• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Farms North of Grasmere () My SC4 MD Scrapbook

Started by Vizoria, October 08, 2014, 02:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c.p.

I second everything manga rivotra said.

Great city building :thumbsup:

You make me want to go scavenge the STEX for relots :D

art128

We've just passed the 100th replies mark, congratulations on making it to the best sellers! :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Vizoria

Replies:

FrankU: Cheers!

Themistokles: I believe that has something to do with rsc204's Euro NAM textures mod- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30159-mgb-terrain-grass-nam-euro-textures-version/. Don't quote me on that though.

art128: Thank you, a lot of my SC4 cities are like that: a selection of mods from the very old to the very new.

manga rivotra: Thanks! I do have a knack for placing things in SC4 and that's how I approach this game- why lot when you can use the mods at ones disposal.

c.p.:thumbsup: And scavenge those relots!

art128: Wahey!

{---}

Entry 23: Northeast Annuq

This entry has a little bit of everything: skyscrapers, offices blocks, suburbs, suburban sprawl, diagonal buildings, shopping malls and other quirks as well.

{---}

The area featured in today's update.

Various W2W blocks.

I had to scour all over the STEX, LEX and PLEX for W2W BATs to get some good variety and variation.

One of the older areas of Annuq that has not been knocked down- well not largely so.

I like the 135 degree angled, arcing blue building in the centre.

Infilling the diagonal W2W areas is important to. I used Paeng's pedmall plaza tiles to achieve a nice diagonal effect with the lights and benches to the centre left.

A rather large and leafy shopping mall.

This is one MEGA lot.

The Place, a building directly adjacent to the Shard, in London, in real life.

Right in the centre is my favourite W2W city block.

For some reason I thought it would be nice to plop in a row of Halifax BATs.

Though small, I think they are a nice break from the taller buildings.

The city block in the centre is one part commercial to the left and one part residential to the right.

A jumbled mess of community gardens plus a small gardening centre.

This city block was made wider so as to incorporate space for parking, well it was cheaper than adding in another underground carpark.

Police suspect that the shack in the bottom left of this picture is a meth lab, this mayor though has convinced the police otherwise. It is hard being mayor and deity at the same time.

One of the major highways which cuts straight through Annuq.

Moving northwards now and we come to the forested border between Annuq and the oil refinery.

I always make sure that shops with carparks are actually connected to the road.

This hi-rise is an outlier, but it is one beautiful outlier.

The secret to W2W areas is decent alleyways.

Moving northwards now and away from the higher density areas.

Crossing American, European and Japanese apartments works in a strange way.

Japanese apartments. And, to save the inevitable questions which always come from navigating through Asian SC4 websites, this building can be found on this webpage- http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/somy000/. It is one of somy's creations.

nofunk's Milwaukee apartments- the two story houses. GREAT housing fillers because they always tend to spawn on the 1 by 3 residential zones and they come in lots of different combinations and five different colours.

One of the things I recently enjoyed creating in SC4 were graveyards.

Paeng's modular graveyard set in full display here. Thank God I downloaded it several months ago before the PLEX closed.

rsc204's road grass texture mod showing its magic. Combined with the Sudden Valley terrain mod's base texture replacement, now the terrain will show up in the grassy areas of the roads. Here is the link for the Euro version- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30159-mgb-terrain-grass-nam-euro-textures-version/. This mod is a genuine game changer because it subtly changes the look of the game but on a massive scale.

One last overview.

{---}

And for next time-

-canals and industry.

manga rivotra

Excellent work as always. &apls
I particularly like distant views 1 and 40 and also closer districts views 2, 3 and 13. Superb atmosphere and great choice of buildings  :thumbsup:

art128

Splendid showcase once more. The diagonal parts are well done, something which is actually not that easy to manage. :)

Props & Texture Catalog

kelis

You have your own style but it is quite nice. Keep doing the same  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

romualdillo

It looks really good!! The first image is stunning!!  &apls But it's the second one which I like the most. I don't know why, but it really caught my eye!!   ;)

carlfatal

A really stunning update!  &apls

I don´t know, wich picture I like most, - there are too much of them. But I definately like your mix of US an European architecture. Everything looks so "naturally" grown together, as if there would have been no other choice. At least the Parisian corner building and the Place des Vosges seem to have their origin here. Wonderful!

