• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Levante

Started by nedalezz, January 16, 2007, 05:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rw0381c

Great job nedalezz!  &apls

I especially like the details paid to the suburb on the first picture. The houses with their own little street (I don't know how to describe it). Anyways, I would definitely love to live there, only if I could afford it!  :'(

R

nedalezz

Personal Replies

rw0381c: I'm sure we could get you a deal with Icon Real Estate  :thumbsup: Im glad you found your way over here to sc4devotion.com! You were definitely one of my most vocal/involved readers.

petercintn: I agree, smart city planning requires grids. Thanks for the comment, hope you stay enjoying the CJ.

KooriSim123: Tell your wife and mate I say thanks! The beach seems to be very popular with the readers/lurkers/on-lookers, which is good. Thanks for the comment.

Sebes: That particular neighborhood of Bronkstone Road was constructed in the spirit of an old English village by immigrants from Bolton. Its a lovely place, with some lovely pubs.

emilin: Thats what downtown Southport currently looks like. Telfair Transportation and their new bus routes have helped eased the tension going into the business district, which has encouraged more foreign investment now that more people are finding their way to the downtown area.

threestooges: Hey, the important thing is you found it and you keep tuning back in every once in a while! Thanks for the comment.

Nik-Nik:
You can't win 'em all; yeah, the Photoshop flip unfortunately doesnt consider actual wording in the pictures! Thanks for stopping by.

Ajax: Everyone has their own taste, its safe to assume. Im glad you like the pictures and hope the story will keep you entertained as well!

your_adress_here: Thanks! That griddy area will potentially become the central business district of Southport (atleast according to the city planners and the Southport Council).

mattb325:
I remember I had seen beaches like that (I forget where), and the idea crossed my mind to implement that in SC4. Its worked out well. Thank you for the comment.

kwakelaar: As Southport expands, the downtown area will be reconstructed as well, with taller buildings and more parks. I dont like destroying and rebuilding much, however; I make nearly every building constructed HISTORIC, attempting to keep the construction of cities as real as possible. Thanks for stopping by!

derek_pearce

great city love the photoshoping.
Signature comming soon

dedgren

Heh- by afternoon and night the lagoon is a peaceful, beautiful place.  Sunset, though...

That's apparently when the tide from the rendering plant up the coast rolls in, full of noisome scum and that "at your own risk" sheen on the water.

Or maybe I just need to adjust the gamma on my 'puter.

Anyway, Levante...

...lookin' good!
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

nedalezz

To further bring the island of Levante closer to you, the Southport Council has decided to introduce some of our largest companies.

Fastrack Logistics

Established: Year of '06
Owner: The Delles family
Net Worth: $12.9 million

Feeding on the demand of smaller companies to import/export goods from and into Levante, the Delles family established the company as means for them to do so. With most smaller enterprises in Southport not being able to fill the minimum quantity of a 20 foot container to ship by sea, and with no airport constructed on the island, Fastrack Logistics became the solution for them to do so.

As Industry Park expanded, so did the size of the businesses in the area, and so did the capabilities they had. In the Year of '10, Fastrack Logistics introduced 2 new departments to the company: Fastrack Storage Facilitator and Fastrack Custom Clearing. Constructing and buying several warehouses around the Tallehton Seaport, Fastrack Logistics began renting them out on daily, weekly, and monthly basis. As for the 2nd department, after the Southport Council set up its official Customs Office at the seaport, agents became necessary to clear imported goods.

Fastrack Logistics is currently Levante's 2nd largest company, and the most profitable private company on the island. Its Logistics Center is state-of-the-art, located in southern Industry Park, and the company handles almost 70% of all cargo coming in or heading out of Southport. It plans to keep up with Southport's unprecedented growth by acquiring a further 25 trucks in upcoming year ('13).   

Fuller Shoe Company

Established: Year of '03
Owner: James Fuller (est. worth: $13 million)
Net Worth: $6.4 million

One of the first companies to establish its HQ in Levante, and constructed the very first factory in Industry Park, costing $3 million at the time. Brought in by the promise of no taxes on imports and exports, Fuller was one of the most vocal voices behind those who demanded a seaport, which was finally constructed in the Year of '06.

