• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Here's a couple signs of progress on the MIS with the textures.  I just worked these up based off of rickmastfan67's texture set.  (The image quality may be a little off, due to JPEG compression.)  The Onramp piece isn't final yet, and there's a few things I still want fix on it.  I'm also not sure if the transition is smooth enough (in terms of the angle the ramp branches off).

The Onramp piece

The orthogonal MIS piece

I've also got some of the diagonal pieces ready for it as well, and I'm working with the orth-diag transitions.  Gradual curve pieces and a variety of different ramp setups are also in the works.

delta9, your first post doesn't suck, and in fact, I'd say you brought up some interesting points.  As far as the plans are right now, the revamped UHW and the RHW will have the same lane configurations, but the RHW, being essentially a 1-tile network, has the option of a variable width median, which the UHW does not (being a 2-tile network).  Hope that answers at least part of that for you.

Orange Julius, there's plenty of stuff that's gone on in the past six months, namely with new configurations for the wider RHWs, along with draggable versions of the Elevated and Double-Decker RHW.  The MIS is going draggable as well, in addition to getting a textural makeover (which is why it hasn't been released yet).  And the RHW-2 you're referring to was actually done by mjig_dudy.  There's a new set of RHW-2 textures that rickmastfan67 has in the works.

Hope that whetted everyone's appetite for the moment.  I'll be back with more soon.  Things may be a little slow from time to time for me, though, due to RL.  University's starting up again for me next week.  We'll get it done eventually, though. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

PS--600th post in the SC4D RHW thread!

metasmurf

Finally some progress on the MIS. Looks great!  :thumbsup:

Boernie

That's looks really great. Intresting will be also two-lane-ramps... Just an idea..
--Visit http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2426.0 at the MD recently pubsished section--

oh my god, this hospital is full of sick people!!!

rickmastfan67

Alex, check your PM's about the MIS system. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

JGCarter

bat

That's looking great, Tarkus! Wonderful progress! :thumbsup:

Madeira aka Constantina

it is nice and wonderful, setting a major part of the identity of the RHW.

Haljackey

We have an on/off ramp!  I love the texture detail too!

I have only one recommendation:  Would you be able to add a broken white line between the on/off ramp and the roadway? 
A quick example follows:

See the broken white line on the outer sides of the highway?  Thats what I'm looking for. 
(I'm still learning how to post pictures here, a little different than ST)

I know thats its still early, but its just a request.  Best of luck with the project!

thundercrack83

Whoa, the ramp looks great, Alex! I'm always happy to see progress in this thread! Keep it up!

Shadow Assassin

Quote(I'm still learning how to post pictures here, a little different than ST)

If you know how to post pictures here, you know how to post pictures on the majority of forums across the Web. And I've seen that pic so many times now :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

dragonshardz

Crissa

Dumb question, Tarkus... Because the ramps are only one lane, would we be able to use wider curves in single tiles and diagonal pieces than for a normal road?

Or would the squares make the funny?  I don't know how much control you have over nearby pieces.

-Crissa

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Thanks for the feedback!  Back again with something you might enjoy:

The MIS onramp is in game. ;)

and pathed

I've added a dashed line to the part where the ramp splits from the RHW, based not only on Haljackey's suggestion, but also on what I saw driving down Interstate 5 here in Oregon.   If anyone is wanting an extended accel/decel lane joining into the ramp, I'm planning on a new version where the extended lane is provided through a connection to an RHW-6S (which will allow the merge lane to be as long as you want). 

Crissa, to answer your question, it certainly would be possible to make the one-lane MIS ramps have a little bit smoother curves.  It's a little tricky sometimes, but it can be done. ;)  If the curve ends up not being smooth enough for everyone, it may be necessary to produce a puzzle piece, similar to the NAM Wide Radius Road and Rail Curves.

-Alex (Tarkus)

JoeST

Now that is amazing, I feel like its coming soon. May have to reinstall windows.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

BigSlark

David,

That looks great! Per the MUTCD, having a dashed line and no deceleration lane is perfectly fine for low traffic off ramps.

Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see more!  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Kevin

Haljackey

Well, that looks great, Tarkus!  Its also awesome that you said that you could extend the accel/decel lanes further.

I just have one question with what you ment by that.  Does that also mean that we can add an extra lane when a ramp enters/exits the RHW?  (from RHW-4 to RHW-6)

Thanks and keep up the good work!
-Haljackey.

Filasimo

@ Haljackey: I do believe I mentioned to Tarkus about developing an auxiliary lane which is a lane that exits off into the onramp and starts again at the offramp and it is possible to develop. Im looking forward in seeing that as well since there are alot of them where I live in Nashville. As a matter of fact there are a few dual auxiliary lanes around here as well where one lane does end at the onramp and another lane splits into the onramp and also goes straight. Well have to stay tuned to see how this comes into play
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

JGCarter

thundercrack83

Oooh, that looks great, Alex! I do have one question for you, though: Is it going to be possible to put anything (trees, etc.) between the ramp and the road that it extends from?