• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Is it possible to make an "eccentric" gradient?

Started by cogeo, April 20, 2010, 11:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cogeo

Does anybody know how to do this in Paint-shop Pro (preferably) or Photoshop?

I wish to fill an image (or selection) with a "Rectangular" or "Sunburst" -style Foreground-Background gradient, but I want the max (100%) foreground point (hotspot) being off-centre, and of course have it dropping off to 100% background at the image or selection border. In Paintshop Pro 7 it is possible to shift the hotsopt of the gradient, but it drops to 100% background (correctly) only at the longest hotspot-border distance side; at the other side it is just cut-off abruptly (at a less than 100% background colour). That is the shape of the gradient remains symmetrical (this is not "eccentric" - or "excentric" if you prefer), so it is cut-off.

Any ideas please?

mightygoose

a brute force way of doing it would be a pplying a liquify modifier in photoshop and pushing the centre off centre, but then that is not mathematically perfect by a long shot. perhaps you could use some of the lighting tools and yuse a fake spotlight to generate a raw image you could convert to your gradient map?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

callagrafx

Like this?

To be honest, there isn't a way in Photoshop to do it.... I did this in Illustrator, creating a blend between two objects (one black, one white).  :thumbsup:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

cogeo

OK, thanks for the replies guys!

Thought it out a little more, and found a (quite) simple, though not one-step way. Say you want to have the hotspot at 3/4 of  the image's width (from the left side):
- Select the leftmost 3/4ths of the image (the left/larger part). Go to the gradient parameters and move the hotspot all the way to the right. Then fill the selection with the gradient.
- Invert selection (will select the rest 1/4). Go to the gradient parameters and move the hotspot all the way to the left this time. Fill the (new) selection with the (changed) gradient.
Really simple, but sometimes I'm stuck!

If you want the hotspot off-centre for both axes, the procedure can be modified accordingly (divide it in four parts instead of two, move the hotspot to the corners instead of the middle of the sides).

Thanks again anyways.

Diggis

Another option is to do it to the maximum axis you want and central to where you want the hotspot (I use guides to do this) and then use free transform to reduce the sides of the resulting gradient.

You'll likely have to extend the canvas size of your image to achieve this.