• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Trying to get a tunnel working as I want.

Started by DanFraser, August 17, 2007, 12:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ennedi

Thank you all for good opinions, I'm glad this "mini tutorial" is useful  :)

@Pat - thank you, yes I think about putting it to the tutorial section. But I think it will be much more interesting to investigate the more complex theme: "How to make multi - level transit networks". There are more problems here - for example:
- How to put a road right near the tunnel entrance
- How to flatten the terrain around the tunnel entrance effectively and in various situations
- How to make very short tunnels
- How to create various tunnel entrances
- How to solve some problems with walls (especially in the corner at the tunnel entrance - they often look ugly)
- How to make soft slopes without angles along roads and other networks
- How to terraform the terrain right near the transit network without demolishing it
- How to work with various slope mods (I would like to compare them)
And some more...

I have also some ideas about connecting old and new possibilities - for example ingame tunnels and Big Dig  ;)

I think  the first thing to do would be to make a project - it's goal would be collecting these problems and their solutions. Most of these problems are solved yet (it can be seen in various MD's  :thumbsup:) and my skills are not as good as many players, so I will need help. After collecting everything we can do a complex guide  :D

And @DanFraser - you asked about "these walls on slope" and I'm afraid I didn't understand you... Read this thread and you will find there links to the Buddybud Sunken Highway walls Set  :)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

DanFraser

Never mind about the highway walls q, found it :)

Anyway, the water is still not flattening for me.  It partially works for the avenue guide, but highways, not in the slightest.

RippleJet

Quote from: Ennedi on August 18, 2007, 04:45:01 AM
Thank you all for good opinions, I'm glad this "mini tutorial" is useful  :)

@Pat - thank you, yes I think about putting it to the tutorial section. But I think it will be much more interesting to investigate the more complex theme: "How to make multi - level transit networks". There are more problems here - for example:
- How to put a road right near the tunnel entrance
- How to flatten the terrain around the tunnel entrance effectively and in various situations
- How to make very short tunnels
- How to create various tunnel entrances
- How to solve some problems with walls (especially in the corner at the tunnel entrance - they often look ugly)
- How to make soft slopes without angles along roads and other networks
- How to terraform the terrain right near the transit network without demolishing it
- How to work with various slope mods (I would like to compare them)
And some more...

I have also some ideas about connecting old and new possibilities - for example ingame tunnels and Big Dig  ;)

I think  the first thing to do would be to make a project - it's goal would be collecting these problems and their solutions. Most of these problems are solved yet (it can be seen in various MD's  :thumbsup:) and my skills are not as good as many players, so I will need help. After collecting everything we can do a complex guide  :D

Ennedi, this is a very useful (not just "mini") tutorial. And it definitely belongs in the tutorial section.
Do you want to rewrite your "Tunneling Tutorial" there or do you want us to move this thread in its entirety?

I once made a comparison of the different slope mods here.
Feel free to use that information for your tutorials! :thumbsup:

Ennedi

@RippleJet, thank you for your kind words!

Quote from: RippleJet on August 18, 2007, 08:39:41 AM
Do you want to rewrite your "Tunneling Tutorial" there or do you want us to move this thread in its entirety?

I decided I should rewrite it - I would like to put together more "Transit network engineering" themes. So I opened a new topic
here look at it. I think the tutorial will be more clear and complete if I will make it this way.

QuoteI once made a comparison of the different slope mods here.

Yes I was looking at it a while ago - it's very good  :thumbsup:

QuoteFeel free to use that information for your tutorials!

Thank you very much, it will be a great addition!
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

DanFraser

Thanks for all the help Ennedi.  However, I am still unable to flatten properly with the highway tunnel entrance.  Zooming in, I can see I am painfully close to being flat, but not enough to lay road right next to the tunnel entrance.

At this point, I'm going to ask what, if any mods you have installed aside from NAM?