• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplumbley

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on February 16, 2008, 05:56:24 PM
It's unfortunately not possible to do that, because of the way the game works.

Even if it was done SAM-style...

Actually... How do you think the original Left Turn Lane mod was created  ::)

The thing is you can either have Left Turn Lanes OR changes to the lines, but not both leading upto an intersection or change in direction.  This is very much a cosmetic thing, I think it is more important to get the functional stuff working before cosmetics.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

nerdly_dood

I know about the NAM team's policy on functions-before-cosmetics, which is why I don't expect it in RWH v.21.

Image along with original request moved as per Filasimo and Burgsabre87's instructions.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Tarkus

Quote from: nerdly_dood on February 16, 2008, 08:14:22 PM
I know about the NAM team's policy on functions-before-cosmetics, which is why I don't expect it in RWH v.21.

You can't expect anything. :D We like to surprise people. ;) 

nerdly_dood, I realize you're excited about the mod, and I really am appreciative of that fact.  I am excited about it, too.  But the thing is, there's very few of us involved with this project, and we have other things we're working on, both in SC4 and in RL.  We can't put everything everyone ever wanted out of this project in by RHW v21.  Nor RHW v22, nor RHW v23, nor RHW v24, or any subsequent version after that.  We certainly are working on some things that I think a lot of people will appreciate.  But we're still human.  Even Maxis had limitations--you may remember what they said when asked about diagonal bridges.  It was something to the effect of "would you rather have diagonal bridges, or a whole new expansion pack (Rush Hour)?"  The same holds true here with the NAM Team.  There's fewer of us, we don't have the luxury of source code, and we're doing this at no cost to you, in our free time. 

I know you probably meant well, nerdly_dood, but before you go around making requests of me, my colleagues, or any other custom content creator, please keep in mind what I've said.  Consider this my request to you. :)

I'll be back at some point with another development update.

-Alex (Tarkus)

RebaLynnTS

A lot of other games have cutom content sites, and on most you have to pay to be a member. As far as I know, no SC4 site charges, so I am greatful for what ever comes along. And when I could not find what I wanted, I learned to make it.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

nerdly_dood

Well I do love a lot of these mods that are available online, and free too, and I know that this is a work in progress, worked on by PEOPLE who don't have unlimited time on their hands.  Of course I would like to help the NAM team in any way I can, but my skills are limited to the lot editor, sc4tool and LEprop, which I used for my nerdly_lots, so I think it's best for everyone if I just keep out of the way and don't annoy people as much as I have in the past.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Tarkus

Warrior, thanks, I'm glad to hear you like the new avatar!

The initial override now faces the correct direction, so I can move on from this rudimentary prototype and the fun may begin . . .

The Orthogonal-Diagonal transitions for all of the wider RHWs will be made by Wide Radius Curve Puzzle Pieces with these draggable stubs on the ends.  There will not be standard draggable Orth-Diag transitions.  This is for a number of reasons, namely because it will greatly reduce the number of necessary textures, cut the amount of RULing I need to do by 80%, much of which would still be unreliable and allow for glitches and weird ugly stuff.  And I figured people would ask for smooth curves anyway. :D

The aforementioned "fun" will be shown in progress in a not-too-distant development update. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

thundercrack83

More great work here, Alex! I look forward to the development update you spoke of, my friend!

Dustin

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Lollo

QuoteAMAZING.... now i know what it is 

So do I!! Well done once again, and great work on the avatar....!

Lorenzo

Keep an eye on the Lair!

RebaLynnTS

Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Starmanw402007

I'll have to agree with Reba on this one, Looking Fantastic!

You Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

Haljackey

Looking good Tarkus!  Its weird to see a new avatar below your name but I guess I'll have to get used to it. 

As for all the questions and requests posted here in this thread, I can see why it is understandable.  In my opinion, there really isn't another place to post things like these in this site. Yes there is the "new transit requests" and "NAM issues" threads, but there isn't one that is specific to the RHW.  I think it would be a lot easier to create a separate thread specifically for the RHW.  (Similar to the RHW: Questions, Errors, and Testing thread @ ST).

I know my post may not of made the best sense, but I bet that if there was a specific place for RHW issues, questions, etc., it would make the threads much more organized.  (Example: The NAM Issues thread would then just be for the NAM.)

Anyways let me know what you think about it.  Organization and communication is a key component to any project, and I think it would be great for this project as well.

Best,
-Haljackey

Filasimo

QuoteLooking good Tarkus!  Its weird to see a new avatar below your name but I guess I'll have to get used to it.

As for all the questions and requests posted here in this thread, I can see why it is understandable.  In my opinion, there really isn't another place to post things like these in this site. Yes there is the "new transit requests" and "NAM issues" threads, but there isn't one that is specific to the RHW.  I think it would be a lot easier to create a separate thread specifically for the RHW.  (Similar to the RHW: Questions, Errors, and Testing thread @ ST).

I know my post may not of made the best sense, but I bet that if there was a specific place for RHW issues, questions, etc., it would make the threads much more organized.  (Example: The NAM Issues thread would then just be for the NAM.)

Anyways let me know what you think about it.  Organization and communication is a key component to any project, and I think it would be great for this project as well.

Best,
-Haljackey

-ahem- Let me be Frank and you be Julie,

As mentioned in the previous post twice. ANY transit request should be made here: (linkie: New Transit Items Request Forum )

As for NAM Problems post here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1444.0

It would be redundant and waste of space to have another request thread and help thread considering the fact that the RHW is a NAM Component These two threads aforementioned above is a general help thread and request thread for anything transit related which the NAM team can help or provide. As we have mentioned before things are handled differently at different sites. As far as I know this is a development thread so lets keep it that way  :thumbsup: Lets not raise this up again kay?
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Tarkus

Dueling bridges . . .  ::)

Still a little funny stuff I have to figure out with the end pieces, as they mirror at the ends, so that means I'll have to do something different with the textures there.  There's no way around it, I had to double up the paths as well, as you may notice.  But this thing is fully functional. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Pat

Alex is that anything like this [linkie] lol.... Anyways WOW Great job and its nice to see some bridge work for the RHW!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JoeST

THAT IS  AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks sooo much

Joe

Please watch your french.  ;) -Filasimo
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Heblem

coool! excellent work I was lookign for something like this since some time ago! thanks!

btw how many RHW bridges we expect to see?  :) also will you include RHW2 bridges? :P

kassarc16

Tarkus, excellent work on those bridges, they are sorely missed.

A quick question: Will there be the MIS pieces to make a SPUI (Single-point Urban Interchange)?

This is what I came up with using Ave and Oneway pieces. I hadn't tested it fully, but I think it should be functional.

bat

Looking forward to the bridge! Great work so far on it! :thumbsup: