• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightygoose

fox river - not to be confused with its channel
aurora - lost to naperville but won by other means
ottowa - in the county you would expect to find it
des plaines river - connecting romeoville and joliet

riverview is a pain..... you could have "only bested by LA" with the reference to riverview amusement park being antiquated or by the same token "party time excellent" in an ironic statement about the now ghost town like vibe conveyed by many articles.... or i could be wrong on all counts...

EDITLol, and you are, my friend- and you are.  But there is still a nugget to be found in what you've said. Good luck! -DE

edit - by all counts i meant the riverview possibilities but i think you mean everything don't you :(

EDITOnly remarking on the Riverview references, but I'll note that you were batting .500 as to the other four listed. -DE
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

thundercrack83

I believe...

Aurora - "Party time, excellent!" - Reference to where Wayne's World was set?
Cook - In the county you'd expect to find it - Cook County, Illinois is where Chicago is?

EDITHeh, Dustin- another .500 hitter! -DE

Another guess...

Wheaton - "Bernstein wasn't born there" - But his reporter partner Bob Woodward was?

Oh, and the Philadelphias...

Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia, MS
Philadelphia, NY
Philadelphia, TN

Don't know which one the cream cheese was named for, but I'll guess Philadelphia, PA.

EDITYou nailed the Philadelphias, my friend.  0 for 2, though, on Wheaton and the Cream Cheese Capital. -DE

threestooges

My guess for the cream cheese is Philadelphia, NY.

EDIT: Upstate New York, just northeast of Watertown.

That's part of Fort Drum in the lower right hand corner of the pic.  This area, along with St. Lawrence County (a former employer of mine) to the east, used to be the dairy farming capital of the universe.  The "Philly" brand goes way, way back
. -DE

And now for some off-the-wall guesses:
des Plaines River: connecting Romeoville and Joliet (small body of water parallels the route)
Aurora: lost to naperville, then won by other means
cook: In the county you'd expect to find it

be prepared seems to be a boy scout reference, but I can't connect it to anything yet...

EDIT: The Des Plaines, while rather slow-flowing and undramatic, is actually quite a sizeable stream, rising in Southern Wisconsin and joining with the Kankakee [linkie] southwest of Joliet to form the mighty Illinois River [linkie].  One out of three, though, my friend- but on the right track for a merit badge. -DE

Pat

oooo ooo A contest sweeet and I see dustin stole my thunder on waynes world lol  :D  sorry bad pun  ;)

OK so on with and see if this is all lining up well....

[tabular type=2]
[row] [head colspan=6]
Match 'em if you can!
[/row]
[row] [head colspan=2]Name[/head] [head colspan=4]Source[/head] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Wheaton[/data] [data colspan=4]Lost to Naperville, then won by other means [/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Ottawa[/data] [data colspan=4]Connecting Romeoville and Joliet[/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Cook[/data] [data colspan=4]In the county you'd expect to find it [/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Fox River[/data] [data colspan=4]Not to be confused with its channel [/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Riverview[/data] [data colspan=4]Once amused[/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Des Plaines River[/data] [data colspan=4]Only bested by LA[/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Aurora[/data] [data colspan=4] "Party time- Excellent!" [/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Round Lake[/data] [data colspan=4]Bernstein wasn't born here[/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]South Shore[/data] [data colspan=4]A line to South Bend[/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Geneva[/data] [data colspan=4]"Be prepared!"[/data] [/row]
[/tabular]

EDIT: Heh, Pat- yet another .500 hitter.  They're everywhere, they're everywhere! -DE

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mightygoose

cook- in the county you'd expect to find it
riverview- once amused
fox river - not to be mistaken for the channel
des plaines river- connecting romeovill with joliet
aurora- part time excellent

EDIT: Well, as Wayne would say, "Party On, Dude!"  The goosemeister has raised his average to .800.  I think, given the previous responses, that the outline of things might be slowly coming into view. -DE

threestooges

Well, I'll give this another partial try:

