• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

New way to make a mosaic without Adobe Photoshop?

Started by KoV Liberty, October 18, 2009, 07:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoV Liberty

Is there any possible way to make a mosaic without adobe photoshop? I can't afford it. Thanks.

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

joelyboy911

SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Tarkus

I do it in The GIMP myself.  Pretty much any image editing software that allows for layers should fit the bill.

-Alex

wouanagaine

Try Autostitch
It is free for non commercial usage

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

MandelSoft

You can do it with paint. Just copy-paste the images and make them fit precisely.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

KoV Liberty

Cool. Thanks everyone. I have heard that you can make a certain pic size (for example: 800x1000) and take it directly in game. Is this true? And how do you use paint.net? Is it a website or download?

Adrian, I miss you man.

KoV Liberty

Thanks! But how do I take it in game? Can I assign a special key-combo or something?

Adrian, I miss you man.

joelyboy911

CTRL+SHIFT+S

This key combo will take you to the game snapshot mode. Then you can find the pics in 'Documents/SimCity 4/Albums/*City Name*'.

Good luck.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

wouanagaine

if you don't want png ( the ingame CTRL-SHIFT-S are saved in png ) you can use pic2clip or Gadwin printscreen which is superior

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

joelyboy911

True, but if he's making a mosaic he would be saving it again anyway?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

KoV Liberty

Thanks for the replies everyone. You've all been a big help! :) But how do I open multiple pictures in the program and paste them together?

Adrian, I miss you man.

nerdly_dood

What I do is create a new image, and make it totally huge beyond any use, like 10,240 x 7,680 pixels, Then I paste the sub-images in there so they match up, and then select the part that I want. I cut that, delete everything so it's a blank page, and paste it so there's just the part that I want, with a ginormous white area. Then I use PhotoFiltre's handy "automatic crop" feature which removes dead space, and there you now have your mosaic. Be sure to save when you're done.

Link to PhotoFiltre download page
Photofiltre is a handy, versatile image-editing program that seems much easier to use than Gimp, which frankly seems a bit overwhelming to me, since its all in multiple windows, as well as being hard to navigate. PhotoFiltre is one single window that's not hard at all to navigate. It's particularly handy for very fine work, such as on 256x256 automata skins, where you can easily simulate a curve using several short lines - at this size you can't tell the difference. At normal image sizes, this would be nearly impossible to accomplish while still retaining the appearance of a smooth curve.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

joelyboy911

Nerdly_dood's method is a good one. You can make an enormous image, and use the area away from your mosaic as working space.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

KoV Liberty

Thanks again everyone! But what I am referring to is how to put miltiple images in one in paint.NET. Thanks. Actualy, no prob anymore! With special thanks to Tarkus who mentioned the word, "layers," that caught my eye in the Paint.NET thing and it worked! Also thanks for all of your suggestions to new image editing software! It will greatly enhance my pics for my MD. Thanks everyone!

Adrian, I miss you man.