• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan B.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on August 25, 2008, 04:51:41 PM
Well that's really got the thread abuzz.

Nice selection of signs, buy may I suggest an addition to the list [link]?

Those are some pretty paths too... Excellent use of them. I need to go mess around with them myself.
Some nice shots of Joan's quad, but are the trees supposed to be all in lines?

That sign was on my original list.  If it's not in the first pack, look for it in the future.

ben_meissner

The signs look great, but I do have a question. Is there a way to get them to face the right way, or is it just try until you get it right?

Ben

EDITBen, the law of averages says you should be able to place a ploppable roadsign in somewhere between two and three tries.  Usually when I'm trying to work fast it takes six or seven, but I'm amazed at the number of times they just show up perfect on the first try.  It does take a bit of patience, especially if you are trying to put two ploppable items on one gridsquare (like a sign and a telephone pole- tip, do the pole first).  Work with open ground if you can, so you don't have to bulldoze other stuff (God or mayor mode trees, for example).  Good luck! -DE

girlfromverona

Ploppable signs!!! What an awesome thing to come home to after a weekend away. Can't wait to try them out.  ;D

metarvo

I just thought that I would make a quick (4-way :D) stop in 3RR since the forum has been newly refined.  3RR still continues to amaze me.  Anyway, I am still following the road sign project with much interest.  I am also pleased that those who pass through 3RR on those roads that run in non-cardinal directions will receive the same signage that north-, east-, south-, or west-bound travelers do.  It's only fair.  Isn't that right, David?

Quote from: dedgren on August 25, 2008, 08:21:11 AM

Once, I saw an intersection in RL.  It was a four way intersection, and each approach to the intersection had a four-way STOP sign with a red flasher, much like the one in your picture.  One of the highways was a four lane U.S. highway, known as a RHW-4, but it was subjected to the same regulation as the intersecting state road/RHW-2.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Pat

David thank you for plopperizing J-dub's traffic signs and I cant wait to try them out in game... Im still having a bit of trouble in trying to plop your stop signs and also the curve ahead signs... I just cant seem to get the right direction.... all in all man you are doing some wonderful stuff!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on August 25, 2008, 05:32:17 PM
i thought there was another solution where you deleted the texture exemplar from the lot in Ilive reader, and i think that removes the bug completely...

EDIT:
here it is: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=23.0

- Allan Kuan

EDIT2Trust me, Allan- If that technique worked with an overlay texture like Chris's paths, you'd have heard it here a long time ago (that's the voice of trial and error sad experience talking).  No matter what you do, if there's an overlay texture and no base texture, you will get the water bug.  Oh, and big grats on making it into the "Double-0" Club. -DE

Hm. I think it's possible to have transparency on the base texture. Actually... maybe that can be given a try.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

girlfromverona

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of the lights and signs that automatically pop up on intersections, as shown in these pics?

Chrisadams3997

QuoteBen, the law of averages says you should be able to place a ploppable roadsign in somewhere between two and three tries.  Usually when I'm trying to work fast it takes six or seven, but I'm amazed at the number of times they just show up perfect on the first try.  It does take a bit of patience, especially if you are trying to put two ploppable items on one gridsquare (like a sign and a telephone pole- tip, do the pole first).  Work with open ground if you can, so you don't have to bulldoze other stuff (God or mayor mode trees, for example).  Good luck! -DE

It takes a little bit more time to set up each ploppable, but you can set up the signs like I did my hay bales.  Essentially you have a multi-model flora exemplar (cluster) where each plop in the cluster is the same model.  Therefore, you can get as many tries (up to 8, the most you can have in a cluster) as you have exemplars in the cluster group to get it in the right orientation, instead of having to bulldoze and try again after each plop.  You can just click again and get a new orientation.

The same treatment could be given to telephone poles if used as ploppables as well.

QuoteIdeally, someone *cough* should make a SAM-compatible draggable street out of Chris' textures

I hope he doesn't mean me :D $%Grinno$%.  Personally, I'm perfectly willing to blame Maxis ;D.

Chris

MandelSoft

Cool, Now I know how to solve the bug! Thanks, David!  :thumbsup:
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Andreas

@Chris: Well, actually, I meant certain NAM Team members. But blaming it to EA would be perfectly valid (Maxis - RIP - is not guilty, though).

Quote from: nerdly_dood on August 25, 2008, 05:17:26 PM
Oooh i never saw THAT water bug... until today I had some SFBT diagonal fillers that had a blank base texture, and i rotated the view and I saw that blue background grid... and then I bulldozed them and re-plopped them to fix it... I didn't know it was as easy as zone data-view then all off.

