• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

What is SC4's most essential custom content plugin?

Started by Ramona Brie, July 05, 2009, 05:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is SC4's most essential custom content plugin or application?

Network Addon Mod
71 (77.2%)
Colossus Addon Mod
5 (5.4%)
Rural Highway Mod
4 (4.3%)
Street Addon Mod
0 (0%)
High Speed Rail Project
1 (1.1%)
SC4DatPacker
6 (6.5%)
SC4Mapper and Terraformer
1 (1.1%)
BSC Cleanitol
0 (0%)
X Tool
2 (2.2%)
Euro Road Textures Mod
2 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 92

jmyers2043

That's a tough one. The CAM, XTool, and Datpacker are all top of my list. Don't get me wrong. I see that a lot of folk are listing the NAM as their top choice. And I have the NAM too.

The CAM made the game what it should have been from day one. Adding those extra growth stages is simply brillant! I Xtool'ed all the lots in my plugins two years ago (as I was a beta tester) and that balanced the game further.

This is an interesting poll. They are all important and essential IMOP...

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

gottago

Good question--for me it was either NAM or Datpacker, both brilliant and essential. I finally went with Datpacker, as it is a near miracle in giving you back stable, no-lag gameplay with a groaning plugins folder--and allows you to finally enjoy playing and getting to use the NAM again.

xxdita

What surprises me is that no one has put together an Essential Plugins & Tools page, in even the New Members area around here. So often I find that in order to be able to help someone, I have to point them to the plugins required to gather the information I need, such as the Census Repository. And these files are the first ones I have to download after every computer upgrade or crash. A person's choice in lots and mods is determined by their playing style, so I would say that there are probably only a handful of absolutely essential lots, which provide information that can be quite useful in every city.

Personally, I voted for CAM, because it is without a doubt the biggest reason I've continued playing the game. And the biggest reason I ever actually became involved in the community. NAM is extremely important as well, but after installing the latest version so many times, I take it for granted. With each new install of the game, I get the Maxis updates, and the latest NAM, which is often more important of a 'patch' for SC4 Rush Hour/Deluxe as adding nightlights.
All of Wouanagaine's programs are invaluable for gameplay, but I don't consider them plugins.
But in my mind at least, CAM serves as the Expansion Pack that Maxis forgot they could make. (Just think of all the money they coulda made with it.)

Diggis

Quote from: z on July 19, 2009, 02:14:50 AM
You most certainly did!  Even though I think the NAM is unquestionably the most essential custom content plugin, I think that RTMT ranks high on that list.

Of course, some people may think that I am biased.   ::)

I think you might be Steve...  :P  While good, I wouldn't rank it with those listed above... (I would also consider SAM and RHW part of the NAM personally).... and NAM or CAM get my vote, probably NAM, because it adds so much more to the game.  CAM expands on it, but NAM adds to it.

joelyboy911

OK, here's the thing.

You can't have a single most important plug-in to this game.

NAM would not be the same without RHW or the HSRP. And neither of those would be possible without the NAM.

SAM wouldn't mean anything to me going through streets lined with ugly maxis buildings, and I couldn't ever have been as happy with my hand-terraforming, as I am with SC4mapper maps (thanks Blade2k5).

So, I don't think there is a single most important plugin, you need ALL of them. I'm sure many other people will realise this also. 
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

BarbarossaS

Definitely the NAM, can't even remember how the game looks like without it!

-Stijn-