Des Plaines River: connecting Romeoville and Joliet (small body of water parallels the route)
Aurora - "Party time, excellent!"
Fox River - not to be confused with its channel
South Shore - A line to South Bend
Round Lake - Bernstein wasn't born here
Riverview - Only bested by LA
South Shore – a line to South Bend

EDIT: Counting the one you answered twice, Matt, only as one, you were 4 for 6.  If you count it twice, you were 5 for 7. -DE

Well lets give it another go:
Fox River - Not to be confused with its channel
Aurora - "Party time- Excellent!"
South Shore - A line to South Bend
Riverview - Once amused
Des Plaines River - Connecting Romeoville and Joliet
Geneva - "Be Prepared!"
Cook - Bernstein wasn't born here

Filasimo

hmmm Philadelphia,TN? i think i came across that town here maybe once but it was like completely in the middle of nowhere  $%#Ninj2
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

CabraBuitre

Wheaton    Lost to Naperville, then won by other means ... Wheaton's more centrally located.  And I grew up a half mile from the new courthouse!
Ottawa    Bernstein wasn't born here
Cook     In the county you'd expect to find it
Fox River     Not to be confused with its channel
Riverview     Once amused
Des Plaines River     Connecting Romeoville and Joliet
Aurora      "Party time- Excellent!"
Round Lake     Only bested by LA
South Shore     A line to South Bend
Geneva     "Be prepared!"

EDIT: That's .600 ball, my friend.  I guess I'll start dropping hints- actually even better than a hint.  In the 1800s, the voters of DuPage County, where Wheaton and Naperville are located, held a referendum on which of the two (then) tiny towns should be the county seat, and thus be the location of the courthouse.  Naperville won by almost two to one and its future seemed assured.  Wheaton succeeded in having a second vote held, which it then won, starting a lawsuit between the two cities.  A short time later, though, a contingent of men from Wheaton came down and broke into the place where the county and court records were being kept and removed them back to Wheaton.  Wheaton quickly built a courthouse, and thus took by force what it had at first lost at the ballot box [linkie].

The old Wheaton Courthouse, by the way, was the courthouse that featured prominently in the first "Back to the Future" movie [linkie].

So there you have it- that should tip a number of folks here off to the rest that are still incorrect
. -DE

Check out Abelfarei!

CabraBuitre

Wheaton    Lost to Naperville, then won by other means ... Wheaton's more centrally located.  And I grew up a half mile from the new courthouse!
Ottawa    "Be prepared!"
Cook     Only bested by LA
Fox River     Not to be confused with its channel
Riverview     Once amused
Des Plaines River     Connecting Romeoville and Joliet
Aurora      "Party time- Excellent!"
Round Lake     In the county you'd expect to find it
South Shore     A line to South Bend
Geneva     Bernstein wasn't born here

DUH on that swap... Cook county #2 to LA County, Round Lake is in Lake County.

And the Dupage courthouse (the historical one) was NOT the courthouse in BttF.  That part of the Wikipedia page is wrong.

See the orig HERE

And my other swap is Geneva: Bernstein wasn't born here, with Ottawa, Be Prepared.  Not sure about this one, but would make sense that there would be a boyscout camp near Starved Rock.

Check out Abelfarei!

dedgren

All right!

Our friend CabraBuitre has nailed the matches.

[tabular type=2]
[row] [head colspan=6]
Match 'em if you can!
[/row]
[row] [head colspan=2]Name[/head] [head colspan=4]Source[/head] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Wheaton[/data] [data colspan=4]Lost to Naperville, then won by other means [/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Ottawa[/data] [data colspan=4]"Be prepared!"[/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Cook[/data] [data colspan=4]Only bested by LA [/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Fox River[/data] [data colspan=4]Not to be confused with its channel [/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Riverview[/data] [data colspan=4]Once amused[/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Des Plaines River[/data] [data colspan=4]Connecting Romeoville and Joliet[/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Aurora[/data] [data colspan=4] "Party time- Excellent!" [/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Round Lake[/data] [data colspan=4]In the county you'd expect to find it[/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]South Shore[/data] [data colspan=4]A line to South Bend[/data] [/row]
[row] [data colspan=2]Geneva[/data] [data colspan=4]Bernstein wasn't born here[/data] [/row]
[/tabular]

That's the first half of the puzzle down, so you get the Dee Dee Jonrowe Halfway Award [linkie].  Now let's see who can be the first in to the finish with the significance of the rest of the references.

