• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

IDS's BATs!

Started by IDS, August 14, 2011, 04:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

Orange_o_

Bravo, the ground floor, really gives life to your building, it is not just a "cube" textured.

However the windows of the floors are not treated the same way, there is a lag in appearance.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

Girafe

This BAT looks good.

I agree with my dear guinea fowl.

If you go to self illumination on glass, it's better to apply this in entire BAT. However in your case I would try to light the BAT with self illumination on the floors / ceilings as your glass in not totally opaque  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

art128

Great work with the lighting it looks wonderful specially in the lobby of the tower.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

spa

This is really good work. A great model of a really ugly building :) Nightlights are nice and warm and what really grabs my eye is the roof. You've got a good texture and the right amount of roof junk (not too much, but enough to be interesting). In batting, it's very easy, especially early on, to get carried away and chuck a ton of hvacs and vents and stuff on top when there would be way less in the real world (my early work had that problem). I don't really agree with orange or girafe about the lighting. The ground floor has so much more height that I personally don't find the difference in lighting between the upper floors and the lower ones distracting. I do, however, have two minor suggestions.

1. The glass skylights above the covered entrance really doesn't work. I think it's too dark.
2. I think the cylinder office portion on the roof is too tall in comparison to the rest of the building. It looks like the windows are 3-4 times larger than those on the lower floors. I would expect some increased height, but maybe it's too much?

Anyway, very minor suggestions. It would be fine as is.

vester

Quote from: spa on December 08, 2011, 05:55:12 PM
1. The glass skylights above the covered entrance really doesn't work. I think it's too dark.

I would agree with Spa on that.

What I would do is set a light (spotlight) above the skylights, 20, 30 or 40 meters to meters above them.
Then set them to only include1) the skylight geometrics and try out different levels of lights, until you get a good results, you like.

1)  Its starts out as a Exclude button, in gmax it's in second row under General parameters. (Also under General parameters in Max)