The Fuller Shoe Company is nearly exclusively an export-wholesale company, and is reported to have shipped 340 containers (approx. $17 million) last year, mostly to the Latin and Central American markets. The company also reported a final profit of $3.1 million, eclipsing its previous number of $2.5 million, set in the Year of '09. It accommodated around $540,000 of goods to the local market this year.

James Fuller has stated that he has no intention of currently expanding the company, but has hinted at upgrading his current machinery. The company currently owns only the factory it constructed in '03.

Garrison Textile Ltd.

Owner: The Garrison family
Net Worth: $4.8 million

Established by the head of the family due to its proximity to the Latin American market, Garrison Textile Ltd. was responsible for constructing the 2nd factory built in Industry Park and Levante, in the Year of '03. Along with James Fuller, the Garrisons passionately lobbied for the construction of the Tallehton Seaport, which has since expanded their business considerably.

Relying 100% on the export market for its sales and profit, Garrison Textiles shipped 188 containers (approx. $12.22 million) this year, almost exclusively to Panama, Venezuela, Colombia, and Mexico. They have reported a total profit of $2.8 million, with most of their sales being the fabric known as "Minimat", made up of polyester.

Currently, the company's sole possession is the factory in Industry Park. No plans for any expansions have been planned by Garrison Textiles Ltd.

GooberGen Pharmaceutical

Owner: GooberGen Group
Net Worth: $5.2 million

Originally founded as a partnership between N.Kafra and some college buddies of his, the enterprise was sold in late '06 to the GooberGen Group, which encompasses 3 of the original owners. Despite its importance to the health of Levante, during its first few years of operation, GooberGen Pharmaceuticals lost money by the bundle. The key reasons for that were simple: small local market and no foreign clients.

As Southport grows, so does the money GooberGen Pharmaceuticals sees, with the demand for medicine increasing. With 3 medical clinics now operating in the city, the company has seen its local demand more than triple, but it remains weak in the export sector despite some revolutionary new drugs. Instead of losing money, it now manages to turn a profit, albeit a small one. It currently owns GooberGen Labs and its nearby storage facility to the east of downtown, north of Tanvelle Shores.

Hardun Industries

Established: Year of '08
Owner: The Hardun Group
Net Worth: $22.4 million

As Southport began experiencing a spike in growth during the late '00s, the demand for more power and electricity became painfully clear. The small power plant situated in eastern Industry Park couldn't handle the load, and the Southport Council didn't have it in their budget to construct a larger facility. Seeking a private company, it was Hardun Industries that won the bid.

The Hardun Coal Power Plant was opened in the Year of '08 in Industry Park, and has since provided electricity for the entire Southport metropolitan area. The agreement between the SC and Hardun Industries stated that 25% of all earnings made by the plant would go directly to the Levante budget, with the company keeping the rest of the money. Upon completion, the Hardun Power Plant had cost approx. $18 million.

The company was approached in early '12 by the Southport Council about discussing the possibility of constructing a second, albeit smaller, power plant in anticipation of future demands. Negotiations are still taking place, with the rumor being spoken that the location will be across the river to the city's east.

Icon Real Estate

Established: Year of '08
Owner: Birsen Dronn (est. worth: $11.4 million)
Net Worth: $6.2 million

With the population growing at an extra-ordinary rate in the mid to late '00s, construction and development was also in a boom on the island. All projects, however, were given to companies overseas, as none existed in Southport. Mr. Dronn established the first ever registered real estate development company in Levante.

The first project of Icon Real Estate was an overwhelming success. Having bought land on the developing Whitestone Road in eastern Southport, the company constructed an 8 story condominium building called Summerfield Apartments, the first of its kind in Southport. They have just completed their 2nd project, Lakeside Villas, situated in the Twin Lakes area of northern Southport, a residential complex built around the Jullen Lake.

