• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Installing CAM CO, CS, Res Packs...is this way right or....?????

Started by fjzavala, January 11, 2009, 11:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjzavala

I am also trying to CAMify my plugins...

So far I've only downloaded individual buildings that I found in power search CAM Offices, Commercial, and Residential because I'm sure those are CAMpatible.  My problem is with the packs.

I downloaded the CAM CO, CS, Res packs.

This is what I was planning to do for the CAM CO pack(zip) and all the other packs(zips):

1.  Open the readme for Install_CAM_CO$$$_11_BSC
2.  Click on the link for the building Keaton Plaza (takes me to STEX) and download it
3.  do the same for all the other buildings in the readme
4.  extract and install them in the plugins folder
5.  finally extract and install Install_CAM_CO$$$_11_BSC

my question is will this automatically make them CAM?  For example, if Keaton Plaza was originally made a stage 8 building before, will installing Install_CAM_CO$$$_11_BSC overwrite files automatically and give the building the new CAM stage?  Or do I have to delete files myself.

What I would like is a step by step way of going about this.  Cleanitol confuses me.  I've read about people using it.  Is it a file that is automatically run or is it something I click on to make it run? 

This is also something I've found confusing:

"Shoreman905 has compiled a huge list of all available CAMeLots, see the Table of Contents further down.
Each entry in the list contains links both to the CAMeLot and to the Model File (BAT) or Model Pack, if available in a separate download.
In order to avoid having brown boxes, you need the model that goes with the lot.

If the Model File is included in a previously uploaded lot (on STEX or a Japanese site), you only need the file that contains the batted model from that upload. Normally this is a SC4Model file, but in some cases it might be a DAT file. In no cases will you need any SC4Lot files, SC4Desc files or custom queries contained in the original upload, or any dependencies mentioned for that upload.

Each model/prop pack comes with a BSC Cleanitol™ file, which will help you remove old superfluous model files.
Please use that to ensure that you do not have duplicates of any models."

Please help because I need alot more buildings for my cities.  I had a city grow to over 1 million but I had like 40-50 Austin City skyscrapers in it.  My city needs more buildings...

RippleJet

Quote from: fjzavala on January 11, 2009, 11:09:13 AM
2.  Click on the link for the building Keaton Plaza (takes me to STEX) and download it

Let me expand this item somewhat...

2.1  Open the downladed zip file, which in this case is called DuskTroopers Keaton Plaza.zip

2.2  Note that there are four files included in that zip file:

• DT_Keaton Plaza Growable.dat
  • DT_Keaton Plaza Plopable.dat
  • DuskTrooper's Keaton Plaza.txt
  • KEATON PLAZA-0x5ad0e817_0x2d2d42d9_0x640000.SC4Model

2.3  Extract only KEATON PLAZA-0x5ad0e817_0x2d2d42d9_0x640000.SC4Model into your plugins folder.

my question is will this automatically make them CAM?  For example, if Keaton Plaza was originally made a stage 8 building before, will installing Install_CAM_CO$$$_11_BSC overwrite files automatically and give the building the new CAM stage?  Or do I have to delete files myself.

You will ONLY need the model file (the one having the extension .SC4Model), as I explained in 2.3 above.

• DT_Keaton Plaza Growable.dat contains the stage 8 growable lot, which you do not want.
  • DT_Keaton Plaza Plopable.dat contains the ploppable landmark lot, which won't grow at all.
  • DuskTrooper's Keaton Plaza.txt contains the original readme, which you won't need.

What I would like is a step by step way of going about this.  Cleanitol confuses me.  I've read about people using it.  Is it a file that is automatically run or is it something I click on to make it run?

You need to run the Cleanitol program and open the TXT file from within it.
The TXT file contains a list of filenames, representing:

• either files that need to be removed, as they are replaced with the file you've downloaded,
  • or dependencies. If you do not have that dependency file, Cleanitol will point you to where it can be downloaded.