And I know, I have to come back and look at it again.  :popcorn:

Keep it up, I am just a fan.  :thumbsup:

Dantes

I have no words. So many different building styles. And it fits together! Sophisticated, yet randomly built. Great skill! I love looking at each picture with a lot of time.

Vizoria

Replies:

manga rivotra: Thank you, so much time is spent scrolling up and down the landmarks menu and the building plop menu.

art128: Thanks, it's been a while since I last returned to Annuq and I have to admit the area is rather diverse.

kelis: I reckon my own rule of not using the lot editor contributes heavily to my style.

romualdillo: There definitely is something about two W2W city blocks in that second picture.

carlfatal: I love to mix and match, that is the magic of the heavily modded SC4.

Dantes: Cheers!

Unconstean: Thank you!

{---}

One Small Taster

So even though I had the time RL was too distracting, anyway there is still more to show from Annuq and over the last two days I have been finishing off the farms and countryside in the north-west part of the city tile. Here is a taster of what I have been working on.

This Saturday I will post the entry about the canals and the industry, the one I teased about a few months ago in the last update. Finally have a good weekend.

Vizoria

Entry 24: North of the Canal

A whole ton of pictures ranging from canals, port areas, garbage dumps, rail depots and the great grungy concrete jungle in Annuq. Enjoy!

{---}

The canal vastly widens as it links to a major river, close to the sea and hidden somewhere in the city tile to the right, which is very close to an estuary.

Loving the barges. Found here- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1815.

A brewery.

Warehouses and car parks.

Using T Wrecks IRM I merged these warehouses together to create a bigger structure.

I always border my railways with trees and fences to really separate the railways from the rest of the cities infrastructure.

What you can't do with lots you can do with MMPs.

This village is very much a community for all the workers who have jobs nearby in the surrounding industry.

Garbage scows!

Even industrial areas can have pretty waterfronts and pathways.

One thing I would like to realise emphasise about RL industrial areas is the amount of green space they have, it's not all concrete and wasteland between the factories and storage areas.

NAM 32 RRW is great fun to use, I look forward to getting my mits on NAM 33 RRW because with flex tracks there will be wealth tiles- yay!

Which is why RRW really forced me to change my industrial style because there are no wealth tiles with the NAM I use.

Even more waste disposal docks.

A very (for industrial) pretty coal wharf. Found here- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1653.

Industry is not always big factories and railyards, there are warehouses and truck stops to.

FrankU's warehouse pack in action- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/22968-modular-warehouse-pack/.

Two railways diverging FAR style.

When placing two transit-enabled railway depots there is always a one-tile gap between the two depots. Adding a street makes that one-tile gap stand out a lot less, but be careful of the transit-enabled CTD caused by an unsteady hand.

Search the WorkingMan Productions website for this freight station, the style is awfully similar to WMP's style.

A bit of large docklands.

Though Simgoober's canals only come in orthogonal, diagonal and tight curved corners one can still get some classy design from them.

In parts of Annuq's industrial areas I eased up on the density of buildings, and fillers, to just let the terrain breathe and show itself.

The factory with the large smokestack is the Kocioł Regeneracyjny oil power plant- http://www.simcitypolska.pl/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=198.

{---}

This Tuesday stay tuned for more canals, industry and wasteland.

vortext

Nice to see another update!  :thumbsup:

Great work with the canals, and the mmp-ing is on point as per usual!  &apls &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

art128

Nice work with the industry, it all fits together nicely. :)

Props & Texture Catalog

mgb204

Great stuff as always, the sense of scale is always something I admire in your cities. I dread to think of the size of your plugins folder though.

Quote from: Themistokles on August 25, 2015, 11:44:50 PM
A question: On the last picture, how did you get Sudden Valley textures on Paeng's parks?

Indeed that's my TGN mod.

Kergelen

Great industrial area as allways!

looking forward to the rural area. The teaser looks interesting

Links to SC4 websites

Vizoria

Replies

vortext: Thank you very much, good to hear that from an MMP master like yourself.

art128: Industry has been my favourite SC4 area for the last two years, I guess that is why I go the extra mile when building industrial areas.

mgb204: 7GB of plugins, and thanks for the sense of scale comment!

Kergelen: The rural area will be the last update(s) from Annuq, give it two weeks, there is still plenty more of Annuq to show, and then I will post them.

{---}

Entry 25: South of the Canal

And now it is time to see the south of the canal. As a bonus there are a whole ton of links and suggestions to look up on the STEX, LEX and other sites regarding content I use to create these industrial areas. Most of the links/content you will be familiar with but there are a few ones which aren't the usual suspects.