With the Lakeside Villas nearly sold out and Summerfield Apartments completely sold out, Icon Real Estate has had some smashing success. The company is currently planning to construct a 2nd apartment building near the Lakeside Villas complex, but nothing has been constructed yet.

Perkins Furniture Ltd.

Established: Year of '07
Owner: Josh Perkins (est. worth: $7.3 million)
Net Worth: $5.1 million

Experts concluded that Levantian lumber was amongst the finest to be found in the entire world in '05, which spurred Josh Perkins to open up his own furniture factory in Industry Park. To add to that, it was also concluded that cattle raised in Levante tended to have leather that could be made into high grade commercial leather.

After an initial invest of $2 million, Perkins Furniture began exhibiting their goods in different furniture trade fairs all around the world, resulting in interest as well as orders. In '12, Perkins Furniture shipped 722 containers (approx. $10.83 million), mostly to the Central American market, although they send nearly 50 containers to the US and Canada. It recorded a profit of $2.7 million, a number it expects to increase.

Perkins Furniture recently acquired land close to the Twin Lakes area which it plans on converting into a retail outlet for the factory. It hopes to sell atleast $100,000 a month, with potential to sell as much as $250,000 a month. The new showroom they have planned will be just under 2,000 sq. meters in size.

dedgren

Excellent!  Posts like your last really bring a city to life.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

sebes

Great pictures. Your industrial areas are very beuatifull. You make me yealous!  &apls
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

rw0381c

Awesome company profiles nedalezz! dedgren is right, it really does bring your city to life. Mind you, it has had life from day one. Your style is a very descriptive one, and that's what makes your posts so appealing!

R

goin2chicago

great job, i really like your pictures and the overall layout of the area is nice. good choice of bats and good placement. can't wait to see more!

bat

Wonderful pictures! Fantastic update and great work :thumbsup:

petercintn

Keep up the good work.  I love the reflections off the water.  And the detailed history.  How could I not follow this diary?
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

nedalezz

The Year of '13

The State of Levante: What Happens Now?

Written by Bradley Yunos (Freelance Writer)

It's been twelve years since the island of Levante was passed down to N.Kafra through family heritage, twelve years since the Levantian Declaration of Independence.  Twelve years since the arrival of the first wave of immigrants, myself included, began arriving on the shores of Southport. A lot has happened since, and a lot is yet to happen. We stand at crossroads, having overcome several hardships and obstacles as a newly founded country, but still looking at a barrage of new, potentially bigger ones that have yet to arrive.

Our trust and our power have been handed over to the Southport Council, a delegation made up of 12 members who oversee our everyday lives and attempt to make it better. At least, that was N.Kafra's plan. Already, we have seen two members of the SC fired by our immortal President for Life because of corruption charges, mainly regarding the Telfair Transportation scandal. For anyone reading this article outside of Levante, allow this writer to quickly recap what happened.

Telfair Transportation is a company registered in Levante, and with permission of the SC, has become a private public transportation company in Southport. In fact, it is the only mode of public transportation the residents of the city have, which is ironic considering it is actually a private enterprise. Instead of the SC managing to cough up some Levantian dollars to buy a few buses and actually reap benefits of what should be a publicly owned public transportation company, they decided the alternative was the easier and wiser route. It turned out, however, that the planning was far more sinister than that.

It turned out that our dear SC delegates were smarter than to let government money actually go to the government. They were instead earning commission on the side from Telfair Transportation as a gift from the company for giving them exclusive right to operate "public" transportation in the city. Their plot was inevitably unraveled, but the trust in the SC was dented, and dented significantly. Telfair Transportation, incase of any confusion, continues to operate normally today, but have been stripped of their "exclusive right" of operation.

Just recently, almost $1 million which were put aside to finish the off the Tuscon Bridge, which, of course, did not end up happening, while the money slowly vanished.  It's a shame that 12 years after the formation of the state of Levante, N.Kafra still has to reach into his pocket to make up for the incompetence and thievery of the SC.

Has the Southport Council been a complete failure? In retrospect, the answer would be a no.  They have managed to put together a few projects that have actually aided the people of Southport. Almost every district has some kind of medical facility, and we currently have 3 elementary schools and 2 high schools serving our 80,000 population. The Tallehton Seaport continues to function efficiently, and the new customs system they have installed has eased pressure from all sides. 