For more information about how to use Cleanitol, read this:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=3795.0

This is also something I've found confusing:

"Shoreman905 has compiled a huge list of all available CAMeLots, see the Table of Contents further down.
Each entry in the list contains links both to the CAMeLot and to the Model File (BAT) or Model Pack, if available in a separate download.
In order to avoid having brown boxes, you need the model that goes with the lot.

If the Model File is included in a previously uploaded lot (on STEX or a Japanese site), you only need the file that contains the batted model from that upload. Normally this is a SC4Model file, but in some cases it might be a DAT file. In no cases will you need any SC4Lot files, SC4Desc files or custom queries contained in the original upload, or any dependencies mentioned for that upload.

The model is just a 3D object, which as such will not function in the game.
A building exemplar (usually a SC4Desc file) contains the properties for the building, so that the game knows what it is.
A lotconfig exemplar (usually a SC4Lot file) is an assembly of everything that's on the lot, e.g. the building, textures and props.

Since we in several cases have used the models that other people have made, we need to point to that model as a dependency.
The building and lot are always included in the CAMeLot you've downloaded from LEX.
If you only download the building and lot, but forgot to download the model, you would get a brown box in the game instead.

Each model/prop pack comes with a BSC Cleanitol™ file, which will help you remove old superfluous model files.
Please use that to ensure that you do not have duplicates of any models."

Some model creators gave us permission to upload their models in "mega packs" on the LEX.
Those mega packs only contain models, no outdated building exemplars or lot exemplars.

When downloading such a mega pack, there is always a chance that you already have the original model file from STEX.
It is for such occasions that there is a Cleanitol file included, listing the filenames for all such original models that are now obsolete.

fjzavala

Thanks Ripplejet for the quick response.

So I downloaded the buildings from the STEX. 

Ok... keaton plaza, golden bank, azuriko plaza, jetersen and focsman tower each have model files.  So I delete everthing except the model files right?  Then install Install_CAM_CO$$$_11_BSC and all those buildings should be up to date right?

But what about NDex Telecommunications HQ zip (it is the Shiner Tower in the readme -don't know why the names are different).  Anyways, that zip doesn't have a model file?  It does have the 3 dat files for the 3 different versions.  I keep those and delete everything else correct?

One other thing is that I am starting fresh.  I reinstalled sim city, the first patch, and the night light patch thing. 

And reinstalled the other main files like BSC essentials, NAM, CAM, CAMpatible buildings I found in power search and the texture and prop dependencies, etc.

So, I don't have the old version of any building.  So, am I right to think that I don't really have to worry about cleanitol since I won't have old version files to delete. 

Thanks

RippleJet

Quote from: fjzavala on January 11, 2009, 12:44:51 PM
Ok... keaton plaza, golden bank, azuriko plaza, jetersen and focsman tower each have model files.  So I delete everthing except the model files right?  Then install Install_CAM_CO$$$_11_BSC and all those buildings should be up to date right?

:thumbsup:

But what about NDex Telecommunications HQ zip (it is the Shiner Tower in the readme -don't know why the names are different).  Anyways, that zip doesn't have a model file?  It does have the 3 dat files for the 3 different versions.  I keep those and delete everything else correct?

Seems like only the Shiner Tower was camified out of those... &mmm
Thus, you would only need Superstar's Shiner Tower.dat.
Save the other two in a safe place, just in case you'd get a brown box called Narumo or Westpoint. ;)

One other thing is that I am starting fresh.  I reinstalled sim city, the first patch, and the night light patch thing. 

And reinstalled the other main files like BSC essentials, NAM, CAM, CAMpatible buildings I found in power search and the texture and prop dependencies, etc.

So, I don't have the old version of any building.  So, am I right to think that I don't really have to worry about cleanitol since I won't have old version files to delete. 

You'll probably manage pretty well, at least for now. ;)
But you would probably find it to be a useful tool in the future,
e.g. whenever a new megapack is released, replacing older, smaller packs.