• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Re: Santa Barbara County - Update: The End.

Started by RickD, March 12, 2010, 07:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

io_bg

First of all, congrats on the anniversary &apls Second, I also prefer option 2 even if it's more expensive to build.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Terring7

RickD, hope that you don't mind the late wishes ;D . Happy birthday Santa Barbara and keep going &dance
As about the options, I'll prefer the second one. It covers more needs and will reduce even more the need of cars.
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

kwakelaar

Proposal 2 seems like the more elegant solution, but however this goes I look forward to see you start your construction work.

canyonjumper

I think Proposal 2 is the better option ;D Looking forward to seeing either option implemented ;D

Your friend,
                                 Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Battlecat

Congratulations on 1 year of Santa Barbara County!  Your work has continued to be fantastic all this time. 

Proposal #2 will provide better service to a growing city like yours.  Proposal 1 should only be your plan if you are looking at major budget constraints. 

Kevin1a

I'm very much for higher taxes and more infrastructure investment, but also think it's incredibly important for all the lines to come together at some kind of central station.  Hospital and the proposed green/blue transfer station in option 2 are only a few blocks apart.  Unfortunately, you're downtown looks very built up already, so you can't really connect the stations with a row of underground plazas making a walkway or something.  3 blocks is a little far anyway.  That's why I'm forced to go against the opinions of my peers and advise for option 1.  You're system seems like more of a regional transit system bringing people from the suburbs to the CBD than an urban circulator designed to provide maximum coverage within the city core.  Of course if you're planning other routes that don't go through hospital, then you might as well just do whatever.

Exla357

Oh, one other thing: I noticed that the current train skin that you use is the Amtrak California train. Throughout the MD you have referred to it as the Surfliner, this is incorrect ::). BigRedFish released this pack of both the Surfliner and Amtrak California, you installed Amtrak California. I was wondering if you knew that...

RickD

It took me a while to get this update done. Real Life, lack of motivation, beautiful spring weather, you name it ...  ::)

In the last update I put two proposals for metro rail expansion up for discussion. Most of you, inlcuding me, preferred proposal 2. However, after closer investigation, I came to the conclusion that there is one big flaw with it. It just makes no sense, having red and green line run parallel only one city block apart near the harbor.

So I went back to the drawing board and came up with this:

Improved coverage and two additional transfers between Red and Green Line.  :thumbsup:

The overpass has been removed. And removing the surface tracks made room for adding more lanes to the avenues.

Blue Line tunnel entrance near the depot.

Entrance to Market Square Metro Station (Red Line).

Entrance to Hospital underground station (transfer between Red and Blue Line).

Green Line's southern terminus and transfer to Red Line.

A Green Line Station on W 7th Avenue.

Red Line enters tunnel, Green Line passing over it.

Green Line resurfaces next to the convention center.

Soon it goes underground again. But only for a short stretch to pass under the busy avenue and the canal.

Green Line train passing through the suburbs.

Green Line ends in the eastern suburbs.

Replies:

ricardomiranda, Dantes, Tomas Neto, sumwonyuno, Schulmanator, io_bg, Terring7, kwakelaar, canyonjumper, Battlecat, scott1964:
Thank you all for the birthday wishes and for sharing your thoughts on the Metro expansion plans.  :thumbsup:

GreekMan:
QuoteI love the trams in the market place!
Thanks. But now they are gone.  &mmm

noahclem:
QuoteI'm going to agree with GreekMan and suggest proposal 2. It's a shame the trams have to go though.
Yes it is. :( But I wanted to use the NWM and Tuleps so I had to remove the GLR.
QuoteIn any case, why not start the tunnel for the blue line entering the CBD after it passes over the freeway? It seems cheaper, especially since a perfectly good overpass is already in place and the grade would have to be pretty steep for it to go under the already sunken freeway.
I agree with you from a realism point of view. But I did not like the overpass since the GLR onslope pieces are one tile longer than the road pieces. And I have something planned there that would not work with the overpass. ;)

