• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The state and City of Habsburg

Started by Flatron, May 19, 2013, 02:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flatron

This is a new CJ by me, this time austria themed. As the title says, this will be about a little city-state called Habsburg. Habsburg is somewhere in the world, on a completely fictional map(-> no recreation of realistic circumstances and therefore more details and maybe some utopia ;D). Today, I want to present you the small town of Maierhofen, on which we will focus for the next updates.

1.1 An overview of Maierhofen, you can see the town on the shore of the reservoir of a little power station and the two rivers Flanitz(from the left) and Oberach(from the top)

1.2 The town itself lays on an island between the reservoir, the rivers and a little canal/stream that connects the rivers. In the lower left corner you can see the sanctuary church of Saint Michael and in the centre of town, there is the catholic parrochial church that's dedicated to Mary's ascension ("Mariae Himmelfahrt"). Habsburg is a very catholic country, with many people still attending sunday masses, but has egalized marriage and the roman catholic church in Habsburg has abolished the celibacy, introduced female priests and marries same-sex couples.

89James89

loving the lush hills around the small town. Some very nice foliage and landscaping you have there.

Looking forward to seeing more.

James

RickD

Great small town. Looks very realistic and european.  :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

vortext

Very nice start, looking forward to more!  :thumbsup:

Also looking forward to your BATs someday  ;)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Swordmaster

Beautiful landscape! Too bad for Söderland, I was a fan. But it looks this one may be just as good ;)

Cheers
Willy

sim_link

Gorgeous landscape, the town is perched very nicely in that landscape. ;D

Flatron

2. The City of Habsburg

2.1 The old town is situated at the confluence of two rivers. In left part of the picture, you can see church of St. Nicholas, a beautiful building dating from the renaissance. In the upper third of the picture, the trunk of Habsburgs S-Bahn system(because of the small size of the country, this is also the national rail...)bridges over the river, giving the passengers a view of....

2.2 The Habsburg Waterfalls or Habsburger Fall as they are called in german. At the foot of the waterfall, there are some hotels and expensive apartments from the Gründerzeit, a period at the end of the nineteenth, beginning of the twentieth century in central europe, especially in the german speaking countries, but also in czechia, poland, hungaria...

2.3 when the S-Bahn approaches Habsburg from the direction of Mayerhofen, there is a great serpentine, built to let trains climb up the hill towards the city. The tower is a reminiscent of Habsburgs fortification system that was built in the middle ages. Nowadays, there's a museum and a bar called "THE WATCH-TOWER". The fortifications were never really used as Habsburg was not important enough to start a fight with them...

Answer: I read all your posts and am very pleased about them. I decided to give a collective answer, because what I can say is: "thank you very much!". Maybe I will return to Söderland one day, but at the moment, that's not on my list, as the summer will hopefully come :D. As I have now passed the three written parts of the Abitur, I'll have some time for Habsburg, though. I fear that in autumn when I hope to be granted a place at a medical school, I'll be much less active anyway...

nbvc

vortext

Nice pictures, very pleasant city! The rails looping through development and up the slope is great!  &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Flatron

3.Habsburgs Suburbs

3.1 On the slopes of the mountains, single family houses on loopy streets are the rule, as bigger buildings might look a bit out of place.

3.2 a suburb in the vicinity of the 19th century city.

3.3 in a small side valley, a new City was built, housing 30000 of the 90000 inhabitants of Habsburg-Stadt. As the city ran out of buildable land, a masterplan was set up for "Seeberg", which is the name of that place. Seeberg,often called "St.Reissbrett am See"(Saint drafting table on the lake) by the citizens, as it didn't grow naturally, but was planned,is connected to the City centre via U-Bahn(subway) and a pass road. Some Commercial firms have built skyscrapers up there and the new town is slowly becoming an urban place. instant urbanity ftw! ;D

I hope y'all liked it and will comment! :)

Kergelen

Nice start! I like the location of the town where the two rivers converge.

Links to SC4 websites

Swordmaster

Lovely landscape and like Vortext I enjoyed the single track line winding uphill. I wouldn't mind to see more of that ;)

Cheers
Willy

art128

Woopsie, seems like I forgot to come and leave a comment, despite having seen the two first updates....

Nice start. The first city you have shown is nice. I like how it just fit the area so greatly.

On the second update I really do love the STR line going up the hill sliding along the houses like that, reminds me of the Oslo subway I took to go up to Holmenkollen. 

For the last update, I agree about a big building looking out of place on the mountain side. However, maybe some three-five story apartment buildings can look nice ( high wealth place, not ghetto) on the top of the urbanization, giving a nice view on the whole city. I like how Seeberg looks.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Flatron

Thank you guys. :) I'd like to build something, but at the moment it's just too hot here in southeastern germany... The water at our solar-heated local public pool reached 30°C today, a temperature that was unthinkable back in the old days of oil-heating :) Second thing is, I'll have to sell graduation magazines as the abitur is finally lying behind us.

Dantes

I like the last picture. Great work again!