• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Transit Retexturing Project - Development

Started by deathtopumpkins, October 17, 2008, 04:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Welcome to the Transit Retexturing Project (TRP)!

Originally begun under DTP Productions, the Transit Retexturing Project is now being worked on under SCRT, by me, (DTP) and un1, with road textures contributed by Heblem.

The TRP is a mod that cosmetically changes the textures of most transit networks, adding a yellow line to the left side and modifying some intersection textures to make them more prototypically accurate. The first phase of the project covers avenues, and is almost halfway completed. The second phase will cover highways, and is just being started, and then later phases will cover roads, one-way roads, etc. The mod should be NAM-patible, though initially will not modify NAM textures. A second release will cover those.

Phase I (Avenues) examples:
TO
TO
Those basically sum up the changes made to avenues, as due to the limitations of how the game mirrors instead of rotating tiles at intersections, I cannot change most of their textures... Trust me, I've tried...  $%Grinno$%
The only thing added to most is a yellow line along the left curb.

With permission from Maarten (mrtnrln), I'm also in the process of modifying his HRS textures to add a yellow line to them, as well as shorten the lines between lanes a bit, by request of Haljackey. Phase II is still in its infancy, however, so there is not much to show.

Phase II (FHW) examples:
Here's the orthogonal FHW texture, with shoulder. I'm going to try to make a version without as well. Any comments on the line spacing?

Phase III is also in its infancy at this point, and nothing can be shown at this time, but un1, and LBT member Heblem, are working on Roads.

There is NO expected release date for any phase of this mod, and so taking up the favorite NAM team quote, it will be done when it's done.

This thread is for feedback and suggestions, which are highly encouraged!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

un1

Okay, well I could show you some of the road textures I have been doing...

Well only one, I guess.  :P

-un1

deathtopumpkins

Going Canadian on me...  $%Grinno$%

Concerns addressed in chat, but otherwise  :thumbsup:

EDGE4194

this looks interesting... i really like the avenue textures so far  :thumbsup:
concerning the road textures- any thought of a concrete texture versus the standard asphalt? i don't think I've seen any discussion about new road textures so I am looking forward to following this....

sim-al2

I would love to be able to say "can I help you with this project?" but considering I'm lacking in both modding and texturing/photoshopping skills, I just stay with lotting.  %wrd
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

allan_kuan1992

hey... someone might want to call videosean over from the NAM board.

He's got something very similar going on with the road textures, and that might save you people a lot of time.

- Allan Kuan

deathtopumpkins

EDGE4194: Thanks! Hmmm... We might try that in a later version, as an option, though initially I think we'll stick with asphalt. That got me thinking though... I wonder about the possibility of there being a SAM for Roads? In that case a concrete texture'd be great! I can think of a few other ones that would be good too.
I'll look into concrete textures.

sim-Al2: heh, thanks anyway!  :)

Pat: Thank you!

allan_kuan1992:
Yeah, I've seen his, and that was one reason I wasn't originally planning to do road textures, as we use the same shade of yellow and everything, but un1 wanted to go ahead and do ours anyway. Besides, isn't videosean completely redoing everything about roads? I think we'll just stick with our yellow lines and intersections.

Warrior: That's a good idea... I'll see what I can do. I think it's a problem with how the game displays the textures though, right?

MandelSoft

Hey, it's good to see you around here. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

superhands

it would be nice to see those rail-avenues dressed up a bit so that the concrete is not on the road :D
otherwise looking forward to watching this project develop.

deathtopumpkins

mrtnrln: Thanks.

bighead99: Hmmm... I dint think the concrete crossing was that bad. They use that around here, though I might be able to come up with something else. It'll be kinda difficult though.
Thanks!

nerdly_dood

I recommend brightening the white dashed lines down the avenues, other than that it looks great
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

wes.janson

I am very much looking forward to watching the development of this. So much of my dislike of SC4 has to do with the tranist textures and this is something that will make that dislike factor go down.

Good luck  :thumbsup:

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

un1

Dark_horse_spirit

I've never attempted to bat a road or the ground before. Do you start off with a plain and texture or recolor it in GMAX, if so maybe you could take a picture of it in it's GMAX state and post it for all to see.

DHS

MandelSoft

Modeling??? No, you don't have to model this. It's just a texture replacement, and therefore you can edit the textures in this way:

Quote from: mrtnrln on ST1.  Open the reader.
   2. Open the file with the original texures (or textures from a highway texture mod.
   3. Select the FSH files
   4. Right-click with your mouse and select the option "Save decoded file". The reader should export the an .FSH- and .FSH.TGI-file somewhere in your plugins or in the iLive's Reader directory.
   5. Open the FiSHman.
   6. Open the FSH-file
   7. Delete the original texture (if yes, goto step 9) or save the texture as Windows bitmap.
   8. Edit the texture with a bitmap editor (for example, MSpaint) and after that, goto step 7 again.
   9. Import the bitmap file into the FiSHman. Click "Save as" (IMPORTANT!) and save the FSH file.
  10. Import the file in the reader.
  11. Tadaa! There you have it!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Dark_horse_spirit

Thanks for the turorial, I probably won't try this for a while as I have other projects that I am working on. I do look foreward to seeing your finished work.

DHS

metarvo

This seems like a worthwhile project, and it's all good so far.  :thumbsup:  I always wondered what kind of remodeling the SCRT would do.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

deathtopumpkins

Well after some discussion with haljackey in chat, I've got an updated orthogonal texture for FHW:

The line spacing is based off of photos of the 401 in Ontario.
The final version should be available with or without the shoulder, if I can manage it.

metarvo: Thank you.