• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sydney Opera House - For one night only!

Started by callagrafx, January 25, 2013, 02:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callagrafx

OK, I've sobered up now from a rather intensive weekend, and managed to (mostly) finish the main building structure, which I simply cloned to make the smaller section of the Opera House.  Texturing going OK too.

Question:  Do I leave it on the base (as shown in the pics) or should I have the Opera House building without a base?  With the base I get better shadows, but it'll look a little bare, and if it's not on a base, it gives more scope for lotting.  Also, size.  It currently sits on 8 tiles x 5 tiles... is this too small?  It's been ages since I had to think of anything other than real world scale.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

BarbyW

Looks superb, Lee, but then I would expect nothing less from you. I would be happy to do the lot honours etc for you even though I am barely back into SC4.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

art128

Absolutely wonderful.

As for the lot and base.

Would be great if it is possible to make three version. One base to be plopped half on water as the real Opera, one with the base to be plopped on ground, and one without base.

Actually don't mind that. Vortext and Shaun's idea are much better. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Diggis

The canary yellow section is a nice Aussie touch. I'm surprised they haven't painted the whole thing that colour already. ;)

It looks amazing mate. I'm all for leaving the base. Can you not do a custom LOD for it and allow Barby to put some props in there?

vortext

Looks splendid!  &apls

As for the base, why not export it seperate with walls extending underground, if that's possible. That way the base could be added as a prop.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

MTT9

It looks amazing Cal! If i were you i would follow vortext's idea...
You can call me Matt

M4346

I like Shaun's idea best.

It's looking great!

Will there be a CAL Canal version? ;D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

xannepan

It looks fantastic. I'd say also that vortex idea for the base would have my preference. In that case make sure though you have thightly fitting LODs :)

threestooges

Now this is a building I've been hoping to see one day in the game. The shadows are great. I think you could get away with a custom LOD that allowed for props to be placed slightly above it without producing a hovering effect.
-Matt

callagrafx

So, the general consensus is keep the Opera House separate to the base, and have two bases, one which extends down for use on water and the other standard height... OK, I should be able to manage that.  What about the size though, does the scale look OK?  I don't really have anything to compare it with.  As I mentioned, at it's current size it should sit on an 8x5 LOT.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Diggis

Quote from: callagrafx on January 31, 2013, 08:59:02 AM
So, the general consensus is keep the Opera House separate to the base, and have two bases, one which extends down for use on water and the other standard height... OK, I should be able to manage that.  What about the size though, does the scale look OK?  I don't really have anything to compare it with.  As I mentioned, at it's current size it should sit on an 8x5 LOT.

I'm not sure what that compares with but this deserves a big lot, so it sounds good to me.

mattb325

Quote from: callagrafx on January 31, 2013, 08:59:02 AM
....What about the size though, does the scale look OK?  I don't really have anything to compare it with.  As I mentioned, at it's current size it should sit on an 8x5 LOT.

Looking good &apls

In real life it is 183m long by 130m wide (approx 11x8 SC4 tiles); your proportions are OK, it may just be slightly underscaled (say 1.2 times). Obiously it doesn't need to be exact...

Also, (and I am assuming that the windows aren't finished yet), here's a good picture to help you get an idea of the mullion spacing and arrangement on the large windows as well as the gap between the two semisphere sections.

:thumbsup:

weixc812

Wow, great effort  &apls
I've always been longing for a new Sydney Opera House. :D
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

callagrafx

Why is it every image of the SOH I look at, I see something I completely missed in other images?  Do you guys keep remodelling it after each season?  It's like hitting a moving target.   :'(

Matt, I tried to do the mullions to the same spec as the original but they're too close together to render coherently, which is why I did a cut-down spin on it... also, the windows were created using an editable poly then adding a lattice, so to increase the mullion count now would mean a major remodel of the front window, which wasn't easy the first time round.  I'm afraid it'll have to be a more "stylised" version than a 100% accurate one  :thumbsup:

But thanks so much for that image, it show's I've got the two sections too far apart and I need to add in the canopy between them. When I get more downtime, I'll adjust and post an update.

Diggis

*whispers* OK guys, he thinks he's got it worked out. Add an extra sail to each wing.

peterycristi

fantastic work! this building was really missing for sc4  &apls
H I S T O R I S C H E S   B E R L I N

callagrafx

threestooges

Even if it's not a rivet-counted reproduction, I think it's looking great. There's no mistaking what it's supposed to be. As for the extra details, I had always thought that was something only I did when I modeled buildings. Then again, I didn't have friends like Shaun helping out.

As for unusual shapes like the opera house's "sails" how did you go about reproducing those? Unusual (non-rectangular) shapes like those have always daunted me when modeling.
-Matt

callagrafx

Quote from: threestooges on February 01, 2013, 10:46:18 AM
As for unusual shapes like the opera house's "sails" how did you go about reproducing those? Unusual (non-rectangular) shapes like those have always daunted me when modeling.
-Matt

Trade secret  :thumbsup:   $%Grinno$%

Actually, quite straightforward.  I created the "arc" cross section, then lofted to create the curved shape, then simple boolean cutouts to finish off.  Converted the whole thing to editable poly for some vertex tuning (chamfering the edges, that sort of thing).  They're all pretty much the same shape, just done at different angles.  The hardest part was doing that only from photos from the interweb...

I'm actually amazed that no-one else has seriously tackled this before, but I can only find one other model and that's on the STEX (and I can't say I was impressed with that either).

MTT9

You can call me Matt