That is not to say, however, that the SC has been a success, because it has not. The word "aristocratic" remains the most used word to describe the council, and it is well known you can get anything done in the city if you have the right "connections". Icon Real Estate bought land around Jullen Lake, a beautiful landmark of Southport, and developed grand houses around it, calling it 'Lakeside Villas'. How they got the license to buy the land around the lake isn't too much of a mystery; put a few dollars in a few people's pockets, and you got yourself what you want. Development remains unplanned; take for example the housing estates alongside Riverlane Road. Who commissioned those? Who allowed those to go up?

The Southport Council has become the lifeblood of the city, but it is, thus far, operating but infected blood in dire need of some cleansing. The future of Levante is very promising; Southport is slowly becoming a transit point in the Pacific between East and West. It may be a very minor transit point, but one that is growing at incredible pace. Experts have suggested that Southport will hit 150,000 before the end of Year '20, and have proclaimed that the Levantian economy will triple its might in less than 5 years. The free zone laws and "no questions" banking system N.Kafra put in place has attracted businessmen from all over the world, with the banking sector uncommonly big in Southport for a city of its size. All point in a positive direction, a direction Levante remains on despite the obstacles that we face.

The main issue remains a lack of an airport; the SC has repeatedly declared it doesn't have the means of constructing such a large project, and private companies have not, as of yet, come up with any decent proposals. It has been rumored that N.Kafra might dip into his personal coffers again to support the idea. If an airport is constructed, the growth potential of Levante could double. One can only wish. Till next time, stay safe, stay cool, stay Levantian.

The Tuscon Bridge, finally completed, situated north-east of Southport.

Housing estates on Riverside Road, subject of much controversy.

The Riverlane Train Station, constructed at the end of '12.

The commercial area in the Riverlane district.

Vertown, a blue-collar neighborhood in east Southport.

Alek King of SC4

that last pic is a true classic, very nice work.

rw0381c

Awesome update! The SC's corruption, the Tuscon Bridge finally completed, the real reason those Lakeside Villas were allowed! Beautiful storyline!

You use the sharpen filter on most of your pictures right!? Because, when I play, it doesn't look this good!

R

dedgren

Kudos to B. Yunos!  That's more great ongoing story detail.  I've really done a 180- a year ago I didn't spend time at CJs (well, MDs did come along later) that were story oriented.  That's certainly changed, and Levante is becoming a really good example of a story CJ that is very well done indeed.

I like the trees in Vertown for no particular reason.  They just seem...right.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

nedalezz

Personal Replies

Alek King: Actually, I had your previous comment about better transition between idustry and residential in mind when I developed that neighborhood. If only there were more transition type lots; they seem to be a rarity. Thanks for the compliment.

rw0381c: Thanks, my friend! You're right, I do use the Sharpen - Horizontal flip trick alot, makes the shots look more realistic. Im glad you're enjoying the storyline, I'll be focusing more on it in the coming updates. I hope you enjoy!

dedgren: Thanks! The Jeronij streetside tree mod is fantastic, it brings an entire neighborhood to life. Its the mod that places the trees in Vertown. I personally enjoy all types of MDs, but I enjoy making a story MD the most. I get into the city, make up little stories, little drama, and give it some character, all in good fun.

Flipside

Nedalezz, very impressive stuff. I don't mind the grid-style either. :)

Btw, is the name of the region inspired by the Middle Eastern area at all?

bat

Great informations and wonderful pictures :thumbsup:

emilin

Very very nice indeed! Both of the updates are really good. Nice blend of Maxis and non Maxis stuff - you have reall managed to bring out the best of the generic stuff and mix it with an excellent choice of custom content. &apls

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Giligone

Great updates! You've really captured the gritty industrial style of development. That last pic there is just so good! :thumbsup: Excellent work. The trees, the sidewalks, the rail line, the BATs. A perfect combination. Keep up the great work!! ;D