• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Diagonal Jagged Edges Mod

Started by tooheys, December 17, 2007, 01:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooheys

Hi everyone.

For some reason the above mod has just stopped working and I'm back to those nasty looking diagonal walls.

The mod was still installed but I redownloaded to be sure to be sure. This didn't resolve the issue.

Has anyone come across this before or know of anything that may conflict with this mod?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Dave

Ennedi

Hello Dave,

You probably installed another mod which consists the Terrain Properties exemplar. Diagonal Jagged Edges Mod uses it too.
Add "zzz" before the DIagonal Jagged Edges Mod name, maybe it will help. If not, I will think more  ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

tooheys

Ennedi, thanks for the quick reply.

Is this what you meant by amending the file name - zzzMaxis_DiagonalFix. If so, I'm afraid it didn't work.

Appreciate you help however and if you can come up with anything else or show me what I am doing wrong it will be most appreciated.

Dave

tooheys

Good news, I have been looking for a conflicting mod. The problem was actually gizmo's WaterFlora. I have deleted and things are back to normal.
Pity, I could have put this to good use.

Thanks to Ennedi and all others that may have been looking into this.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Dave

Ennedi

Yes Dave, Gizmo Water Flora also has the Terrain Properties exemplar.

But you can still use it. You changed the Maxis Diagonal Fix file name exactly as I suggested, but you should put this file into the main Plugins folder, not in the subfolder somewhere in Plugins - I forgot to say it. This way the game will read this file after Gizmo Water Flora.

I want to specify all mods which use the Terrain properties exemplar and I have an idea how to avoid conflicts between them, but I need some time to do it  ;). In the meantime try what I said above  :thumbsup: But if my second suggestion will be wrong, inform me please, it is important for me.
New Horizons Productions
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

tooheys

Hi Ennedi

Have tried what you have said but no luck so far. Still seem to have a conflict.

Have the files saved as follows (names aren't exact):

Diagonal Edge Mod - plugins/zzzMaxis_DiagonalFix

Gizmo's Flora - plugins/misc/Gizmo/waterflora ver2

If you find a solution will be happy to hear of it, but don't waste too much time on my account.

Thanks for your help and advice  :)

Dave

jeronij

If you only want Gizmo's flora plops, you can remove the terrain properties file in his mod. It wont cause any problem, and in fact is not needed to use the flora. You'll have to open the mod and manually remove that file  ::) .
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

tooheys

jeronij, thanks but I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea how to do that  %confuso

I'm afraid when it comes to to that sort of stuff I'm an absolute clutz  $%Grinno$%

Although I'm not afraid to jump in the deep end, so if someone can provide a "walkthru" I'll give it a go.

Cheers

Dave (techno deficient  :D)

Ennedi

I will check everything and if it will be necessary, I will prepare Gizmo Flora for you, Dave (but I don't promise it will be today).

Don't worry about my time, it's one of themes I'm working now and it's only an additional exercise, thank you for giving me an occasion to test something I didn't know  ;) (I supposed placing more important mod at the end should solve the problem, if not, I want to know why)
New Horizons Productions

tooheys

Ennedi, thanks again and no expectations.

I was somewhat expecting to being unable to use Gizmo's plops, so if you get around to solving my problem,
it will be a nice bonus. Guess I'd owe you a drink or two next time I'm in you vicinity, although this might take a year or
5 ::) Still paying off the last trip.

Dave

jeronij

Quote from: Ennedi on December 18, 2007, 01:25:37 AM
I will check everything and if it will be necessary, I will prepare Gizmo Flora for you, Dave (but I don't promise it will be today).

Don't worry about my time, it's one of themes I'm working now and it's only an additional exercise, thank you for giving me an occasion to test something I didn't know  ;) (I supposed placing more important mod at the end should solve the problem, if not, I want to know why)
´

... if everything else fails, I have such a mod in my plugins folders... ::)  $%Grinno$%  :D  :D  :D

Seriously, thanks for giving a hand with that. ( and you can also remove the transparent water from this mod, and use your favourite water texture if you want  ;D )
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Ennedi

@Jeronij,

My plan is to collect all plugins which consist the Terrain Properties exemplar, compare properties values, decide what is crucial for which mod, and to make something like "Terrain adjustment mod"  :D, replacing some existing mods such as Limitless Beach etc. and including property values which enable using the Terrain Mod and other mods using this exemplar without conflicts and without a need to change properties in every installed mod. Such mod could have only one exemplar (Terrain Properties) and should be placed at the end of the Plugins folder. Of course I want to adjust water parameters too (transparency, max depth of sea bottom visible etc.)

Various people have various maps and they need various terrain parameters and other plugins connected with terrain (diagonal jagged edges, slope mod and some others). So I started to think about a "Landscaping studio"  :D to be able to adjust these parameters for request, according to specific maps and specific needs.

It needs some time, but I hope I will be able to do something like it  ;)
It's a reason such problems as Dave's are interesting for me.

You have much more knowledge than me in this field (and not only this one  :D), so it is possible I will ask for your advice in future.
New Horizons Productions

Andreas

@Ennedi: This sounds like a good idea! Maybe you should contact GoaSkin, he's currently creating "SC4Config", a program that allows you to change various game parameters with an easy configuration user interface. Adding the ability to fine-tune the terrain parameters would be nice.
Andreas

Ennedi

@Andreas: very good advice, thank you! I know a bit about GoaSkin program (he asked me for Polish translation and I have a problem with it  &mmm - I'm not a programmer and I'm not familiar with such software - but I want learn it  :))

But I must finish my researching work first, I can contact with anybody when my data will be prepared.
New Horizons Productions

jeronij

Andreas was reading my mind  :D ¡¡¡¡, this would be a task for Goaskin's SC4Config.

An alternative to your idea ( wich is going to be time consuming indeed  $%Grinno$% ) would be to modify that tool, allowing the use of "terrain templates" files. It would be great to simply load a determinated terrain configuration with a single click... just an alternative idea  ;D

Of course feel free to ask me whatever you may need. I will try to help if I can  :thumbsup:

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

soulstealer

I use gizmo's flora too and don't have a conflict. Try to take gizmo's files and put them in a folder named 00000 and take the jagged edge mod put it in folder zzzzz.

other modes that might interfer with the jagged edge mod are any terrain mods, water mods, snow mods, beach mods etc' you can place them too in folder 00000 just to be sure.

RebaLynnTS

After some testing, I have found that the game loads files in the main plugins folder before files in sub folders, so putting it in the main folder will not help. Make a sub folder starting with ZZZZZAnything, put the diagonal fix mod in it, then run the game.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

FrankU

Yes, that is exactly what I have done. Some time ago I had the same problem and it is solved now. I can use the waterflora mod and the Diagonal Jagged Edges mod.
Especially thanks to Chrisadams.
You can also look up my own thread:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2692.0
Chrisadams shows how to edit the exemplar file.