• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Windows 7

Started by frdrcklim, January 18, 2009, 01:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sithlrd98

This was the first thing that poped up when I Googled install win 7 from virtual drive http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/1755-installing-windows-7-virtual-drive.html

Jayson

WC_EEND

looks like it's possible, let's try it

EDIT: looks like I'll need to reinstall ALL my games if I want to install windows 7, other option is upgrade which I don't want do

EDIT2: finally decided to have a go at it, my laptop is installing as we speak

EDIT3: Windows 7 has apperantly decided to annoy me by not allowing me to choose my screen's native resolution of 1920x1080, furthermore I don't think it recognises my GPU
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

sithlrd98

Here is a link to Nvidia with the Win7 drivers for your card...http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_win7_x64_186.03_whql.html

Jayson

WC_EEND

thanks Jayson, however a reboot after installing alot of updates solved the problem, so now it's working the way it should
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Jonathan

Sorry i didn't understand your question, but it looks like Jayson got it  :)

I'm not sure if this is related to Windows 7, but I'll post here just incase. I get this strange blue line that appears above the the system tray. It's just one pixel high, and if I click on it other windows lose focus and the on pressing Alt-F4 it dissapears, but took screenshot of process list in task manager before and after pressing Alt-F4, comapred them and the lists were identical, so nothing had closed.

Jonathan

sithlrd98

Does it appear on start-up? The only graphical issue I have is when I have multiple instances of reader open and scroll between them using aero peak  , it causes my graphics driver to crash if I do it too fast or too many times , but since 7 works so well it quickly recovers.

Jayson

Jonathan

It just appears there randomaly, some times there are more than one on top of each other. I don't think it's a graphic glitch because when I hit Alt-F4 it closes.

Jonathan

sithlrd98

Very odd! So , when you collapse/hide the taskbar , nothing is there?

Jayson

sithlrd98

Not trying to double , but remeber the "my documents" move thing...well , I am having to restore my default location since windows cant find it since I restarted today.Odd!

Jayson

Jonathan

Quote from: BarbyW on July 25, 2009, 02:29:24 PM
I followed the instructions to move it to D:\My Documents which is a separate data drive and it moved and worked first time.

Dragging this up a bit. I realized this while ago but never got to posting it. You say it doesn't like U's in the path but "D:\My Documents" ? Does that mean it's only captal U's somehow? because if you renamed the Users folder to users, Mapper (or was it terraformer?) might work and other programs and windows which aren't really bothered about capitalization wouldn't mind. This would save the whole moving documents thing.

Also I was trying out Windows Home Server (based on XP which going to that after 7 is horrible :) ) and I could add the shared folders on that to my library, so it's possible to add folders on the network to a windows 7 library. Just got to find out why it let the shared folder on WHS but not the one on a Vista PC.

EDIT:Not Windows 7 but still Microsoft, apparently MS can't sell/import into the US any version of Office(I guess that also includes Office 2010) that can open custom XML files, (so the new .docx format) because of some law suit from a company called I4i (never even heard of them, google came up with something to do with the NHS) (Story here) MS were under pressure to go to these new formats because they were under pressure to open up their formats(here) So it seems MS can't win.

Jonathan

Jonathan

Shadow Assassin

Dragging this up a bit. I realized this while ago but never got to posting it. You say it doesn't like U's in the path but "D:\My Documents" ? Does that mean it's only captal U's somehow? because if you renamed the Users folder to users, Mapper (or was it terraformer?) might work and other programs and windows which aren't really bothered about capitalization wouldn't mind. This would save the whole moving documents thing.

Terraformer and Mapper don't like it when the following comes up in the file name:

/n
/u
/t

as they are used in command prompt to achieve certain things. That's why "My Documents" works and "Users" doesn't.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Jack JumperSH

i have the Windows 7 Full OEM RTM what will never expire, only prob sc4 won't fill screen on sc4 there is black spaces for too small res

simmaster07

Quote from: Jack JumperSH on August 20, 2009, 11:40:34 AM
i have the Windows 7 Full OEM RTM what will never expire, only prob sc4 won't fill screen on sc4 there is black spaces for too small res

Here is my question to you: How do you have an OEM RTM version of Windows 7 when the Release To Manufacturing isn't a public release, you aren't an OEM and it's not the release date?
%ban%

Jack JumperSH

simmaster07

Thank you for that lovely picture, but what good is it if it's illegal? :thumbsdown:

Jack JumperSH

no, i have technet plus

simmaster07

That explains so much. ::)
If you will excuse me, I will go hit myself because I know I'll get my karma lowered for this

Anyways, does the RTM have XP Mode, and if so how is it?

Jack JumperSH

you can download it off of the virtual desktop MSoft Site but u gotta have virtual desktop capability, there is a check on the site

oh and on technet i can download any version of MS office 2001+ and any version of XP and newer and get 10 free product keys

simmaster07

CPU virtualization? Awww. That, I do not have, my friend. I might get Windows 7 when it comes out (if not, later), but I like Linux. Oh if only I had Crossover, I heard it's smoother than WINE alone.

Jack JumperSH

get a new video card to fix it