• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Neo Byzantinian Empire of Stropon

Started by Strechnitz, April 11, 2007, 12:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwakelaar

QuoteBut his wife Empress Georgiana was a devout catholic who was convinced that God was only rightly worshipped if it cost a fortune...
I quite enjoyed this little comment by Alexandra  :D

I really like the layout you have chosen for the New Palace and also the Barracks, the Kitchengarden and Coach house have turned out very nice.

iamgoingtoeatyou

I've been lurking for far too long.

Those gardens...wow, just incredible! &apls &apls &apls

In fact, this entire journal is incredible, fascinating work :)

sebes

Very impressive update Hubert - I can see where you got your inspiration this time  :satisfied:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

suplado!

really awesome...those gardens are very impresive...not just its massive size but the way it is design and created...cool!!

Strechnitz

A new year and a new season. On page 24 you can read a recapitulation or synopsis of the story in the first season. And now  starts the second season. Many MD's and or CJ's have received the invitation for their heads of state to the mid-winter ball. These next RB&R episodes will take us to this feast of feasts and all the things that happen around it. It will be nasty I'm afraid but rest assured, no foreign dignitaries will be hurt!!

Nardo Thank you Bernhard, I am glad that you like it :)
Bat thans Bat.
Kimcar Thank you. the Grand palce will come soon.
Capo Well read up on the rest then!! $%#Ninj2 nah just oking, glad you like it. :)
Kwakelaar I am glad you liked that quote :) I had to grin myself when I wrote it.
Iamgoingtoeatyou Lurk any time you want :) thats free. thanks for the compliments.
Sebes You do? How nice, and where did I get my inspiration from? :satisfied:
Suplado Glad you like it :thumbsup:

When all the clocks in the Holy Stroponian Empire struck midnight 2007 ended and the year 2008 commenced. As everywhere else in the world this event was celebrated in style!

New Year 's Eve was celebrated in Stropon with all the gayety and happiness that the feast is due. Grand festive fireworks lit up the skies and polluted the environment. Glasses were raised in toasts all over the empire. no time for the selfish partiers to think of the beggars who froze in the streets. It was time to forget the old and welcome the new.

Everywhere in the hierarchical society people set there worries aside and celebrated the dawn of the new year. May it bring much good to the Holy Byzantine Empire!

That last thought was also very well put in the traditional televised Saint Sylvester or New Year Speech of the Supreme high Prelate of Simeonopole, the pope of Simeonism. Halicarnassos VIII, which he held in the Sankt Sylvester cathedral in Simeonopole. The friendly holy father of Simeonism urged his feithfull sheep to be less consumer driven in the next year. To look around from time to time and help those in need, or in want. And be more forgiving to once enemies and, so on.

His Enlightened ness Hallicarnassos VIII was the 18th Supreme high Prelate to sit on the Throne of Saint Simeon. As the Spiritual leader of Simeonism he is loved throughout the Empire. Many of the plebes are so fond of the friendly chubby prelate that he is lovingly called "Father Halli" slanderous rumours more high up the hierarchical ladder however say that his election was a mistake. That His Enlightened ness is too kind and friendly to lead the church. His fellow Grand High Prelates thought he had not long to live when he was elected so that in his short Papacy they could already start choosing his successor from amongst themselves. But the rotund Halicarnassos'behind already warmed the Holy throne for 12 years now, and it did not seem as if death would stop by soon. If you think the Stroponian aristocracy is bad, selfish and greedy, than you clearly haven't met the Stroponian Clergy!

But let us not stray too far. let us get back to the story at hand. After the festivities had ended and the Empire tried to cure their hangovers 2008 was here to stay. On the evening of the 1st of January a lot of dinners are traditionaly held to celberate the new year AGAIN. I know, these Stroponians do anything for a party. They are terrible!

In the Lord High Chancellors mansion Lord Clauenbach held a private dinner for some members of the Imperial Cabinet and some other important friends. All old money of course. Lord Paufenfels, Lord High Treasurer of the Realm stood up and raised his glass.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, I like to propose a toast, not to the New Year no, not again. But let us look back on last year. Opening up the borders to the world has proven to be very beneficial to us. our economy is booming and we profit greatly from it. I think I speak for everybody if I say that I hope that this trend will continue. You all know that that as a Paw, I am against opening the borders for political reasons. We were better off behind closed borders. But economically it has flooded our state coffers and enriched those of us who have been wise enough to invest their ancestral capitals. Therefore I like to make a toast to prosperity!"
"To prosperity!" the dinner guests echoed, and drank from their glasses.

