• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Compatibility between LEX and STEX Collections (obsolescence/redundancy)

Started by QuinRiva, January 26, 2012, 11:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuinRiva

I've recently decided to start adding some content from the STEX collection CD/DVD's to what is currently an almost exclusive LEX/PLEX installation, and I'm wondering if there is any easy(er) way to make sure that I'm not installing redundant or obsolete files.

This is a particular problem with the older collections.  Taking a quick look at the dependency list on Collection 1 (the CD), and I think nearly all of them have since been replaced by MegaPacks.  Presumably not installing anything with BSC/CSX/SimGoober (as I would already have it from the LEX), would be a start, but I'm not sure if there is a better way?

catty

Not sure there is an easy answer to this, if you haven't already then I would suggest taking a look at the SC4D Dependency List

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?page=4

it hasn't been updated recently, but should help with some of the megapack information

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

whatevermind

There's no easy way that I know of.  One solution I'll sometimes use, especially after installing a lot of new files, is to check the cleanitols that came with the mega packs to see if you installed any files that are overridden by the packs.  Of course, this requires some patience and having the cleanitol file available (or in existence, not all packs have them.)

Datpacker will flag duplicate files it finds while datpacking, and if you backed up all your plugins ahead of time, you could then track down the offending file in your backups and figure out what it conflicts with and which one is newer...also not fast or easy.

Ilive's Reader has a compare .dat function that you can use to see if two files have the same info - which can be useful if you've downloaded old BATs that have separate props or textures files packaged with them, and want to compare these files to that creator's mega packs.  But again, it's a very selective use and wouldn't be practical for a large number of files.

As always with plugins, it helps to be organized and to hold on to your readmes, it'll make it easier to find conflicts and figure out what you already have installed.  That, and a whole lot of trial and error.

QuinRiva

Quote from: catty on January 27, 2012, 11:59:26 AM
Not sure there is an easy answer to this, if you haven't already then I would suggest taking a look at the SC4D Dependency List

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?page=4

it hasn't been updated recently, but should help with some of the megapack information

:)

Yeah, that's the problem.  Last update was in 2009, but I guess that's still newer than the STEX Collections.

jmyers2043

Quote from: QuinRiva on January 26, 2012, 11:04:33 PM
I've recently decided to start adding some content from the STEX collection CD/DVD's to what is currently an almost exclusive LEX/PLEX installation, and I'm wondering if there is any easy(er) way to make sure that I'm not installing redundant or obsolete files.

This is a particular problem with the older collections.  Taking a quick look at the dependency list on Collection 1 (the CD), and I think nearly all of them have since been replaced by MegaPacks.  Presumably not installing anything with BSC/CSX/SimGoober (as I would already have it from the LEX), would be a start, but I'm not sure if there is a better way?

That is a good way to start. I'd venture to say that 99% BSC material is on the LEX. That means you can cherry pick remaining game assets from the STEX. The other good news is that the LEX has a feature that tells the gamer if he/she has downloaded a prop pack before ... So that is a measure of what you have and you'll not spend unnecessary time downloading things twice, thrice, four times because you're not sure if you have it or not.

I'd say the other solution is how one organizes their plugins. I use the TEAM\CREATOR e.g. BSC\Jestarr\Name of Lot, so everything goes to the same folder and it may be easier to spot duplicates during the installation process.

Good Luck keeping track.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)