• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Seraf's Atelier

Started by seraf, June 08, 2009, 04:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girafe

good job Seraf  &apls &apls

be careful for your flags, they have to be in the same direction  :P
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

DCMetro2834

Great job, I really am liking your latest BATs.  :thumbsup:

CabraBuitre

Quote from: seraf on April 04, 2011, 02:58:30 PM
Ok, here we have render of Agriculture Building from Columbian Exposition. It's only half of the building because I must divide model into two parts. The model is finished but I'm still experimenting with textures to make them better.
For that while I changed color of elevation (I forgot to also changed the texture od bigger columns and pilasters), I think the color of glass on the roof is good but I need to change texture of non-transparent parts of the roof ... any sugestions?  ;D

I looked through the several dozen pics I have of the exposition... but because airplanes weren't invented for another 22 years, there aren't any areal shots of the grounds.

That said, there are lots of pics/drawings from a high vantage point... and I was hoping to find one that might help.

Unfortunately, most of these have a vantage point looking east or west... or north, not south, which is where the Ag building was!

Even the picture maps that I have used artistic liberties... your representation is much more accurate, especially in terms of the roof!

This is the best I could come up with.... it's looking SW from the Manufacturer's building.

This rendering from the UCLA project is probably hardly helpful...

Might be the most roof here... but really hard to see.

I'll keep looking and see if I can get anything better.

This copy looks a little better.

And UCLA's "take" on this same vantage point:

Check out Abelfarei!

kapete

&apls

Wow I really love your creations. They are really amazing!

Shark7

antn

WOW! That Agriculture Building is truly massive, can't wait to see it fully textured. For the roof, maybe copper for the metal parts? For the other parts, to me it looks like you just need to break up the tiling a bit. I've got a question for you, do you use Max for the modeling of all statues and such or do you use some other program? Sculptris is a quite nifty tool if you happen to think that such modelling might be a bit tedious in Max and it's free.
Keep up the good work!

seraf

Girafe - Thank you :) Yeah I remember about the flags, I forgot about them once and it cost me one bad (useless) export ;D

DCMetro2834 - Thank you ^^

CabraBuitre - Thank you for all those pics. I did quite big reserach on Agriculture roof when I was making it, probably it would be easier if I could go to CHS or AIC and take a look on the original plans. Thank you once again :)

kapete - Thank you ^^

antn - Thank you and yes, that building is big and probably it was the richest one on the exposition in terms of ornamentation and sculptures (It was the work of McKim, Mead and White after all ;))
Thank you about the roof material clues. Usually I use Poser for the main figure if it's human and after that I make "stuff" like clothes or atributes in max.
Sometimes if the shape is more complicated (coat of arms for example) I sculpt it in ZBrush :) That Sculptris looks like simpler version of ZBrush, I must take a closer look at it :)

This time something for those who are waiting for Farley Post Office, the modeling part is almost done, only few things left.
I'm considering the roof and I think the roof of the original building will be the same as in reality but
I really don't like the one of the annex building, so I made my own version: please let me know what you think.

(click on the image to view full size image)

supremec

It's famous  &apls  &apls, Very good work, I love your BATs  &apls
Click on the banner to see my BATs

Aaron Graham

Looks great, can't wait to download it. &apls
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

DaveN

Magnificient work.  &apls Really really good... as always  :o

peter007

That's a very unique structure. I love it already.

-Ernst

antn

You really do have some great modelling skills, impressive! And you have a thing for Beaux-Arts. About the annex, it looks great this way, and I believe it is true to its architectural style with the symmetry and all, but I believe that this building needs that kind of large interior space which is lost to the second courtyard on this version, it's a post office after all. Those large arch windows looks an awful lot like the ones from Penn station, may that have been the source of inspiration? They look great anyways, have you considered modeling the interior of that part of the building? I think it could look really good at night! One other thing I believe would be great for this building is if the text above the colonnade would be readable, you know "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." I'm not sure if it's possible but it would be cool.

I'm not sure you can get anything out from using sculptris if you're already is using zbrush, but I don't know.

io_bg

Wow! :o This looks almost the same as the old Penn Station that was demolished in the 60s. (see pic below)

Here are a few more pics in case you're interested ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

ortiz75

Hay, Seraf, love your work! :)

Your last creations are outstanding. I especially like the Adelaide gazebo :)

Also, recently I found this picture on ST and I must say I'm dying to know how'd you make that ornamented head of the column. Wish I have such a skills. This is just awesome  &apls

Best regards, Leo.

banditp61

So, I was looking around on the forums, and this is the first time I've ever heard of you and I have to say, this is great stuff! Where can I download these models? They are so great. I love the one of the Supreme Curt and of Grand Central Station.

seraf

supremec - Thank you!

Aaron Graham - Thank you Aaron :)

DaveN - Thank you.

peter007 - Thank you.

antn - Thank you for that words, I try all the time to design my own buildings and it is very important ability to design something that will fit the existing structure.
Yes, Penn Station was my inspiration because it stood just across the avenue from Farley Post Office and I'm going to make Penn Station too. So I wanted to "my own" roof of Farley corresponding with Penn Station's.
But it's not important now because I decided to make actual version of roof after all. Regarding the text above the colonnade; I will make it but I don't know if it will be visible  :)

io_bg - Thank you. Yes, as I wrote to antn, Penn Station was my inspiration ;)

ortiz75 - Thank you, I made the capital mostly by poly-modeling and some modifiers with lines. It really helps when you know how whole capital is constructed in reality :)

banditp61 - Thank you, all my BATs are available on the STEX.

Next update from FPO; as you can see I'm working on textures of the inner court:

Unfortunately I must change the number of the smaller crossbeams... there are too many of them and on smaller zooms they become blurry  &mmm

Girafe

As said on Simtro, the BAT itself is really nice, but these pink textures ruin all the scene,

Edit: I changed of computer and seems that the pb of pink textures disappear  ???
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Aaron Graham

Fix the color of the walls to be a grey ish look, I think.
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

CaptainAmerica

Those old pictures are beautiful. Shame this building is no more. I like how you model, you have a very nice style. Interested in seeing how the final product looks  :thumbsup:

supremec

Very, very, very superb  &apls  &apls Maybe the green roof too much... green  $%Grinno$%
Click on the banner to see my BATs