When the desserts were brought in the Chancellor rose to his feet and held his glass dessert wine high in the air.
"Before we conclude this dinner dear friends, I want to make a last toast. With the passing of time we become older and wiser. And I believe that is a good thing. His holy majesty however has come to the point where he has increasing trouble to cope with all the burdens of government. He leaves more and more of his duties to our judgement and decision. We have become so powerful that his majesty has almost become a ceremonial figurehead. Let us drink to the fact that we, all who sit around this table, are more powerful than ever. May it long remain so!"
The guests jeered and applauded and raised their glasses to show there agreement with this slanderous toast. Where was the poor Emperor anyway? He was in his private apartments in Kaiserburgen palace. he had turned down every invitation and spent the evening alone with a glass of fine port and a good book.

After dinner there were cigars and drinks for the guests suddenly one of them came up to Frits. It was lord Bosinger, permanent secretary of the Stroponian SCJU delegation. He was in an emotional state "I must talk to you Frits, is it true that Freddy Kwelheim of OPEUM gets my job And I'll be booted out of the SCJU? Is that my thanks for my loyalty?"
"Why dear Argus, please follow me, It is not what you think, but let us go to a more private corner."

The Lord High Chancellor guided Argus von Bosinger to the men's room.
"It is true that Lord Kwellheim gets your job. It is a reward for is astounding work to real in the OPEUM headquarters."
"But he is an insufferable leech Frits, and he is new nobility. My noble ancestry goes back 13 generations. It is unheard off I can not accept it that he gets my job! By God man, we were at Clayhurst together!"
"Look Argus... "
"No Fritz, this is nonnegotiable!" 

"Really? your reaction hurts me Argus, especially because I have a good reason to promote Lord Kwellheim to your place argus."
" Really?.... Will there be a cabinet shuffle? Do you perhaps have a senior post for me? Here have drink old boy."
Lord Bosinger produced a hipflask and poured the Chancellor a drink.
Thank you Argus. Indeed we are both Stingers, I would never let a friend drop, especially after such good services for the Empire."

"Well naturally Frits, the Bosendorfers dedicate their lives to the service of the Empire."
"Indeed, well as you know I have to combine the High Chancellery with that of  the governmentship under the Atlantan Presidency at the SCJU. That is too much for one man to handle, even for me mind you. But I have noone capable enough. Someone who is up for the job. Someone who can put a bit of stick about.... So I needed to free you from the permanent secretary at the SCJU. Do you follow me old boy, and when Stropon won't be part of the next SCJU administration we throw that Kwellheim creature out to give you your old job back. Alright?"

"Oh Frits, your words move me. Do you mean it? A Bosendorfer the first minister for treaties and organisations at the SCJU? That is marvellous. Oh I am so sorry for ever doubting you. I should have known. Have more faith in you....you can count on me Frits old boy! Rest assured.!"  And with a firm handshake a relieved and promoted Von Bosendorfer left the men's room.

Surprised? Most of the important business in Empires are not dealt with in palaces or conference room. No they are dealt with in corridors, restrooms, balconies, cars, and during meals. The rest are simply facades of etiquette, meant to dazzle and confuse the outsiders.

And with this train of thought we leave the Lord High Chancellors residence to another house where new money the Nouveau Riche gathered for a dinner in the von Geizhals household.what would be the topic of conversation in that household?....

To be continued...

Your favorite "deliciously deviant" Empire is Back after a 2 month pause

Click on the picture above to visit Stropon.

sebes

I don't know how you do this but have to admit...it's excellent my friend, excellent  &apls

Looking forward to more beastivities and gossip informal meetings soon  ()meeting()
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

bat

That's a really great update there, Strechnitz!
Wonderful work on it!
Looking forward to more...

kwakelaar

His Enlightenedness Hallicarnassos VIII should really hire a new photographer, not looking very enlightened like this.

Waiting for the other dinner party resume.

Russell

An intriging soapopera this update felt like, yes - marvellous.  :thumbsup:

Strechnitz

Dinners dinners and yet more dinneres :)

Sebes Beastivities? you animal! $%Grinno$%
Bat thank you Bat.
Kwakelaar Well his Enlightenedness Halicarnassos VIII is supposed to be senile. judging your remark I have chosen the right picture :) It comes from BlackAdder
RusselThank you my friend :)

In the sphere of wealthy Stroponians there was a lot of grudge and dissent between old and new money. The Stroponian Nouveau Riche on the one hand loathed all the privileges of the aristocracy like tax exemptions, on the other hand they painstakingly tried to imitate the their way of life.

