• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

AC Functional, Upgradeable Airports, Support Thread

Started by RippleJet, May 17, 2008, 10:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iw_shawn

If I don't want to use the package loading center or the BSC seaports is it ok to delete the seaports folder (My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\X-Ports\Seaports)

RippleJet

JeffCoyote

hi ,

I have a bug crash to desktop , called a "CTD" since i have download recently 3 days ago SWAP SimWings Airport Pack v22 (v2.3) on Simtropolis STEX , which is still online and downloadable ( is it normal ? ) ...

I 'm not sure if I post at the right place for this , then I have moved my request here on Functional Custom Airport, Support File and CTD's and don't want to double-post ...

but please , help me ...

b22rian

Tage...

i think im having an issue  with my airport.
i started out with the a/c grass strip air field..
it seemed to upgrade fine once i got to stage 4..
but now the usage is only about 8 K
the capacity of stage 4 is about 130 K.
this is for a city of 770 K with 100 % airport funding..
Any idea what might be wrong here ?

thanks, brian

RippleJet

Quote from: b22rian on September 25, 2010, 04:26:32 AM
i think im having an issue  with my airport.
i started out with the a/c grass strip air field..
it seemed to upgrade fine once i got to stage 4..
but now the usage is only about 8 K
the capacity of stage 4 is about 130 K.
this is for a city of 770 K with 100 % airport funding..
Any idea what might be wrong here ?

The first thing to check would be to see that all commercial buildings have road access to the airport.
Only those that do, are counted as passengers in the airports.

If that would not be the case, then I cannot really think of anything else,
but letting the simulator run for a while and see if the airport usage picks up.
Sometimes after an upgrade I've seen that the usage doesn't pick up until a few months later...

b22rian

Quote from: RippleJet on September 26, 2010, 02:45:51 PM
The first thing to check would be to see that all commercial buildings have road access to the airport.
Only those that do, are counted as passengers in the airports.

If that would not be the case, then I cannot really think of anything else,

Well, since i decided to build a totally road-less CBD in this city.
I would say you explained this very well Tage  :thumbsup:

thanks so much for your speedy reply as always.

brian

alexcheetah

I know this will sound like a noob question, but is it possible to create one giant regional international airport and maybe have just small municipal airports for some or all the cities? Sort of like most cities with pearson Int'l airport in Toronto and O'Hare in Chicago?

Korot

Short answer: No, you can't.
Long answer: No, not in a functional matter. The CAP relief provided by the Airport is limited to the city tile it is built in, and thus won't spread to other cities in the region.
Of course, you can still build big eye-candy airports, to pretend such a big regional airport actually exists.
However, you don't have to build big, easy to recognise functional airports in each tile either. That is, you do have to build a functional one, but it won't have to look like one. The current version of the AC functional airports contains some bus stops, also pretending to be an airport, and several airport trams, which would be like a remote parking facility for the airport, providing fast transport to the actual airport. This way, you'll have your CAP relief, without having half of you valuable land being used for an airport.

Regards,
Korot

Labigcheese

My  suttle and bus stops for the airport apper as boxes are there any props for this?

Korot

Yes, there are. My guess is that you need at least SG's Bus Stops [linkie], BSC Textures Vol 1 [linkie], BSC Textures Vol 2 [linkie], and the BSC Esentials [linkie]. But please don't pin me down on this list, as other files might be needed, found in other dependencies. See xxdita's post on the previous page for a more complete list, featuring all dependencies for the AC Functional Airports.

Regards,
Korot

diamonddog_74

Hello, I used the airstrip that upgrades to a better airport, and played the city for a while. I now I have a population of over 100K and good amount of commercial development. Now, The transportation adviser says I should build an airport. But I already have the self-upgrading one, what do I do?

Korot

Ignore the advisor. The upgrading airport should provide you with plenty of CAP relief.

Regards,
Korot

Lowkee33

Unless the airport is running at full capacity.  You may need to place another airport.