Simcitler:
QuoteAt the end of the line in the harbour district, I would recommend an shared station with the red line, where travellers of the southwestern area can change to green line serving the train station and the sports complex!
Excellent idea. You made me rethink the whole alignment. ;)

Skimbo:
QuoteProposal 2 is the better investment for the future. It should be extended with massive P+R in the line's outer CBD areas.
I will certainly do this. Some stations are already featuring P+R facilities.

kodlovag:
QuoteI would select Proposal 2. It's gives better coverage, and who cares about money?  Ask for support from the National or Regional Development Fund
Hehe, great idea.  :D

Kevin1a:
QuoteThat's why I'm forced to go against the opinions of my peers and advise for option 1.  You're system seems like more of a regional transit system bringing people from the suburbs to the CBD than an urban circulator designed to provide maximum coverage within the city core.
Very interesting thought, i had not seen it this way before. I guess you are right. The CBD is very small and compact. I imagine some people would think that in the time it takes to get in and out of the stations and wait for the train they could also walk to their destination. Probably busses are the more attractice way to get around in the CBD. Nut the Metro is important to connect the suburbs.

Exla357:
QuoteOh, one other thing: I noticed that the current train skin that you use is the Amtrak California train. Throughout the MD you have referred to it as the Surfliner, this is incorrect Roll Eyes. BigRedFish released this pack of both the Surfliner and Amtrak California, you installed Amtrak California. I was wondering if you knew that...
Actually Robin made me aware of this a few updates back. But I kinda forgot about it.  &ops I definitely need to correct this. Thanks for reminding me.  :thumbsup:

Bonus Pic:

Someone took a wrong turn there.  %wrd

Happy Easter everyone. :)

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Reikhardt

Great attention to detail, I love this update  &apls
I've nevr made a city with tram lines, but you make me eager to try!

ScottFTL

I don't comment often enough, but I love your MD.  Keep up the great work!  :thumbsup:

kodlovag

Quotekodlovag:
QuoteI would select Proposal 2. It's gives better coverage, and who cares about money?  Ask for support from the National or Regional Development Fund
Hehe, great idea.  :D

I see you received some support.  ;)
And I must tell you spent it very well.
Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

ricardomiranda

Really fantastic work, your city is administered with a sensational level of realism. Congratulations and keep going!

Tomas Neto

Wow..., another fantastic update!!! Your city is amazing, and I liked a lot of your plazas!!!

kwakelaar

I have enjoyed looking at how you have worked out the new layout of the tram/metro network.
One thing I found a bit odd was bringing the green line to the surface by the convention centre in a loop only to let it go underground again shortly after?

supremec

It's a fantastic city, I love it. Very good pictures  &apls  &apls
Click on the banner to see my BATs

Exla357

First off, I have to say that I have logged onto SC4D every day and scrolled through the Best Seller section, waiting for the next update! You wouldn't believe how happy I was to see something besides "Light Rail Expansion, First Anniversary!"  That last picture reminds me of my home town of Fort Collins, CO. We have a stretch of road that is shared by freight trains going through the CBD, it's cool but the horns are so loud! Oh, and I would love to know where you got that spiral subway portal, please. Great update, loooking forward to more as always!  :thumbsup:

Sciurus

A wonderful city and a very well organized subway network &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

noahclem

Great update!  &apls  I still miss the trams but the NWM & TuLEP use looks great.  I also enjoy the people stumbling around the middle of the street in front of the liquor store  :D

Really great quality work.

Kevin1a

Fantastic.  You are a model of mass transit design.  If anyone ever asks me about putting together a good transit system, I'm pointing them to your MD among a few others.  Station spacings are reasonable.  Cost prohibitive constructions like tunnels are limited to areas where they can be justified, like the CBD (i.e. no subways in the suburbs).  Also, after looking at it for a while, the current configuration minimizes the need for a central transfer, which was my major concern.  I'm interested to see how the increased speed, mobility, and permanent infrastructure investment will impact new high density development and redevelopment in the urban core.

@noahclem: Thanks for pointing out that easter egg by the liquor store.  I overlooked that the first time through because I was being a transit nerd.