• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bridge Engineers needed....

Started by jeronij, April 03, 2007, 11:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

Good work so far  :thumbsup:

What I miss in this picture is the center piece. The one with the support. It has to be also 16*16  ;)

Also, you could add some sort of artificial floor to the start/end pieces. Some cement foundations. They can be several meters long to the -z axis of the model. This is not strictly necessary thoug  ;D

I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

threestooges

I wanted to get a bit of feedback (and some suggestions too if possible) regarding what I've done so far. I am attempting to make a lifting bridge similar to the "Steel Bridge" in Portland Oregon (but not trying to recreate it). Also, I have a question regarding LODs that goes beyond what was mentioned in your tutorial:
-As I understand, an LOD is what shows up in the game (correct me if I am wrong). Is it necessary then to make a copy of every piece of the model, just the big parts, or just a single piece?

-Do you have any recommendations for making realistic looks bridge abutments (or do you think a bridge like this necessarily need them)?

Please let me know what you think:

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Okay... So, I looked, I guess my center pieces aren't exactly 16x16, is there a way to change that with out rebuilding them? I think I can do it by scaling them up a little, right? I am not sure so much about end pieces... On what I've got what do you think might look fine? I attempted something, probably not what we're looking for though, well I will let you have a look.

Support

Center

and the current end piece, I think it's going to need some work isn't it? As I look at it, it definitely is, not sure what it needs though... Maybe concrete sloping between the first support, and the ground. I'm thinking I got something that'll work, I just got to try it out, and upload.

jeronij

threestooges , your model is looking nicely detailed so far  :thumbsup:

About the LODs question, you must try to keep them as simple as posible. If you can cover(LOD) your bridge with only one box, dont cover it with two  ;) .However, for the bridge piece you show, you will need some semi-complex LODs...  ::) ( If you have problems, you can send me the models and I can try to LOD them )

S CoD, the repeat (center) pieces must be 16 meters long. Not necesarily 16*16 meters as I stated in my previous post  :-[ . If the support is wider that the bridge deck, it is not a problem  ;)

About the model itself, you are right, it needs something.... after you add the concrete base, you could start working a bit with the wood texture, it looks too uniform. You can also add some details to the deck, like guardrails or protection walls/fences. Also, the wood pieces that form the supports look a bit too "fat"....  $%Grinno$% ....  Especially the center girdes, which are twice widers that the exterior ones  ;)  Just some suggestions  ;)

Godd work everybody, I am glad to see some fresh bridges coming to the reallity   :thumbsup:
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Sir Charles of Dunlap

Alright, I will work on that when I get some time. RL I made the center supports wider than the outside ones with next one in mind, if that makes sense. So that when the two end posts come together they are as thick as the middle ones. Am I making any sense? So change the textures, lengthen the center pieces, add some more detail over all, and make a good end piece, right? I will work on all that as soon as I find some time. I am out of school right for the summer, but we are trying to get our house on the market, so I got some work to do or my parents won't be to happy... lol

jeronij

Dont worry and take your time  ;D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

threestooges

I hate to bother you with something like this, but, since this is my first model I would like to see what a proper LOD looks like (before messing around with one by myself). If you could do the one for the model I showed, I would be happy to finish the other pieces. Just let me know what the best way is to get the file to you, and thank you again for your offer.

Sir Charles of Dunlap

I change the texture and made it darker. I like it, I am content with the way the support looks, I tried some stuff with it, but I like it the way it is. The center piece I still have some work to do, I haven't quite got to it yet. Also the end piece, I worked on it some but I didn't like what I did because it looked bad, so I didn't save it. But I am not giving up on it. I need to go find some inspiration for it.

-Charlie

jeronij

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

threestooges

I know the topic says "engineers needed" but I know you don't need me popping back in every second (he he). I did the whole rendering process and followed the tutorial (I think) exactly, especially the part that said to follow it very carefully. I dl'ed the bridge test zip file and tried putting it in the plugins folder (and also in the exemplars folder after re-reading the last part of your first post) along with the bridge models. For whatever reason, I can't get anything to show up in game. I have the NAM installed and the updated essentials file too. Is there a trick to it that I missed (or something subtle)? Again, sorry to be a pain with all these questions, I hope it's not too irritating. Have a good day.