The adviser is going to pop up according to an if/then statement.  Here's mine: If your city is running the way you want then you can ignore the advisers.

diamonddog_74

Quote from: Lowkee33 on November 15, 2010, 01:14:37 PM
Unless the airport is running at full capacity.  You may need to place another airport.

The adviser is going to pop up according to an if/then statement.  Here's mine: If your city is running the way you want then you can ignore the advisers.

Here's a screen shot of what I'm talking about:

I let the game run for a few game months because I read in an earlier post that there's a lag between the time the airport upgrades and the game catches up to notice it, but the stats in the query dialog (not pictured) still read:

AC Local Airport
Growth Stage: 4
Max capacity: 108,200
Capacity used: 0

As you can see, it's linked to the road, bus and GLR network, and my RCI demands are high. So I don't get why the game doesn't "see" it. It got to Stage 4, though.

Korot

I have the same problem sometimes as well, and do not know the cause, sadly. However, I have the suspicion that exiting to the region (you may save the game, if you want, ergo: there's no reason not to save), and coming back solves the issue (for a while). At least there is no reason to worry: mine upgraded safely to stage 5, also having this issue at stage 4, and still sometimes at stage 5, though, as said, coming back another time, and there is some capacity being used. I would however not be surprised if this 'resetting' also causes the dialogue box, asking you to build an airport.

So in short: there's nothing to worry about, the game will get over it, and the game is behaving normal. If this behaviour is wanted is another question though.

Regards,
Korot

diamonddog_74

I let the game run while I made some adjustments to the road, and public transit network.

In any case, eventually, I did get some numbers in the "Capacity used" field. This was after I demolished my GLR/subway system because hardly anyone was using it.

BTW, I'm using CAM, but from what I've read in those threads, CAM doesn't affect airports really. This is the first region and city that I use CAM, and these airports on. My city of 110,000 Sims now relies on walking, buses, and cars to get around (in that order, according to the Traffic Volume graph). I'm just getting used to working with CAM and its path finding plug-in.

I don't know if it self-corrected as you suggest, or if indeed, CAM's "Promote walking" plug-in may affect access to these functional, self-upgrading airports.

Lowkee33

Airports are like seaports, but for commercial offices.  Residential sims don't use them like mass transit.

Korot

(Functional) Airports aren't affected by the traffic simulator. The only part where the traffic simulator might come into play is the part in which an airport also offers jobs (check-in ladies, airport traffic controllers, etc.), and a path has to be calculated for the employees, but that's all. This is also why you don't see much traffic coming to the airport, there aren't that much employees. Unrealistic? Perhaps, but it's how the game works. A cosmetic solution could be changing the airport into an automata generator, but this traffic would not be counted by the traffic generator, and thus would not show up in any graph.

However, on a somewhat unrelated note, I notice that you the traffic simulator, that comes with the CAM. I would advise you to uninstall this simulator ASAP, and instead use one of the simulators that come with the NAM. The ones that come with the CAM have some bugs that are taken care of in the NAM version.

Regards,
Korot

diamonddog_74

Quote from: Korot on November 16, 2010, 08:20:59 AM
However, on a somewhat unrelated note, I notice that you the traffic simulator, that comes with the CAM. I would advise you to uninstall this simulator ASAP, and instead use one of the simulators that come with the NAM. The ones that come with the CAM have some bugs that are taken care of in the NAM version.

Regards,
Korot

Thanks for this tip. While it's nice that the Sims like walking more than taking their vehicles with the CAM traffic simulator, it totally kills my point of providing public trans. I pulled the z_CAM folder (which contains CAM's traffic simulator) out of my Plugins folder, and I'll let the game use what I had already installed with NAM (Medium). Even though I expect my city to get quite big, I think it'll suffice. AFAIK, I have the latest NAM, unless they sneaked up an update when I wasn't looking.

@Lowkee33: Yes, and I really hate that! But what do you want from a game made by a company from California, where everyone drives? They really think that public transportation is only for poor people there. The game really reflects this cultural bias.

I, on the other hand, try to do anything I can to get them off the roads.