• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Charles River Crossing Project (CRCP)

Started by blahdy, June 18, 2007, 08:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGCarter

Wow! Just when I thought your work couldnt get any more realistic! Great job!

blahdy

Cabling operation started: 24 cables at southern approach section.  These cables provide countermeasure against horizontal tension loads applied to the bridge by high winds or earthquakes.

Cable anchors lining up.  This area will be finished with median/jersey barriers when completed.

South tower

Mid-span work will be very... interesting to say at least.

BigSlark

Holy cow Blahdy! I am amazed by your work, I can't wait to see this in-game.

I drove the Zakim Bridge and Big Dig twice this past August and the sheer complexity of it amazes me.

Cheers,
Kevin

Filasimo

yet again another beautiful update blahdy!  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Pat Riot

I love this bridge. Its looks so weird from the area near Alewife though lol.

So far it looks great, but are there really earthquakes in boston? the last big one we had in mass was only like 3-4 somthing in littleton (which is like a football feild from my yard  ;D)

FrankU

When is this going to be released? I probably need to obtain a new computer....

bat56

A really incredible work, the attention to detail is enormous.  &apls
You can take a look at arroway.de if you need good concrete textures.

Congratulations and good luck for your project!

Sam!  :thumbsup:

Pat

QuoteCable anchors lining up.  This area will be finished with median/jersey barriers when completed.

So would that be orange barrels at all by a chance hehehehe..... Blahdy just amazing stuff you are doing!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Kitsune

Quote from: Pat Riot on December 20, 2007, 07:09:04 AM
I love this bridge. Its looks so weird from the area near Alewife though lol.

So far it looks great, but are there really earthquakes in boston? the last big one we had in mass was only like 3-4 somthing in littleton (which is like a football feild from my yard  ;D)

Its possible for 6-7-8'er to hit in that area, but its not likely to happen for a while, but the threat is still there.
~ NAM Team Member

simzebu

I'd imagine Boston is probably in about the same situation as Albany. There are some minor faults somewhere, but they aren't very active. Every once in a while there'll be a small one. But they're rare, and until recently nobody built for them. (Especially not in Albany. Our bridges can barely stand up when the ground stays still)
Known as Embolalia in numerous other places.

Penguins, Python, and Programming, oh my!

blahdy

There's not much chance of earthquakes happening in Boston, but yes there is still risk of one happening.  Big dig structures are designed to withstand up to 7.5 magnitude heavy earthquakes for both the Zakim bridge and tunnels (though whether they can really handle 7.5mag earthquake is another story given the quality of project management in the past).  It will also take wind speed of up to 400mph to snap one of the 116 cables on the Zakim bridge.  The bridge can also sustain losses of several cables (i.e due to hurricane/heavy winds) and still remain structurally holding (though failure to replace/fix damaged cables over time could lead to progressive structural failure if left neglected/unmaintained).

Pat: not on the final product, but orange construction barrels and traffic cones may come up for decorative looks during mid-span deck construction.  The mid-span will be modelled piece by piece to properly line up the cables and may end up looking like a real cable-stayed bridge construction project.

bat56:  Thanks for the URL for more concrete textures.  I'll be sure to look into using them! :)

a quick few shots...

All south span cables are now fully anchored and locked in place.  Cabling work for south span is now 100% completed.  Mid-span work will start within few days or so.

The I-93 SBD tunnel is now completed.  Note that some of these tunnel wall sections will be partially visible in-game as well.

Tunnel wall panel installed on the slurry wall shown few nights ago.

The upcoming work on mid-span section will require additional planning in order to perfectly line up with both RHW/MIS 8-lane elevated highway as well as the Charlestown Interchange at the end of the bridge's north span.  Because of sheer size of the bridge, the mid-span section will be in its own puzzle piece separated by another PDL line.

Pat

O
m
g
!

Just simply stunning some more Blahdy

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Absolutely amazing work here. I was in Boston over the summer and took this picture:

I thought I'd share here as reference for those who have never been to the great city of Boston, and also to show just how realistic your work is. I simply cannot get over it!

The_Hutt

Heblem

looking quickly to thundercrack83's picture i thought it was another blahdy render but omg! excellent work i'm really impressed

rickmastfan67

-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

DFire870

Quote from: Heblem on December 21, 2007, 12:22:39 AM
looking quickly to thundercrack83's picture i thought it was another blahdy render but omg! excellent work i'm really impressed

:D I thought the same thing, then I saw that the cars were real.

Amazing work as usual blahdy.

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Filasimo

dang thats one sexy lookin progress to a bridge!  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Pat Riot

Quote from: Heblem on December 21, 2007, 12:22:39 AM

exactly what I thought.

Blahdy, you should really just model the whole freaking city and sell it to google earth or somthing. this is so awesome.

ExplodingSims

ZOMGAZASTRIP!!!!! and an additional Holy CRAP!!
That's really looking great!! I though Thundercracks pic was on of your blahdy!! Looking forwards to more!!