And none threw better dinner parties than von Geizhals. At his dinner table the top bankers and industrialists of the Empire were gathered, all clad in old fashioned dinner suits and their wives decorated with vintage jewellery in an attempt to copycat the aristocracy.

And yet another toast. "So my dear friends, 2008 will be a year full of venture and possibilities for enlarging our fortunes. The complacent blue bloods are so busy protecting their privileges and rubbing up to the Emperor, that they will miss out on the benefits of open borders. But we'll be there to reel in the profits. I tell you here and now that 2008 will be a top year!" 

And this toast was greeted with cheer and raised glasses. Soon after the business Moguls attacked the dishes with fine food that could have saved a starved village. And yet, during the dinner Augustus von Geizhals was pondering over something entirely different. Not stock rates or business opportunities, no a little slip of paper that was brought to him earlier in the day.  "Things are about to change, care to take part in it?"  No name or anything on it. Just that one line. It could be a joke of a rival banker of course, but at the same time it could be a major possibility. What to do? Augustus decided to wait a bit to see if more came from the same source.

But that is enough of the banker's thoughts for now. We have kept Jerome Victor alone with his good port and good book long enough now. Haven't we? The young and eager to please Baron von Streifen entered the Emperors study and showed him the results of his soundings of the Prince Electors.
"Very good work von Streifen" complimented the Emperor when he flipped through the pages. After reading it he threw it in the fire where the flames consumed von Streifens work.
"I am very happy with your conclusions von Streifen. A job well done. When I die the chance that one of the pro-Paw  Electors inherits the throne is very slim. I can sleep peacefully now. BTW what are your views on my democracy appeal?"

"I am afraid that I feel that the Cabinet is languid in turning your wish into legislation Sire."
"What do you mean?" asked the Emperor while pouring himself another glass of 50 year old port.
"Rumours have it that the broad interdepartmental committee is a ruse to diffuse your plans to give the people of this Empire democratic their proper rights and..." but there the Emperor stopped by raising his hand.

"That's nothing but lobby twaddle. I trust Frits fully. He is a very sound man. He's the last one to betray me my boy. I crush traitors, he knows that. No not another word on it von Streifen...How is your costume for the Mid-Winter Ball? It is only 4 days away now."
"Yes thank you your majesty, my costume is all in order, but my mask has still not arrived. Those Venetian mask makers are awfully lazy."
Jerome Victor replied smiling. "Well, don't be too harsh on those poor mask makers of Venice. Half the Stroponian Elite orders their masks there. Each year it is a miracle that they all arrive in time...well off with you, I want to read some more before going to bed. Good night!"  And with that the baron retired from the presence of his majesty and went up to his private quarters.

In the park surrounding Kaiserbürgen Palace a rendezvous of a different nature took place. Here in the exaggerated, monumental Orangerie building the Lord Claudius, who is in charge of the Imperial Household gave an interview to Amaranta Borges of the Stroponian Herald.
What did the sly reporter hoped to find out?

To be continued

sebes

Love it - and I realy admire how you get the pictures to match the story line.... How do you do that man  &Thk/(
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Yoder7652

Oh Hubert...so much has happened since my last visit to Stropon. I was greeted with an invitation to the upcoming mid-winter ball...on behalf of the government of Osturland, HRH William Gardannes accepts your invitation (if it is not too late  %confuso :D). Although, attendence at such an event could be quite dicey to one's health given all of the debauchery of the Stropon aristocracy represented in your last few updates  ;D :D. Ah, but I'm sure that the fun and enjoyment to be had far exceeds the potential consequences. Now I must scrounge up a costume  $%#Ninj2

Emperor Stormont

Simply fabulous work dear Hubert, you continue to delight me with these series of updates.

Unique and a joy to read, something that is incredibly rare in many MD/CJ's

I await further update and more excitment  &apls

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Russell

Your MD continues to be uniquely unique, and I love it.  ::)

Please hurry up with the next episode.

bat

Also like that update! :thumbsup: And looking forward to more of it!!

Slann

Yours is the 1st MD I have the time to read in ages and ages! *grin*

Excellent work and a wonderful read - looking forward for more but for now...

&apls &apls &apls
Imperial Representative of the Viceroyalty of Dominea

Nardo69

IRL I don't give a damn to gossip but here I like it.

