• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Prime Road Avenue (PRA) Project

Started by MandelSoft, June 24, 2009, 06:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbieniu7

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

nerdly_dood

I think the American version of what he's thinking of would be a US highway without paved shoulders - those are our main routes around here, if you ignore interstates. They are sometimes built to interstate standards with paved shoulders and offramps and whatnot, but often they have at-grade intersections and steeper slopes etc, and sometimes they're 4 lanes but sometimes 2 or 6 (with an occasional extra climbing lane on long uphill slopes for trucks)... I do agree that this would be a good idea.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

jmvl

It's great to see this new project here, Maarten. I think this is really something that we're all, including me, missing in the game. I'd be happy to help you on creating the Puzzle Pieces. If you like I can share all my knowledge about making Puzzle Pieces (in Dutch) with you. Just send me a PM if you're interested.

Also, should the "Prime Road" Avenues also be pathed for pedestrians? Maybe it's better to make all Puzzle Pieces with and without the paths for pedestrians because I think pedestrians aren't allowed to walk here on Rijksweg 11, but I think they are allowed to walk here in Den Haag (The Hague) Wassenaar near the underpass under the N44 (here is even something typical Dutch, (red paved) bicycles lanes).

darraghf

Well here in Ireland, pedestrians are allowed to walk on the equivilant of a prime road. I think pedestrians should be able to walk on the road.
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

Blue Lightning

I can probably help here on the puzzle piece and override end... We can have this be a RHW-style override but with the avenue without to much extra work.

(and for those of you who think that two tile network overrides are impossible, think again ;) )

Vince
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

MandelSoft

I'm trying to clear some things up. The PRA is based upon the Maxis Avenues and will look pretty much the same as standard avenues, but there are visual and functional differences between the PRA and normal avenues:
- Unlike the Avenue and like Motorways, the PRA has no sidewalks (that's for the same reason why motorways have no sidewalks).
- The PRA will not be draggable, at least not in the first place. It's going to be a puzzle-piece based override of the Avenue network, just like the Rural Roads from dedgren. The only exceptions are the ramps, that are using MIS ramps.
- The PRA will have custom puzzle pieces for turning lanes and intersections, so you can create advanced turning lanes setup. How you do it, is all up to you. Lane setup and lane length are completly customizeable. That's an advantage of puzzle-piece-overrides in comparision with RUL override.
- The PRA will have A-ramps and B-ramps, and maybe C-ramps and D-ramps.
- Because it looks pretty much the same as a normal avenue, maybe there is no need for a transistion piece.

Well, it looks like I have enough support to start the project. I'll make some textures now. Let's hope that this project will be a success!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

io_bg

The idea of these PRAs is quite good. I wish you good luck with it!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

WC_EEND

I like this idea alot, there goes the RHW-8 I used as a ring road....

*sound of road that is being demolished*
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

metasmurf

DFire870

Quote from: nerdly_dood on June 24, 2009, 02:41:12 PM
I think the American version of what he's thinking of would be a US highway without paved shoulders - those are our main routes around here, if you ignore interstates. They are sometimes built to interstate standards with paved shoulders and offramps and whatnot, but often they have at-grade intersections and steeper slopes etc, and sometimes they're 4 lanes but sometimes 2 or 6 (with an occasional extra climbing lane on long uphill slopes for trucks)... I do agree that this would be a good idea.

Yep, that sounds like it. The US Route system. Although when it's NOT built to interstate standards it usually has at-grade intersections with every road except for major roads (other US Routes for example).

It also reminds me of some roads here in the Austin area that aren't US Route, they're Farm-to-Market routes. Except they're usually 2 lanes.

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

jmvl

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 25, 2009, 06:56:44 AM
- The PRA will not be draggable, at least not in the first place. It's going to be a puzzle-piece based override of the Avenue network, just like the Rural Roads from dedgren. The only exceptions are the ramps, that are using MIS ramps.
- The PRA will have custom puzzle pieces for turning lanes and intersections, so you can create advanced turning lanes setup. How you do it, is all up to you. Lane setup and lane length are completly customizeable. That's an advantage of puzzle-piece-overrides in comparision with RUL override.
That's great Maarten! Completly customizeable intersections is something I always really wanted in SimCity 4. Finally I'll be able to rebuild the Julianaplein in Groningen as well making some of my "big" traffic light controlled intersections in my cities more realistic. I'm also glad to hear that the "Prime Road" Avenues will be a Puzzle Piece based override of the avenue network instead of a RUL override. This will be a lot easier (and less frustrating) for the player.

MandelSoft

Here are the first prime road textures (US version, since the majority of SC4D lives in North America):

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

sithlrd98

Wow...you are quick! Looks real good!

Jayson

Blue Lightning

Wow those look really good!  :thumbsup:

Vince
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Dexist

looks cool man! us version just looks ugly to me, but well i  am used to european roads. :P

kbieniu7

Maybe something like this could be made based on road?  ;)

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

WC_EEND

sweet!, are there going to be european versions as well? (just asking)
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

bob56

Looks Great!!! I think this will be a great project. One suggestion would to have them have different textures than the RHW, or make a euro set. That way, you could (or i would at least) have for example, RHW US textures and this Euro, or vice versa, just to tell the difference. 

Can't wait to see more!!
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Quote from: WC_EEND on June 25, 2009, 12:49:41 PM
sweet!, are there going to be european versions as well? (just asking)

Maybe Nique will let them use his incompleted RHW-2 textures for the euro textures.
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....