• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Windows 7 Professional

Started by BruceAtkinson, April 14, 2010, 06:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceAtkinson

Hi everyone....it is Bruce:
   First, thanks to all for their insight and excellent suggestions...and thank-you teddyrise for the tip on the affinity, as that is what I'm doing now, and it does help a great deal.  Also, I'm no longer using any compatibility mode, just the tweak in the affinity.....thanks again everyone!
  P.S.:  If interested check out my next issue with Zero Population in one city....under the heading 'Zero Population'!
Bruce

z

The affinity setting works only for the current process, though.  You have to set it each time you run the game.  Instead, a number of people have reported that adding "-CPUCount:1" or "-CPUCount:2" to their shortcut command eliminates crashing.  I have the latter option in my command line, and I experience no random crashes.

teddyrised

Quote from: z on June 13, 2010, 01:57:22 PM
The affinity setting works only for the current process, though.  You have to set it each time you run the game.  Instead, a number of people have reported that adding "-CPUCount:1" or "-CPUCount:2" to their shortcut command eliminates crashing.  I have the latter option in my command line, and I experience no random crashes.

Wow thanks for the heads up, I didn't know the affinity setting is a one-time thing only :( I thought it'd be remembered by the system. Perhaps it was because I was more careful about saving and stuff that's why I had less crashes now. Thanks again!

Kitsune

Quote from: teddyrised on June 13, 2010, 09:07:30 AM
Hi Bruce, I'm currently running SC4RH on Windows 7 Professional and has been experiencing crash-to-desktop (CTD) instances from time to time.

I found that this helped to reduce the number of CTDs - but doesn't prevent CTD completely. I would say it helps quite a bit, but it isn't an all-encompassing panacea (there must be some other factor causing seemingly random CTDs). Anyway, here is what worked for me:

• Run SC4/SC4RH
  • Return to desktop (press Windows + D)
  • Start the task manager (press Control + Alt + Del)
  • Go to the Processes tab, and list all of them alphabetically by clicking the 'Image Name' table title
  • Look for the simcity4.exe that is running, and right click on it.
  • In the drop down list, select 'Set Affinity...'. By default, all CPUs are checked. Uncheck all but one. Select OK.
  • And then you're good to go. If you're worried, just relaunch the game after making the change.

Hope it helps!

see, I've been wondering if SC4 has problems with quad cores... or even quad's that are hyper threaded like mine. I set affinity with with the physical core, and the virtual core it runs as well as sc4 was supposedly optimized for a p4 w/ ht. It will be interesting to see how bad it gets when I upgrade to a hyper-threaded hexacore later this year. I have a i7-920 oc'ed to 4.1 ghz.
~ NAM Team Member

OhioHawk

Though this topic is a bit old, I found a solution I use all the time.  first you have to create a .bat file, and put in it the following: (depending on what version of SC4 you use)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" \ -intro:off -CPUcount:1

not only will it turn the intro off,  but knock it to a  CPU

dragonshardz

Quote from: OhioHawk on February 09, 2013, 04:31:12 PM
Though this topic is a bit old, I found a solution I use all the time.  first you have to create a .bat file, and put in it the following: (depending on what version of SC4 you use)

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" \ -intro:off -CPUcount:1

not only will it turn the intro off,  but knock it to a  CPU

This is actually completely unnecessary - you can add the -intro:off and -CPUCount:x arguments to any SC4 shortcut. You can even set these as launch parameters in Steam, if you use the Steam version.

dobdriver

And to add,

Unfortunately your batch file has a bug and causes sound issues.

To wit, the music sounds like a record with a jumping needle. To check, I re-started with my normal shortcut and rendered for about half an hour. Not a jumpy record to be heard. Started again withe batch, no good.

Cheers
dobs