{---}

The area to be viewed today is the southern part of the canal.

The barges can be found here- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1815.

Railyards above and cement works at the bottom left.

I found the cement works on the Simcity Polska site- http://www.simcitypolska.pl/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=195.

Parked freight trains are an industrial essential, check out fantozzi's Real Freightyard on the STEX for some useful freight train lots.

The canals are Simgoober's and I utilised a lot of canal buildings which had Simgoober-canal style.

A comprehensive list of canal buildings can be found by typing in "canal" or "canal buildings" in the BSC LEX search.

Using the RRW, and the lack of wealth tiles that come with it, forced me to change my approach towards railways.

Prim's Island, the small L-shaped island in the centre of the canal.

Laying down all of the railways was a bit of a nightmare because I just had to add in every industrial building which came with railway transit enabled lots.

The Chelsea Mills Grain Elevator, both the canal and non-canal versions totally rock and are a sizeable addition to any industrial area. The grain hopper trucks remind me of the ones in Transport Tycoon. Found here- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1367.

Nearly all of the brown-bricked industrial buildings are jestarr creations found on the LEX.

Moving southwards and we come to some fields and wasteland.

This site used to be the location of a ketchup manufacturing plant.

The site had two buildings, the smaller one, with the smaller concrete footprint, was a storage facility for finished ketchup bottles. Now it just stores rubbish, the detritus of fly-tipping and some gravel mounds.

The larger site contained the processing plant which created the ketchup. It is said the company went out of business after relabelling its ketchup bottles to catsup. This confused the hell out of customers.

In the centre is a managed woodland.

Currently half of this woodland is going to be chopped down.

Check out nbvc's logging set, this is where nearly all of the fallen trees, machinery and lumber piles come from. In fact just download all of nbvc's content: marinas, rocks, lumber, seawalls, MMPs, garbage facilities, markets, aquatic creatures, boats, tents, oil terminals, docks and bikes. This guy has a knack for creating all the content that is somehow missing in SC4.

The pine trees are girafe's conifers- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2698. girafe- lord of the flora.

A useful tree filler is Pegasus' random woods- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/4526-peg-random-woods-v206/, it is an oldy but get a Maxis tree replacer and it starts to look pretty darn good. Prim Island is filled to the brim with these tree fillers.

The carpark in the centre right uses T Wrecks IRM (Industrial Revolution Mod) manufacturing filler set, in general T Wrecks IRM and IRM W2W are two incredible contributions to modded industrial areas. Here is the link to one of T Wrecks IRM addon mods to get you started, http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28298-industrial-revolution-mod-i-m-filler-set-1/. I cannot emphasise enough that industrial areas would not be the same without these filler sets, and while you are at it check out his 5 by 5 housing lots.

For that fine MMP grass check out chrisadams3997's RRP Pasture Flora- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1886. His fences, MMP paths and sports fields are also on the LEX and highly useful.

It may sound counter-intuitive yet industrial areas have a lot of green areas, even industrial settlements like for instance Teesside. Just use google maps, type in "teesside sembcorp utilities uk" and zoom out to see the satellite view of Teesside's industrial areas, the number of green areas between the industry is quite astonishing.

The little patches of dirt are ionionion's OMCo filling gravel, a very useful MMP! http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/25709-omco-filling-gravel/. It can tie together so many different situations: fields, forests, grassland, wasteland and all sorts.

The south of this industrial area is dotted with quite a few warehouses.

For some useful diagonal fillers I highly recommend NightOwls Diagonal Industrial Fillers and Extenders, by murimk, on the STEX.

For more useful diagonal fillers SFBT's diagonal fillers are a must have- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1197.

MMP fields are my latest SC4 obsession. Also see that dirt track going under the bridge? Heblem's paths- http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/29426-franku-heblem-sand-addon/. Good for river banks, paths, farms, car parks, woodland, construction sites and a whole ton of other things.

And a campsite because why not?

Because even though it's in the middle of the city...

... a bit of nature is always nice.

{---}

And to round it off here is a mosaic going across a large section of Annuq.

{---}

To sum up old does go well with the new!

feyss

Great pictures  :thumbsup: I especially like the rail network.

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

MAS71

I don't able to believe that is a game which same as I played  $%Grinno$%
I have only one word 'Wondeful !!'  &apls  &apls  &apls