Apparently, you didn't read the readme properly - the zone view trick is explained there as well. ;)
Andreas

z

Quote from: Andreas on August 25, 2008, 03:13:04 PM
Fortunately, the game doesn't need five minutes or so to reload the buildings after switching to the zone view when you created such a beautiful landscape - doing that in a densly packed city surely requires some patience. ;)

I used to have the same problem with the zone view in huge cities, but it completely disappeared when I started DatPacking everything.  Do you use DatPacker?

Andreas

Well, of course I have it installed, and I also gave it a test run (which worked fine so far), but unfortunately, my plugins folder is a bit of a mess right now (too many beta files and stuff in it), so I'll have to do a cleanup first. ;)
Andreas

Albus of Garaway

Hello David (and other various 3RR 'Groupies')! ::)

After having lurked here for months, I've finally decided that I should really join in on this amazing project and post some input! The work you have done so far is literally game-changing, and you should feel very proud. Few projects have the ability to completely shape the way we play the game. Thanks for that!

I'm still marveling at your road signs. I went into my game to do some testing, but, of course, I couldn't find a single spot in the city I'm currently working on (Verona Beach, in the metropolitan area of Manteca, soon to become an MD!) to plop your beautiful signs. I did have one very sharp curve, but the area around it will soon be built up with some immensely expensive boutiques and mansions, so that wasn't going to work... ()sad() :D

I promise I'll find somewhere to play with your gorgeous new ploppables...!

Chrisadams3997

QuoteBut blaming it to EA would be perfectly valid (Maxis - RIP - is not guilty, though).

Ah, very well true.  That's what I believe I meant to say. :)

dedgren

Uhhm, Marisa- is this what you had in mind?

Before

After

Our friend and 3RR Collaborator Marisa (girlfromverona) had asked about getting rid of the game signage a few comments ago.  With the SAM roads and streets, it's easy- just use the Ilive Reader to remove the reference to the particular prop from the T21 .dat file in the SAM "Textures" subfolder of the NAM files in your plugins.  If that sounds like gibberish, you can also simply remove the T21 .dat file for the particular road or street variant involved altogether.  That's what I've done- it gets rid of all those out of place light poles and the rest of the game (read "crummy-looking") street junk in your nice rural areas.  I will put writing a short tutorial on editing the SAM T21 files in the Reader on my to-do list, but if someone wanted to take that on and beat me to it, you would be welcome to post it here or in the SC4D MODding Tutorial forum section [linkie].

EDIT1:  Works for SAM-game road intersections, too.

Chris (Chrisadams3997), you are the deity of answers.  I am reMODding the stop sign right now to check your suggestion out, but I already know it will work- you've already made it happen!  Thanks!

EDIT2:  The reMODded stop sign works great.  It's attached to the bottom of this post.  I'm adding these settings to the Plopperizer™, and future signs and the telephone pole set will incorporate this big improvement.  Thanks again, Chris.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Ryan B.

Wow - talk about progress!

threestooges

Great thought with the prop sequencing for the signs Chris. That should save countless gallons of gas in the old bulldozer.

dedgren

I was doing some thinking about the diagonal road signs.

As you know, if you've been following the recent discussion here, the trick to making these props ploppable in the appropriate roadside location is to incorporate an offset when they are BATted.  With the plop signs along ortho roads, this is pretty routine- the same small offset allows the plop point to be on a gridsquare adjacent to the square the road is on, so there is no restriction.

With diagonal roads, that's not the case.  Here's a diagonal intersection, with the gridsquares where plops can be made highlighted in light green.

This means that, in order to properly position stop or yield signs, or flasher standards, the offset needs to be almost a full gridsquare wide.

The sign faces are in dark blue, the "X" shows the point of the plop, and the dashed arrow line shows the direction and length of the offset.

...BATters, to your marks!...

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Ryan B.

David, that's a great visual reference.  Could we get something like that for the FAR layouts as well?  Thanks!

EDITDavid, the RGB color code I gave you in an earlier PM was incorrect.  Here's the one I was thinking of:  243, 179, 49. - Ryan

girlfromverona

Quote from: dedgren on August 26, 2008, 10:20:32 AM
is this what you had in mind?

Exactly!

Quote from: dedgren on August 26, 2008, 10:20:32 AM
I will put writing a short tutorial on editing the SAM T21 files in the Reader on my to-do list

I'll look forward to it! I have Ilive Reader installed, but haven't yet come to grips with using it.  :D