• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Fairfield² - Update 4 | Nautical transport

Started by AcoG000, January 16, 2012, 08:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcoG000

View this and other Fairfield Volume I updates at the Fairfield Archives

Fairfield² is a relatively new UB that follows the story of the developing colony of Fairfield, ran by governor Vladimir Verdigris. We see the world through mainly the narrator's eyes, sometimes spinning off to other people's POVs (such as the tour of King Charles II of Jamesland in Update 5.

Table of Contents
Update I | Shipwrecked!
Update II | Expansion
Update III | We need to go deeper!

Update IV | Nautical Transport
Visit cheeseSC4! A very good (slightly small) site!

threestooges

Welcome to SC4D and good to see a new MD popping up. It's rare to see someone work solely with Maxis material, but it is fairly impressive what the game is capable of just with its original material. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this develops.

AcoG000

Welcome back to the Fairfield region, and I hope you enjoyed the last update. Thank you, threestooges, for the comment. It's appreciated.
I was going to originally update it tomorrow, but imgur will be down (all day tomorrow, to protest SOPA).
Anyways, let's get on with the update.
Update The Second - Tifton
Tifton is a town just north of Fairfield. It is one of the fastest growing towns in the region. Its population is estimated 3,000, half that of Fairfield's 6,000

1.1 - This is an overview of the town of Tifton. It is a seemingly everlasting boom town at the moment.

1.2 - Tifton is home to a Cartrail station, and is also the busiest passenger station in the area.

1.3 - A new subway system was installed between Tifton and Fairfield to ease traffic conditions on the road and on the rails.

1.4 - As depicted in the image, Tifton does not have as many large plantations, unlike Fairfield.

Well, that's all for this update. Next update will be a 2-part series, part 1 going over the region's transport systems, where part 2 will follow the progress of Grenfelt, including showing you how I build :).

P.S. I think I forgot to turn off the grid in these pictures. Can someone confirm this?
-Aco  ;)

Battlecat

Very nice start!  Interesting choice to primarily focus on maxis material, you've certainly made a good start of it.

You did indeed forget to turn off the grid, just hit G to fix that.  Don't worry about it too much though, I well know how easy it is to forget that.  :)

AcoG000

Just a heads up for next update
I would like to do a timelapse of me building Grenfelt, in a video. And if I can, I might even do a live stream (though it is unlikely)

apeguy

Nice start, it's not very often you see people working with mostly Maxis stuff, it'll be interesting to see how this develops. :)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

carlfatal

Mostly Maxis...
Some kind of "historical" MD...  ;)
And i see You´re using a slope mod, looks fine with it. But less streets would be more, as i can see three streets crossing the railway side by side. Away from that: nice, let´s see how it grows!
Greetz, Carl

AcoG000

Welcome to Update the Third, Part One. First, we'll go over the replies...
Carlfatal: Thanks for the comment. As with the street spam, I actually will be considering going over the current cities and removing some unnecessary streets after I post this.
Apeguy: Yeah, I was rather suprised how good this turned out (especially with only some basic plugins, like NAM, Terrain & Tree mods, etc.). Thanks for the comment!
Battlecat: Thanks! Like I said to apeguy, I was rather suprised how this turned out. And, I also forgot to turn off the grid in this video D:

And now, Update the Third, PART ONE!!!
For the love of god, please mute the video. (AVS effed up the sound)

I'll see you for part two
-Aco  ;)

bat

RickD

Neat video. I find it interesting to see how others play. I'm a bit sceptical about the dominance of Maxis content. But I am not fully anti-Maxis. They have some nice buidlings, too. I'll just wait and see how it turns out.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

AcoG000

Well shucks, isn't this dandy?
I accidentally DELETED the region Fairfield is based in while cleaning my PC. So that means I'll have to start over. I also, being dumb, deleted that entire plugins folder (okay, that's not much of a big deal right now, since it was fairly small). So, I'll have to do a restart of this MD. I didn't like the way it was turning out, anywho (I was considering of throwing in lots of custom BATs after I posted Update the Second, but whatever. Looks like that's gonna have to come true.)
In the meantime, enjoy this sloppy interchange made in Minecraft:

threestooges

Sorry to hear you'll have to pull a restart, but glad to hear you'll still be going for it. Incidentally, I like the use of Minecraft for that picture. Looks good.

RickD

Bummer. But don't give up now.

(And I guess I have to check out what this Minecraft fuzz is all about anyway  ::) )
My name is Raphael.

AcoG000

Replies (finally, I'm not too lazy to reply)

Threestooges: I was really hoping to have update 3 part II released on that post too  ()sad(). Thanks for the compliment on the minecraft pic!  :thumbsup:

RickD: lol, ya I won't. You should really check out minecraft if you haven't played it.

And, a new region I'm tree'ing. It was made from scratch by ME!

(No progress yet)

Instead of the semi-no-maxis rule I was using for the old edition, I'm going to use a significant amount of CC. So for now,

-Aco

edit:I uploaded this map under my STEX username, MechaKnight. Download it here on the stex

RickD

I'd love to see what you built on the region. The terrain looks challenging. :)
My name is Raphael.

AcoG000

...Without further ado...

Fairfield Volume II - Update the First

Here we will read an entry from well-known seafarer John Harper's logbook...

After a major hurricane, I regret to inform you, Sir Howard the First, that we had to abandon ship. The damages were much too terrible to fix. Even our chief repairman, Verdigris, could not fix the leaks that the large waves had caused. However, after a bit of exploring on the lifeboats, I am excited to inform you that we have found new land. Whether there are native people of this territory, we have established camp at coordinates X: 2099 Z: 730. We decided to give this place a name, so after some debates, we stuck with the name...

Oops! Looks like some of the page was torn out! Sorry! Well, I guess we can just skip right to the pictures!

0.1 Here we can see the dock that we built after we landed on the settlement. It is very basic, and will likely need replacing soon.

0.2 The town as it was about 12 months ago. As a matter in fact, we found native people of the area, and we have made some peaceful diplomacy with them.

0.3 And the town as it is now.

Oh, and for the record, my name is Vladimir Verdigris. Just so you know, I'm not the writer of that logbook entry, nor is it current.

RickD

I like the new beginning. There are a lot of services in this village.  :P
My name is Raphael.

yunxiang

Agreed on the comment about services. How do the sims afford it all? ()what()

I really love your choice of flora. It helps to make that village look very quaint. Also nice to see that you kept the nice flowing road networks from before. Hope to see more soon! :thumbsup:

AcoG000

Replies!  "$Deal"$
[/u][/b]
RickD: It's going to be a sea of services soon! :P (not really lol)

yunxiang: Actually, I'm not sure how they can pay for all of them.

Update 2 | Small town, big university.

Welcome to the 2nd Update of what's now known as Fairfield²! In this update, we explore the newly founded Grenfelt Harbor and check into the new Fairfield Nautical Transport Association (FNAT!).

Quote from: Verdigris
It's been a few days since I've last wrote in here. The journal is already collecting quite a lot o' dust. The reason that I haven't written for a few days is because being mayor is a busy job, mate. I constantly have to write reports to King Charles. I hate writing reports to him.

So ha, there's your entry for today. Now onto the real update.

2.1 - This is the new town of Grenfelt Harbor. It is home to the colony's first university, Grenfelt Nautical University.

2.2 - Here we can see the university's first annual graduation day.

2.3 - Meanwhile, the first hub for the FNTA (see above) has been built in Fairfield.

2.4 - Soon after, Grenfelt Ferry was opened.

Unfortunetly, I have no region census screenshot for this update. Never fear, though, as I will post another screenshot soon!

-The Narrator