• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Game update

Started by Jonathan, April 10, 2009, 02:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sithlrd98

The cracked .exe is the reason for not being able to get the patch applied.

Jayson

Jonathan

I have one at the moment, because I'm under the impression it is legal if I own solid 2 CDs of the game, whereas if it is actually illegal I'll remove it and mount the CD image which is more work but I know is legal.

Jonathan

heitomat

Feeling a little stupid, I still have to ask:
I figured it was time for a check-up on the official SC4 site to see if there was a new update (killing some time..  ;)). I started the automatic updater, and the result was this:

We have detected version 1.1.640.0 on your computer.
The most current update for your game is version 1.1.638.0.

(I have the European version, Norwegian language.)

Why would EA suggest a seemingly outdated version instead of telling me that I am currently using the latest version? Of course I did not proceed. Smart move, right..?

I'm feeling terribly stupid, but I just wanted to ask the Gods here at SC4D what this is all about..  ::)

PS! I guess there will be no more official updates from EA?
Be gentle with me - I'm Norwegian

Andreas

I think the automatic updater hasn't been updated by EA since version 1.1.638.0, that's why it presents it as the newest. Most likely, it checks the version that is currently installed, and suggests the update for anything that is not 1.1.638.0 (which was the newest, so every other version was an older one back then). With the release of the BAT, EA pretty much gave up the genre and handed the keys over to the custom content developers, and since then, the official site wasn't updated any longer, apart from some small bugfixes for the BAT.
Andreas

heitomat

@Andreas: Thank you for your fast and (as always) understandable answer.

After reading your answer, the whole thing is actually pretty logic..
Be gentle with me - I'm Norwegian

Diggis

Quote from: Jonathan on May 04, 2009, 04:24:17 AM
I have one at the moment, because I'm under the impression it is legal if I own solid 2 CDs of the game, whereas if it is actually illegal I'll remove it and mount the CD image which is more work but I know is legal.

Jonathan

Jon,

you'd be best to mount an image of the CD as thats the reason the BAT update isn't working.  the cracked EXE's available are for the non-patched version and don't display night lighting.