Thanks too, CB, for correcting the info on the Wheaton Courthouse.  Because I was a Napervillian in my youth, I avoided that beautiful building like the plague...

...center of evil and all that...

...so when the Back to the Future bit showed up on Wikipedia, I sort of shrugged my shoulders and thought, "how much worse can this get?"  While I reference Wikipedia all the time, it remains only as good as the info that goes into it, which was in this case clearly bogus.

So, welcome to the 3RR Fact Checkers!

Busy beyond reckoning today.

But we're getting so close...

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

Hmm...

Bob Woodward--reporter partner of Carl Bernstein--was from Geneva, Illinois, not Wheaton! I thought I remembered it being Wheaton from All the President's Men.

Cook County is only bested by Los Angeles County in population.

Fox River - Not to be confused with the channel-- A reference to Fox News Channel.

Round Lake is in Lake County, Illinois.

Aurora - "Party time, Excellent!" -- a reference to Wayne's World.

EDIT: Dustin, Most Excellent, Dude!  Batting 1,000 here.  I know you stand on the shoulders of giants [linkie], but, taking the Wheaton gimme into account, who can get the other four? -DE

Got the rest...I think?

Riverview - once amused -- Refers to the abandoned Riverview Park in Chicago.

Des Plaines River - Connecting Romeoville to Joliet - Refers to the Des Plaines flowing through Joliet, Illinois.

Wheaton - see Courthouse information above.

Ottawa - "Be prepared!" -- William D. Boyce, founder of the Boy Scouts of America, is buried here.

South Shore - A line to South Bend -- A reference to the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad.

Pat

&apls &apls Congrats CabraBuitre!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mightygoose

&apls dustin you have just done what i was about to do, as far as i am correct all your references are accurate.

bat

Yes, congrats to CabraBuitre!

Looking forward to more in the next 6 days! ;)

dedgren

Sorry about the lack of 3RR content over the past few days, folks.  All my energy has been directed toward collaboration, which is five days away as this is written.

Dustin (thundercrack83) has nailed the explanations, so game over.  I'm going to call him and CabraBuitre co-winners, and will think up something suitable to memorialize their accomplishment...

...after Wednesday.

Thoughts of the Bobs (the Riverview rollercoaster [linkie], not the great a cappella group [linkie]) terrorized my dreams as a child.

60,000 page views passed with no notice yesterday morning.  When then I tuned in about this same time, it was 60,022 or so.  You can look at the current number today to get some idea of the magnitude of the foot traffic here over the last little bit.  We started the year with just over 48,000 views, which meant we averaged about 150 a day during 2007.  It's been over 200 a day since the start of the year and 300 a day during the past week.  As always, you folks are the greatest, and I really believe that the results of collaboration will be a small reward for that.  Thank you, once again.

I have the remainder of a deposition today and then fly to Montana at six (AST GMT -9) tomorrow morning.  Back to you in a while.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

CabraBuitre

Quote from: dedgren on March 07, 2008, 07:48:48 AM
...will think up something suitable to memorialize their accomplishment...

Well, as I WAS the halfway winner and all, I think the first installment of my $3000.00 in gold nuggets is all that should be necessary...  ;)

Check out Abelfarei!

Silur

Hi, David ...
I think - all Your fans will wait for Your "come back" ....

(My daughter's photo about 2004)

Good Luck ....
I'm with You and Thank You ..... :thumbsup:

Pat

David you where terrorized by a rollercoaster? Im sowwies....... BTW Dont worry about having to put together stuff for here...  we all know the Collaboration project its a biiiiig event that will change the way the communty functions!!!

bat

W E L C O M E   T O   P A G E   1 5 3 !
Congrats on more than 60 000 page views, David!

And Looking forward to more in the next 4 days!

btw, WELCOME TO PAGE 153!

Silur

Hi.David ...
It's a second pic:

and this is a last one:

Waiting 3RR Collaboration  :-\