• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

buzzits power project

Started by Buzzit, August 10, 2010, 02:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tag_one

Quote from: Buzzit on October 30, 2010, 04:21:32 PM
the only thing that really confused me are those desc files i looked at the building exemplar but i dont know how to make a desc file from it

can someone please assist me with this one? after that i will look at the tutorial for the installer

Well normally the building exemplar is already in the desc file. So when you have all files grouped together you'll have something like this in your folder:
- xx.sc4model
- xx.sc4desc
- xx.sc4lot
(for 1 model with 1 lot). All those files are required for your plugin to work.

The model file contains obviously your model of the pylon.
The desc file contains the building exemplar (with things like plop cost, power consumption etc) or a prop exemplar (with things like visibility on different levels and other settings).
The lot file contains a lot exemplar (with the location of your model, ID's of the textures you used and settings for slopes etc) and some png images like the item icons.

That was the easy part. Normally you need all three files. But if you make a plop, the building exemplar gets merged into the lot file. So when you finished your lot, you can throw it away. But don't throw away exemplars for the props, you still need those &Thk/(

Hope this provides some more insight on how plugins work and what is required and what not. If it's still unclear, let me know and I'll write a little tutorial for you. You can also send the files to me, and I'll do packaging for you.

- Merijn

Buzzit

well you certainly made some things clear!

but you typed down this: But if you make a plop, the building exemplar gets merged into the lot file. So when you finished your lot, you can throw it away. But don't throw away exemplars for the props, you still need those

this is a bit confusing
ok  the exmplar (desc file) gets into the lot file but is it possible to get it out of there aswell?
i never trowed away any desc files exept for the loose ones.

tag_one

Ofcourse you can the building exemplar out of the .lot file. You can do that with the iLive Reader. It's no more then ctrl-x'ing the building exemplar and past it in the 'blank dat' section (in the 'loaded DAT' tab on the left side of the screen). Then you save the new file as a .dat file. it's not very hard, but I dunno why you want to do that though. It's easier (and faster for the game) to have the building exemplar in the .lot file.

As you said you had a loose desc files, I assume you made your lots and props with PIMX. If so, then it's really easy. Delete the loose desk's (like you already did) and keep the others.

Then you're ready for packaging, which is no more than putting a readme together (hint: SC4Tool with a standard template and 2 minutes of your time) and add in in an installer (I have some great files that make assembling an installer much easier ;))

Hope this cleared things up a bit more :)

Buzzit

Quote from: tag_one on October 31, 2010, 05:29:07 AM
Ofcourse you can the building exemplar out of the .lot file. You can do that with the iLive Reader. It's no more then ctrl-x'ing the building exemplar and past it in the 'blank dat' section (in the 'loaded DAT' tab on the left side of the screen). Then you save the new file as a .dat file. it's not very hard, but I dunno why you want to do that though. It's easier (and faster for the game) to have the building exemplar in the .lot file.

As you said you had a loose desc files, I assume you made your lots and props with PIMX. If so, then it's really easy. Delete the loose desk's (like you already did) and keep the others.

Then you're ready for packaging, which is no more than putting a readme together (hint: SC4Tool with a standard template and 2 minutes of your time) and add in in an installer (I have some great files that make assembling an installer much easier ;))

Hope this cleared things up a bit more :)

aah alright
im starting to understand it so if i done it with PIM_X
the file is merged with it so i only need the lot files and models files in one place + a readme
and than  making an installer for it if i understand it correctly?

tag_one

If there are no props then yes, you'll only need the model and the lot file for a plop building. If you do have props however, you need include the prop exemplar desc files as well in the installer. Best way to see if everything works is to make a new 'plugins' folder and rename the excising one to something like plugin1 or something. Then you can place your files into the new folder and check if everything still does whit it's suppose to do in SC4. Afterwards you can rename plugin1 back to plugins and everything is the way it was (if you don't save the game). I use this procedure a lot to alfa test things like proppacks. ;)   

Buzzit

okay i made an installer tryed it out and it seems to work! for a first try im pretty proud of it hehe ()stsfd()
anyways.. im trying to make a zipe file wich contains the installer tobad im getting this error:
[Window Title]
WinZip

[Main Instruction]
Error: Could not create output file (C:\Installer.zip).

[OK]

i don't have a clue what to do now..

somebody any ideas?

Buzzit

nevermind it worked!

its here!
http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=25198

i got over exited and eccidently uploaded it twice  :-[
but i can't seem to delete the second file if i click on yes with deleting nothing happends lol

Girafe

Well job  &apls &apls

I expected one pylon (90 and 45) without cables, because at higher zooms cables appear very badly and it's not so well looking.

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Buzzit

Quote from: Girafe on November 02, 2010, 09:53:45 AM
Well job  &apls &apls

I expected one pylon (90 and 45) without cables, because at higher zooms cables appear very badly and it's not so well looking.

you mean pylons without cables?
i was planning to release a seperate pack for that :)

mightygoose

man this is going to be ludicrously comprehensive by the sounds of it,
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Buzzit

Quote from: mightygoose on November 02, 2010, 10:02:01 AM
man this is going to be ludicrously comprehensive by the sounds of it,
jep i was aware of that aswell
thats why im going to release every pylon set i make seperately so people can chose what they want ;)

mightygoose

just make sure you do some large river crossing ones, and once you have done the whole world, maybe you would consider taking some fantasy pylon requests.... ::)

ok just spotting your upload on the stex... when you do the cableless versions... render them at Fractional angles also. 22.5, 67.5, 112.5, 157.5, 202.5, 247.5, 292.5, 337.5.

that way we can photoshop the cables in afterward and the pylons can roam free.

Buzzit

well there are some futuristic pylons wich i really wanna try sometime or those humanoid ones.

anyways thats a lot of angles! but i will start on it as soon as i released some more wired ones.
never thought about the photoshop idea.. its pretty good accually!

Girafe

Quote from: mightygoose on November 02, 2010, 10:12:56 AM

ok just spotting your upload on the stex... when you do the cableless versions... render them at Fractional angles also. 22.5, 67.5, 112.5, 157.5, 202.5, 247.5, 292.5, 337.5.

Pylons are reversible and could be turn each from 90° with LE  &sly

so 0° 22,5° 45° & 67,5° could be ok if we want all quoted angles  &Thk/(
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

mightygoose

Buzzit

what i totally forgot to say today is that im busy with a new one aswell.

its way smaller than the french one and it also carries why less power
its a dutch pylon common in the province of Zuid-Holland.
it carries a variety of voltages (between 110 and 220 kilovolts).

a picture:

i still haven't much time to work on the lines due school but since im getting more and more experienced  with this means that will  be able to release lines in a more efficient way.

MandelSoft

Sweet  ;)! I've seen several of those, Buzzit.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Aaron Graham

Great job!!!! on your first upload and your power lines are looking wonderful. Keep it up my friend, I'm going to keep checking here for updates.
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

Buzzit

a little update for the dutch 110/220kv pylon

its almost done! only a few more things that need to be done and its ready for ingame!

metarvo

Good work, Buzzit!  :thumbsup:  It looks like your hard work is paying off.  I notice that the updated pole has single wires as opposed to the wire couplets shown in the previous picture.  Are you planning to make both, or are you going to use one or the other?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.