• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Crashes

Started by gabrielbyrnei, June 08, 2008, 06:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabrielbyrnei

Well, while playing simcity i get some random crashes now and then. Is there a solution

HandsOn

Quote from: gabrielbyrnei on June 08, 2008, 06:17:06 PM
Well, while playing simcity i get some random crashes now and then. Is there a solution

There's a thread about this here..

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

xxdita

The solution is as only as simple as the cause of the CTD. And it seems that there are quite a few reasons for the game to crash, depending on your computer's processor, RAM, operating system, and the volume of plugins you are trying to use, as well as which plugins, because, well, some of them are just prone to CTD.
What are you doing just as the game crashes? What are your system's specs? XP or Vista?

gabrielbyrnei

Phenom X4 9500
2 GB DDR2 800mhz
HD 2600xt

Windows xp :)

And im not using that much plugins, sometimes the game crushes when im using the education info of the city, the one with green when education is good , etc.

HandsOn

Quote from: gabrielbyrnei on June 13, 2008, 09:01:55 AM
Phenom X4 9500
2 GB DDR2 800mhz
HD 2600xt

Windows xp :)

And im not using that much plugins, sometimes the game crushes when im using the education info of the city, the one with green when education is good , etc.
Is the a quad-core machine? I presume you have a graphic card that matches that kind of performance. There is one possibility; I have left an instruction sheet here.. - in English (sorry my Spanish is mui terribile) - you can download it from my site. This worked for me, on a Vista PC with a Dual Core, and a young lady applied it successfully to a similar machine only yesterday.

If you have problems follwoing the instracutions you can PM me or email me directly..

gabrielbyrnei

ok thanks, ill give it a try, and no problem about it being in english

HandsOn

Quote from: gabrielbyrnei on June 17, 2008, 07:35:04 AM
ok thanks, ill give it a try, and no problem about it being in english
If you have problems, PM or email me - I tend to respond quicker that way..

j-dub

I notice as long as I don't move faster than the game its fine, but I noticed menu navigating too fast can cause a crash. I also noticed too many car crashes, causes it to crash, I even noticed the error of the touch sensitive mouse wheel and zoom level can cause crashing too. It had been discussed before that the sound and/or music can cause issues. Clicking on an icon menu when a custom tune ends, seems to cause a crash for me. Those times, I turn the music off. Because of the crashing, and time loss with reloading, I would recommend removing Intro.dat so you have one less thing to load. I have saved some of the reports from when it gives me a message saying SimCity 4.exe or something has stopped working and needs to close, but I never figured how to fix the issue from the information it gave me. However, would you rather the game freeze forever instead of the crash? I have had it freeze for a while instead, honestly whats worst? In my case, it may not just be the game, because internet explorer 7 will occasionally crash too, numerous times when I come here.

HandsOn

Quote from: j-dub on June 19, 2008, 07:05:42 PM
I notice as long as I don't move faster than the game its fine, but I noticed menu navigating too fast can cause a crash. I also noticed too many car crashes, causes it to crash, I even noticed the error of the touch sensitive mouse wheel and zoom level can cause crashing too. It had been discussed before that the sound and/or music can cause issues. Clicking on an icon menu when a custom tune ends, seems to cause a crash for me. Those times, I turn the music off. Because of the crashing, and time loss with reloading, I would recommend removing Intro.dat so you have one less thing to load. I have saved some of the reports from when it gives me a message saying SimCity 4.exe or something has stopped working and needs to close, but I never figured how to fix the issue from the information it gave me. However, would you rather the game freeze forever instead of the crash? I have had it freeze for a while instead, honestly whats worst? In my case, it may not just be the game, because internet explorer 7 will occasionally crash too, numerous times when I come here.
jdub: can you give me a detailed description of your hardwar & which OS you are running? CPU, memory, BIOS, graphics card, the works, please

j-dub

Ok, I have Vista with an AMD 64 X2 Dual Core processor 5000+, an NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE graphics card, 500 GB SATA II, and dual channel 2048 mb DDR2 memory. I haven't had any recent crashes here. If I'm not doing too much at once, it should be fine.

HandsOn

Quote from: j-dub on June 20, 2008, 04:32:06 PM
Ok, I have Vista with an AMD 64 X2 Dual Core processor 5000+, an NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE graphics card, 500 GB SATA II, and dual channel 2048 mb DDR2 memory. I haven't had any recent crashes here. If I'm not doing too much at once, it should be fine.
Our PC's are similar, except that I have a lowly Intel DC 6300 on the game PC. Something I intend to change shortly. Two things: there's a link here relating to drivers for the graphics card. If you google the full name of your card, you'll find other links as well. That's the first aspect you ought to look into because with your specs, you should be able to run SC4, surf the net, and photoshop freshly saved screenshots - all at the same time.

Secondly, do take a look at this guide I placed on my site; it worked thus far for myself and several other people who had dual cores. Yours appears to be a 64-bit? And which version of Windows are you running? Because that would certainly matter.

Finally, by preceding your SC4 short-cut with this: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c START "high priority sc4" /high - followed by the location of the game's exe (like "C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -Intro:off) you will fix the priority SC4 needs over other stuff running (and there always is something running. This combination made me entirely crash free. But PLEASE: take heed to read the instructions first, and do make a backup copy of SimCity 4.exe first!!

SC4BOY

Actually as I recall all my problems were solved by going to the AMD site and downloading the "multiprocessor optimazation" patch.. or some title very close to that.. no harm in doing both actually, but I no longer needed to worry about the "use single processor" issue.

j-dub

@HandsOn I actually copied that. It works, thanks.

HandsOn

Quote from: j-dub on June 21, 2008, 09:19:16 AM
@HandsOn I actually copied that. It works, thanks.
Eh, which part..?  ()what()