• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

VDK Tranports Inc.

Started by vester, January 19, 2012, 09:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vester

Canadian National:

and have finished the night lights:

Girafe

top Arne  :thumbsup:,

I am curious, why you did not model train from DK?
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

rkelly17

Quote from: vester on March 11, 2016, 03:30:28 PM
Sorry got no idea, how to help you on that part. Would love to see trains with more than just one egnine at the front, being two (or more) and one at the back (or mid train (that is new to me))

I think it is one of those things one just has to accept in SC4 (and any city builder I have ever played).

Mid-train is not as common as it used to be in North America, but you do still see it on heavier trains on grades. It helps with the forces trying to pull the train apart. Unlike the old days when each helper set had its own crew, now they are all controlled by the engineer up front.

vester

Thank you both.

rkelly: Was wonder why the midtrain engines. Makes sence.

vester

I have worked on some more Class I railroad engines:

Simmer2

Hi Vester.
That locomotive is awesome  &apls

One wonders if you are going to make an actual model out of it.

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Swordmaster

Fantastic skins! &apls &apls

Maybe these ones if you feel like it?

Conrail

Iowa Interstate

They were ordered for Australia as well but down under they use them all wrong ;D

Quote from: rkelly17 on March 13, 2016, 08:16:39 AMUnlike the old days when each helper set had its own crew, now they are all controlled by the engineer up front.

Distributed power, for those who want to read up about it.

Cheers
Willy

vester

Quote from: Simmer2 on March 15, 2016, 10:07:11 AM

Well it is a model ?!?  ()what()

Willy: Was thinking about the first two.

What is the name of the railroad in the last ?

Swordmaster

You can also search for Pilbara Iron or Rio Tinto.

Cheers
Willy

art128

Quote from: vester on March 15, 2016, 02:01:22 PM
Quote from: Simmer2 on March 15, 2016, 10:07:11 AM

Well it is a model ?!?  ()what()

I think he meant props.

Lovely work as usual, I like these engines, but i definitely feel uncomfortable using them in Japan! :D
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

404TimeNotFound

Hey Vester, I'd like to apologize for my absence on the forums since early February I think it was back when I requested those CTA el trains. Unfortunately life decided to throw a bunch of crap at me that I won't go on and on about, but part of it was my laptop, the only computer I own dying on me and subsequently me losing all my SC4 progress and plugins as well  :'(. As I am by no means made of money I wasn't able to get one until last week, and even then it's used so fingers crossed it lasts. I plan on starting a new city here in a day or two once I get the rest of my plugins I had back where they belong. Speaking of the CTA trains Are they finished or are they on hold while you're working on these new trains? The progress you made on them is great and they look fanatastic and I'd gladly send some screenshots of them running in my city once it's started and decent enough!

Simcoug

Great looking engines  :thumbsup:
They have some 'heft' to them... not sure what it is, but the design gives the sense of 'muscle'  :)

art128

Quote from: Simcoug on March 16, 2016, 09:55:51 PM
They have some 'heft' to them... not sure what it is, but the design gives the sense of 'muscle'  :)

Well they do have a very high power output for diesel engines... (6200hp!) :) Just as a comparison, only two French engines come close to such an output, and they're Electrical engines, the BB26000 (7500hp) and the BB36000 (8000hp).
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

APSMS

What is their tractive effort (pulling power from start)?

An diesel electric is kinda like electric, right? Just a different electricity source.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Swordmaster

Heh, I used to have the 36000 on my driver's licence. Great engine to work with. The Belgian 13 series is derived from it.

As a general rule, diesel engines have higher tractive effort, despite (usually) lower HP. A 1500 hp diesel-hydraulic engine (meaning transmission through oil) can move loads of up to 5000 tons, while a 8000 hp electric engine couldn't dream of moving those. On the other hand, the diesel probably won't get even 1000 tons across the 30 mph limit, while an electric engine can get it to 60 mph, using far less energy.

Cheers
Willy

romualdillo

Great work as always, Arne!!  &apls

APSMS

Quote from: Swordmaster on March 17, 2016, 12:13:39 PM
Heh, I used to have the 36000 on my driver's licence. Great engine to work with. The Belgian 13 series is derived from it.

As a general rule, diesel engines have higher tractive effort, despite (usually) lower HP. A 1500 hp diesel-hydraulic engine (meaning transmission through oil) can move loads of up to 5000 tons, while a 8000 hp electric engine couldn't dream of moving those..
Hmm. Interesting to note, but I was specifically asking about Arne's model, which is a GE Evolution, which  is diesel electric. Do those suffer the same speed limitations as diesel hydraulic? My understanding was that a diesel hydraulic is easier and cheaper to produce and maintain in large numbers, but less efficient overall, which is probably why they're more common in Europe than the US (prevalence mostly due to postwar development, whereas the US railroads had the spare cash). Of course my knowledge of European rail history is fractional at best, and mostly limited to the UK rather than continental Europe, but that was the impression I got.

EDIT: Google seems to be my friend. Max tractive effort of the evolution series is about 180 000lbs starting, and 166 000 lbs continuous at 14mph (sorry guys it's an American engine).

Compare to 135 000lbs on a UP Big Boy (4-8-8-4) @ 10mph. The Big Boy could carry about 8700 tons (US/short) over the Wasatch Mtns in Wyoming unassisted. I suspect it doesn't take more than a few (if that) of the GE Evolutions to do the same. Both have a top speed of 70 mph; the Big Boy's HP rating is ~6300, and the Evolution, ~4400 (model dependent).

Either way, it seems to be a very powerful engine. Color me impressed. I was not expecting 30 000lbs TE per axle/traction motor.

Also, Arne, so far the work is lovely. I can't find anything wrong with it. As usual, your modeling and texturing continues to impress! Thanks for the hard work :thumbsup:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Swordmaster

Diesel-hydraulic and diesel-electric are used for different purposes. The former are more precise at low speeds, therefore more efficient as shunting engines than the latter. With some experience you can get hydraulics to run at speeds accurate within a fraction of a mph. With diesel-electrics on the other hand, it's easier to maintain a constant speed at higher velocities.

There's also diesel-mechanical, which we call toy trains :D

Cheers
Willy

vester

Wow a lot of talk about the different train types.

Thank for all you comments.

Here is a few more. This time we go back in time: Great Northern, Empire Builder:

Simmer2

Vester, I hope you make a prop as well.
________________________________________________________________________________