the Census Repository Facility are those available as variables in the game.
Unfortunately, only a few of the regional census values are available that way.

If you want to get an accurate regional census, I'd recommend Daeley's BSC Regional Tracking Mod. :thumbsup:

SC4BOY

hmmm.. I don't draw much of a conclusion here. Is the objective for the poster to go get the regional census and report his data from that?

xxdita

Not sure I understand the question here either. From the Census Report, I'm seeing an abundance of jobs already. 362K available jobs? Doesn't seem like an unemployment issue, but the opposite problem, of a lack of workforce.
ZetZet, how is your Education in the city? Could be your Sims aren't trained well enough to need the CO$$$ jobs?

But the Census Repository gives me doubled regional figures as well. Not sure what the cause is.

ZetZet

thnks for the replies,

my first question were about my Co$$$ which wasnt developing, i was thinking it might me the regional unemployment. But it turned out that there is no regional unemployment, the census isnt displaying it right.

I now started a new region and my Co$$$ is developing very well (census counts Residental Capacity and Workforce values double for the regional values). So my first question is solved.

Now I am still  wondering what is the problem with the census, and is it just the census or is it the installation (i used a fresh instal for CAm)
In all my cities i got massive Co an Cs demand, but less Residental demand, can this demand be triggered by the census who displays the regional values(high unemployment) wrong?

RippleJet

Quote from: ZetZet on January 10, 2008, 07:27:28 AM
thnks for the replies,

my first question were about my Co$$$ which wasnt developing, i was thinking it might me the regional unemployment. But it turned out that there is no regional unemployment, the census isnt displaying it right.

I now started a new region and my Co$$$ is developing very well (census counts Residental Capacity and Workforce values double for the regional values). So my first question is solved.

Now I am still  wondering what is the problem with the census, and is it just the census or is it the installation (i used a fresh instal for CAm)
In all my cities i got massive Co an Cs demand, but less Residental demand, can this demand be triggered by the census who displays the regional values(high unemployment) wrong?

The Census Repository Facitlity only reports what it can read, it won't change any demand factors. $%Grinno$%
And it is only displaying the values of certain variables that are available in the game.
Thus, it isn't displaying them wrong, it is only displaying the values they have!

The values are those seen by the simulator in each city, and we all know that the regional values are approximate.
This is a due to the fact that only one city is loaded at a time, and the game cannot read the values from other cities.

Regarding regional unemployment, you might want to read this thread: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=3463.0.
You will notice that unemployed people in SimNation, outside of your cities, are good for industrial and commercial demand.

That still doesn't explain why your reported regional residential census was exactly double compared to that seen in your city though.
Is this still the case with your newly started region?

ZetZet

Quote from: RippleJet on January 10, 2008, 09:51:15 AM

That still doesn't explain why your reported regional residential census was exactly double compared to that seen in your city though.
Is this still the case with your newly started region?

I started 2 new regions and both show the double regional capicity and workforce values.

Im affraid its affecting my cities, cause in the more developed cities, the demand for commercial en industrial is enormous high. And Residental demand is most of the time negative. Sometimes the Residental demand is positive for 1 month, then the other month it is negative again, this results in alot of abonded buildings.

I already reinstalled Sim City once

xxdita

My problems aren't that extreme, as my demand stays pretty much the same. But I am getting the doubled regional capacity. The only way to know exactly what the problem is, is to play the game with only the Census Repository files in your Plugins folder. It could be that there is a conflicting plugin effecting the numbers. Remember to also remove all plugins from your Program Files/Maxis/SimCity4(Rush Hour or Deluxe)/Plugins folder as well.

I just tested using ONLY the Census Repository model & V2 lot, and everything worked exactly as it was supposed to. This means that the problem is with another plugin. I have a couple of suspects in mind, but I won't mention any names just yet.

I'll update after a couple more tests.

Edit: OK, found it with the first try, and a fix is in the works. For now, just try using Daeley's BSC Regional Tracking Mod, and if you have any problems with that, post them here.