-edit: I poked around a few threads (fukuda's in particular) and am able to get the Krummbach bridge working and the "test bridge" you included with your tutorial (it shows up as an interesting model with curved supports...and is under the street bridge menu. I can provide a pic if that description was unclear) but cannot get the bridge models I rendered to show.

jeronij

Let me check the test bridge file and how it should be installed  ;)

I`ll tell you something this evening once I finish my work  ::)

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

surdanis

hi, all

jeronij,

great thread, and let me just begin by saying that i love your uploads, and i've enjoyed all of them from the STEX.

anyway, i'm trying to see if i can get my money's worth outta this machine i bought, and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. i can't seem to get the sc4 website to give me access to the BAT so i can dl it, but i believe i can use still other programs to make content for the game, no? if so, what do you recommend? 3d max, right? anyway, i'm a total noob to this stuff, though irl i'm pretty good in the art department with my own hands sans mouse; and with such a bent, you definitely caught my attention with such forward and free invitation to help making bridges. as soon as i saw your Tsing-Ma Bridge, i shouted for joy inside, and knew i'd found a gem. i've been downloading your creations and others on the STEX for ages, and it's high time i learn how to make my own stuff--especially since the next "real simcity" probbly won't be out for years to come.

so, please, i'd like to learn from you whatever i can about making bridges and whatnot to contribute to the community.

cheers!
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

freedo50

Hi Surdanis,

The BAT can be found here: http://simcity.ea.com/coolstuff/bat/index.php you will need all of the fixes and stuff too.
GMax, which is the program that the BAT is an addon for can be found here: http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
Hoping to see another new BATter soon!

Fred

threestooges

Jeronij:
Hope everything is going well for you. I have since made progress on another bridge that I am going to try to make work in place of the other (just in case that will have any effect) and I thought I would show it here to get some feedback if anyone has any to offer. Its final iteration will be a rail bridge and is modelled after the Howe Truss as described Here.

surdanis

sob sob

ea won't send me a the confirmation email to get registered to download the bat! what am i missing?
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

Adept2Rock

It's wonderful but i can't looking fo your creations!!!!I can't see the bridges!!I don't understand!!
Come to visit Sancerre French department with various European archtectural styles!

In French Forum:

http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=284520
In devotion Forum:  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2654.0

jeronij

Quote from: surdanis on June 24, 2007, 08:14:18 PM
sob sob

ea won't send me a the confirmation email to get registered to download the bat! what am i missing?

These files will be soon available at the LEX. In the meantime, you could find them at simcities.com , in the downloads section.
You can also use the 3DStudio Max to create custom content, but you will need the original BAT tool, and the BAT4MAX mod as well.

Quote from: Adept2Rock on June 25, 2007, 01:52:52 PM
It's wonderful but i can't looking fo your creations!!!!I can't see the bridges!!I don't understand!!

What do you exactly mean ?. The NAM bridges?, or the single bridges available in the LEX ?¿ Can you be more specific please ?

Quote from: threestooges on June 24, 2007, 07:11:17 PM
Jeronij:
Hope everything is going well for you. I have since made progress on another bridge that I am going to try to make work in place of the other (just in case that will have any effect) and I thought I would show it here to get some feedback if anyone has any to offer. Its final iteration will be a rail bridge and is modelled after the Howe Truss as described Here.

I am sorry but finally I didn't find the time to check the example bridge mod file... :-[ I will try to do it as soon as possible, but RL is hitting me hard these last weeks  ::)  I will keep you informed  ;D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

threestooges

Don't worry about me. I'll keep myself busy improving the models. With all you seem to have to do (both rl and around here) it's impressive you have time to do it all as it is. If I knew how to do it, I would look through it myself, but don't worry about it. Take your time. Take it easy, and I hope your son (and your family) are doing well.

Sir Charles of Dunlap

This is all I have done lately. It's the end piece. Is that good? It has the new texture I am using on it. Well, I'll be awaiting input.

-Charlie

jeronij

Hello Charlie,

I am not sure about the start/end piece...I mean, I am not sure about how it would look like in some sitatuations in the game...

I think we need a test render from the models, to test them in game before we consider them finished. Please, tell me how many pieces you will need for a render:
start piece 2 tiles long (1 ID)
repeat piece 1 tile long (1 ID)
center piece 1 tile long (1 ID)
three ID... is this OK?

If so, I'll PM you the ID you must use for this one  ;) 

Mallorca My Mayor Diary