In addition to this your hand for making barocque palaces and gardens is awesome!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Strechnitz

Sebes well in this case I have watched too many miniseries and movies I guess. :)
Yoder Good to see you here again my friend, I hope all is well :thumbsup: Glad you like it all, and with a few aspirines you should survive the debauched aristocracy :D
Emperor Stormont You always manage to make me smile Michael, thank you for that. %wrd
Russel I'll do my best to bring the next episodes without delay. promiss ()stsfd()
BatThanks Bat
Pipishere Thank you Pip :)
Slann Welcome to Stropon Slann, I hope you like what I have in store for you all ;)
Nardo Glad you like it :) And thank you for the compliment, it is much apreciated.

Strech.

Strechnitz

The age old story of old men and young women.

Amaranta Borges had tried to find evidence that corroborated her hunch on the unnatural death on the empress 40 years ago. But wherever she looked, whether it was the imperial medical archives, the coroner's reports or news archives, everywhere she looked files seemed to be out of place, lost in time, accidentally destroyed or simply missing. Amaranta knew that "filing" in the halls of imperial government often meant that it became irretraceable, but never had she countered such a formidable yet invisible opposition as in this case.

Finally at a wits end and haunted by her editor with a possible sacking (and being sacked by Anastacia von Reigen it usually meant becoming unemployable in the entire branche) she turned her attention to Lord Claudius von Tserkenthal. The head of the Imperial Household. Apart from managing the staff of all the Imperial Residences the viscount held the keys of the 'tomb' as it was called. The safe that contained everything the Holy emperors want to keep from the public eye. Whatever was put in there never saw daylight again. Whether it was evidence of corruption, amorous affairs, bastard children or murder, the tomb concealed the documents until eternity.

So the best way to come close to the 'tomb' was getting close to von Tserkenthal. And Amaranta being a beautiful woman was a great advantage. For the vain and aged Romeo still believed he was an attractive match for the young ladies in society. They usually laughed behind his back. But his vanity made him death for such things. He interpreted it as the blushing laughter of flattered shy young ladies. The poor fool.

So with the request for an interview on the Mid-winter ball preparations she now sat opposite the dandy courtier in the wintergarden of the Kayserbürgen Residence.

"So as I said earlier my dear lady, this years ball will be held in the magnificent Listerlunde Palace instead of Kayserbürgen. With all the foreign monarchs and presidents attending this years ball, Kayserbürgen is simply too small to accommodate all of them."
"Fascinating my Lord, it truly is" Amaranta said blinking her large eyes. The Ball was renowned for being a grandiose party, but this man was sooo boring. Besides, her mind explored all the possible ways to make him talk or get the keys of the 'tomb'.

She had done everything to make him believe she was very much in awe of him. That she regarded him as the greatest thing on earth. And as most men he believed every body lingual sign he saw and truly believed he made an amorous conquest on her. That feat made him loose his usual guard and he had drank too much champagne to think clear. Unaware of the wolf in sheep clothing in front of him.

"Ooh, what is that lord Claudius? Is that another Imperial knighthood you wear under your coat?" she said with a girly voice pointing at his gold threaded collar. There was a little piece of a gold chain visible.
"What my dear Lady? Oh that?" He opened the two top buttons of his gala uniform and produced an elaborately wrought golden necklace with eight long slender keys. He straightened his back as well as possible in his intoxicated state and tried to produce a serious face.
"No my dear, ge ge, this is something few people have seen. It exceeds any chivalric honour I have received from his Holy Majesty.  These are the keys to the Empires Pandora's box. A Pandora's strongbox you could call it hahaha."

If Lord Claudius had been sober he would never have dreamt of divulging such a secret, but then again, with enough wine and in fair company men usually do things they might later regret. For instance he failed to see the sudden expression of vulgar greed in her eyes when she saw the keys.

"Really? How exciting. And that must undoubtedly be in the Emperors bedroom?"
Lord Claudius roared with laughter spilling champagne on the table. "Oh no my dear.hahaha, That strongbox is located where nobody will expect it hahaha. It is so ingenious. In fact...hahaha. You sit in top of it with your sweet little frame. Hahaha."
Amaranta looked at the multicoloured floor of the winter garden and noticed the eight pointed star of porfyr laid into the carrarra marble tile just next to her chair. All eight points had little holes in them. Eight keyholes!
Into lord Claudius' cloudy mind the thought occurred that perhaps it was not wise to trust a reporter no matter how pretty with such delicate information.
"Ahem no not really, actually that ehm, is an airing vent for the ehm boiler room heating the ehm wintergarden. Hahaha." But Amaranta knew that was a lie. She deemed it wise to change the subject so he would not get suspiscious. She stood up walked around the table with champagne and fine pastry and put her arms around Lord Claudius's neck. Who surprised with the idea that modern women could take the initiative forgot to breathe.

