• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your Downtowns & CBD's!

Started by Masochist, November 10, 2006, 10:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESTERNOCLEIDOMASTOIDEO

Awesome pictures everyone  &apls  &apls  &apls ;) and by the way here it is a picture from my financial center

Swordmaster

Quote from: ESTERNOCLEIDOMASTOIDEO on October 05, 2011, 11:33:55 AM
Awesome pictures everyone  &apls  &apls  &apls ;) and by the way here it is a picture from my financial center

Now, that's an awesome picture, but it's 5MB big! Please use jpg format!

Terring7

Martian downtown. More in my M.D. :)

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Gurning_Chimp

Here's some pics of Freedom City's Financial District, this was before I got NAM and was a big build (I decided to build a regionwide city) I know for a fact it's not as good as the amazing builds I've seen on this thread!

Evillions8

Haljackey

Downtown Halton, a new city I have been working on

Before:

After:

some people play call of duty, I make stuff :P

mike3775

Quote from: Haljackey on October 15, 2011, 12:18:41 PM
Downtown Halton, a new city I have been working on

Before:

After:

some people play call of duty, I make stuff :P

Nice.  How much bulldozing to get rid of the repetition that tends to occur(which I see very little of in the after pic)?

banditp61

All my downtown areas are called Denver, and have the Denver Republic Plaza in them. This is a new city I've made with a riving flowing through it. On the East bank is the CBD while the West bank (Jefferson) is the residential area with strict building policies on high rises, hence the low lining skyline on the Western half.

Haljackey

Quote from: mike3775 on October 15, 2011, 12:25:10 PM

Nice.  How much bulldozing to get rid of the repetition that tends to occur(which I see very little of in the after pic)?

To be honest a lot of this one was plopped. There was however a lot of demolition. When you see a building you like, you can make it historic so nothing replaces it.

Here's a pic of that downtown area at night:

mike3775

Great job.  Yeah I love the historical aspect big time.  I love watching skyscrapers rise out of nothing, just hate how the game repeats itself over and over. 

magee_b

A quick snapshot of downtown from the current region I am working on.

Some people from the east coast of Canada may be able to pick up on where I drew my inspiration for the road layout. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

dohraymii

Call me Mark

Risu

Quote from: banditp61 on October 15, 2011, 02:57:18 PM
I still wonder which terrain mod you use? I don't recognise that one....

banditp61

To be honest, I really don't remember. I think I found it on the LEX like two years ago. I'll look around for it. It's a great terrain mod.

kody_organmaster

Here is Middletown, A growing large southern suburb of the Greater Hampton Metro.
--Kody

leeam1989

My city that i am working on Manchester!!
by the time ive finished on this it will be a major city, The old city castle sits in themiddle of the city on a hill, where the rest of the city has been built up around the hill, known as Castle Hill.
The area towards the north of the hill is the shopping district, with department stores and deisnger shops.

netmod

mooooooooooooooooo...

MCO1254

I'm not sure that this is the correct thread to showcase this part of my city. This is the central business district of Waldman, an inner-ring suburb of a larger city that I'm creating. In the early 1800s, Waldman was developing as its own city, but as its coastal neighbor grew, it eventually became surrounded by suburbs and became known as one itself.

You can see the older buildings of the downtown area on the upper (eastern) part of the picture. Old brick buildings and warehouses dominated the skyline. The city had originally been a manufacturing hub, but now has a more diverse economy - or at least it's trying to create one. The eastern side of downtown has languished over the last 30 years. Recently though, there has been a resurgence of investment just west of downtown. A new el-rail station was built and surrounded with transit-oriented-development with mixed-uses and a needed influx of new residents.

The second picture provides us with a different view of the older part of downtown Waldman. The railroad tracks still exist, but a lot of the factories from the early 1900s through the `20s are gone. The housing towards the bottom of the picture is all older stock and that neighborhood suffers from a high foreclosure rate and plummeting home values.

This final photo shows us a zoomed in view of the northern side of the older downtown. The five story red brick building on the bottom of the page is an extension center for the state college found ten miles to the north. The university's investment in downtown has stimulated growth. That development and the adjacent apartments are the furthest out of the new transit-oriented-development mentioned with the first picture.

I hope you enjoyed my pictures. Let me know what you think.

mike3775

I really like your mixture of the NAM, NWM, and Single track rail usage throughout the city.  Very well done

Risu

Quote from: MCO1254 on December 03, 2011, 09:33:45 AM
I'm not sure that this is the correct thread to showcase this part of my city. This is the central business district of Waldman, an inner-ring suburb of a larger city that I'm creating. In the early 1800s, Waldman was developing as its own city, but as its coastal neighbor grew, it eventually became surrounded by suburbs and became known as one itself.

You can see the older buildings of the downtown area on the upper (eastern) part of the picture. Old brick buildings and warehouses dominated the skyline. The city had originally been a manufacturing hub, but now has a more diverse economy - or at least it's trying to create one. The eastern side of downtown has languished over the last 30 years. Recently though, there has been a resurgence of investment just west of downtown. A new el-rail station was built and surrounded with transit-oriented-development with mixed-uses and a needed influx of new residents.

The second picture provides us with a different view of the older part of downtown Waldman. The railroad tracks still exist, but a lot of the factories from the early 1900s through the `20s are gone. The housing towards the bottom of the picture is all older stock and that neighborhood suffers from a high foreclosure rate and plummeting home values.

This final photo shows us a zoomed in view of the northern side of the older downtown. The five story red brick building on the bottom of the page is an extension center for the state college found ten miles to the north. The university's investment in downtown has stimulated growth. That development and the adjacent apartments are the furthest out of the new transit-oriented-development mentioned with the first picture.

I hope you enjoyed my pictures. Let me know what you think.

You went and made a gritty-city look rather appealing. The backstory helps justify the photoes. It's relieving to fianlly see something other than a few caption-less pics of skyscrapers and mass transit lines.

Very well done. &apls