• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Slow Forums?

Started by neongamer, October 18, 2008, 03:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neongamer

Over the day I have noticed that the forums have been very slow/ non-existant. I understand this could be due to peak time browsing, but it continually happens over the day to the point where it slows down other programs I have running.

Does anyone else have these issues or do I need to check my Internet connection?

P.S. Just a suggestion, in the box where it says
QuoteShow unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Total time logged in: 1 hours and 12 minutes.
I think it could also include
QuoteYou have [[NUMBER]] new messages
otherwise we may miss something important.

JoeST

it should alert you when you get new messages...

and the forum goes "down" whenever jeroni tinkers with the database/site, IE while he is sprucing up the front page, and whlist he is improving the forum software ;)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Diggis

Also, about an inch below where is says time logged in, in the red bar, it tells you how many new messages you have.

neongamer

It does O.O sorry, my bad, I didn't notice it when Tarkus PMmed me  %confuso

dragonshardz

So yesterday's complete site outage (IE forums + LEX) was jeronij's fault because he was tinkering?

Jonathan

Yesterday's outage seemed different, It came up with a DNS error, rather than the usual Joomla/SMF error.
And at least one other person I know could get here while I couldn't?

Jonathan

Andreas

As far as I know, the server was misconfigured somehow, and the hosting technicians weren't able to find the error in the first place. After jeronij contacted them, they were able to fix the issue, though. There are still some slight problems that cause the occasional slowdown, but it's hard to track them down. Hopefully, the'll get resolved eventually. :)
Andreas

Tarkus

Quote from: dragonshardz on October 23, 2008, 09:27:59 AM
So yesterday's complete site outage (IE forums + LEX) was jeronij's fault because he was tinkering?

I'm not sure you should necessarily be trying to assign blame to anyone. 

There's been some issues with the server, out of jeronij's control.  He's been trying quite valiantly to try to improve site performance as best he can.  :)

-Alex

callagrafx

Quote from: Tarkus on October 23, 2008, 11:31:30 AM
There's been some issues with the server, out of jeronij's control.

Not just out of his control, but also on another continent in a room where the only access allowed is maintenance staff  ::)  "Tinkering" with a website on a dedicated server does not cause DNS outages....for this to happen the blade has to fail and it more than likely did after a scheduled maintenance reboot cycle.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

dragonshardz

I was not blaming anyone, I thought that the site had gone down because jeronij wanted to tinker and sites usually get taken down for maitenance. I had no idea that it was a DNS error, all I ever saw was a 404 error.

Servers going down, on the other hand, can't possibly be jeronij's fault  ;D Note that I am not being angry as I write this.

~~Dragonshardz~~