"Oh Lord Claudius, this was such a thrilling evening, thank you for your story on the Mid-Winter Ball preparations. I have to go now. Deadlines are deadlines. You will find a most pleasing article in tomorrow's paper." She gave him a kiss on the forehead and slid of his lap.
Leaving the old courtier with a racing heart for a few second. But he came round soon enough.
"Wraf! I mean, yes naturally my sweat deer, I err mean my sweet dear. You run along now I look forward to the article hehehe. When eh, when will I see you again freil arcadian beauty?"

"Why I would love that lord Claudius, but have you other interesting stories for me then? She asked pouting her lips in a common way. But it had a great effect on the Viscount who believed he was conquering her like the amorous hector he was in his youth, unaware that it was entirely the other way round now. "C, c, c, c, call me Claudy my dear. Please." He uttered with trembling hands which fluttered aimlessly from his beard to his gold cuffs and back. "Is there more interesting information you want to shaer with me?...Claudy?"
"OH yes, more than enough my little dove. Ehmm. Say, why not come to the palace on the night of the Ball? I won't be there, We can have a light supper in the palace and ehm talk some more."
Amaranta knw he now was like wax in her hands. "I would love to Claudy, I'll see you then."and with the blink of her eye she walked to the entrance of the building where a lackey waited to escort her to the palace gates. Lord Claudius, the amorous fool sat down again before his weak knees would fail him and drank the entire contents of the open champagne bottle.

:) lol
Unaware that concealed behind some exotic ferns and flowers stood a silent witness who walked to the far corner of the large winter garden and made a phonecall. "mistress? Persephone 4 here. Keeper is seduced by the reporter, she knows the location of 'tomb'.

And with these ominous words the story ends....well in the Winter garden that is.

While the first foreign royal guests started to land on the International Imperial Aerodrome outside Strechnitz and were greeted by high ranking officials who made sure they were brought to the luxurious hotels where they would stay, the man in the street was beginning to get unhappy about the situation in the Empire. For those of you who have read the Stropon Herald of 3 december will know about the Brag di Moon Massacre in Nargoon. Since then 8 more massacres had taken place in the Asian Vice royalty. Killing both Stroponians as Nargoonians. The Inspector Superintendant in Charge had as yet failed to see any connection or plausible explanation for the horrendous crimes. The statements of the Vice Roy that it was the work of the Nargoon Liberation Fighters, who are supposedly lead by  Prince Francis Dai Raj, the grandson of the former king of Nargoon, made no sense. They would only kill the Stroponians but in each case the Nargoonian servants also lost their lives.

It was a mystery which filled the Proles and plebes with much discontent. Why was the culprit not found and arrested? Who was behind such hideous terrors? This added to the rising prices for food and oil, and the silence of the government on the democratisation promised by their Emperor resulted in empire wide malcontent and anger. Nothing visible at the surface for the carefree elite but it is there and it will grow if not adequately dealt with.

Speaking of terrible attack in Nargoon. Where is our poor misguided Simeon? He was in one of the suburbs of the Vice Royal Capital. He had received a new message from 'the heavens'ordering him to spread the cleansing fire of justice. He was about to destroy a pagan temple. He left an old temple where the 3 priests now lay dead on the floor. Simeon disappeared in the maze of small alleys. And the temple? Well just look at the pic below...

Simeon ran through the shantytown where most of the inhabitants had not yet awakened. He heard the loud bang when the explosives went off, and kept running. When he was well away of the site and sirens were heard he stopped and saw his reflection  in a murky pool he washed the blood of his hands and face and rearranged his clothes a bit. Then he sank down on his knees and prayed to the heavens for guidance. Then he heard the angels sing. As usual they came through the mobile phone in his pocket.

It was his masters voice.  "well done Simeon, the heretics are being punished. Find the church of Saint Marius and go to the chapel of the holy trinity, You will find new clothes there. Provided by the almighty one. Change into them and destroy your current ones. I will tell you what to do after that."
"Y, y, y, yes Mmmmmaster." Simeon said. And he walked along the little alley. In a dark cull de sac he saw an old woman sweeping the floor. One hand touched his long knife concealed in his trousers the other was raised to greet her. "Dear Llllady, where is the c, c, c, church of  Sssaint Mariusss?"  She looked up and saw his angelic and innocent looking eyes. She gave him the directions he needed. And the old woman?

To be continued...

Strech.