• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Celje Urban Region - CUR

Started by strucka, April 27, 2010, 01:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strucka

Replies: Yes kwakelaar, I am starting to agree with you. I'll be getting on with pictures. The idea in my head was quite good, with the videos I mean, but when put out, I see pictzures are far better than videos, because, they give you a million ways to understand what is there on the picture. The main problem I'm having is that the region is still under construction and so large pieces of the whole puzzle are still missing. Well I'll make an effort to upgrade that.
Thanks nbvc!

3 | WC_EEND(xander)
1 | Haljackey, ecoba, mbsimcity, TheBluejay, canyon jumper, Neofita, marsh, kwaelaar, nbvc

Well here is another video.

This here is the old town of Krakovo. Krakovo was a town until around 1840ies, when city of Celje ate the whole thing. =) Today, there is almost no visible border between the two and everything is the old city inside the 1st Ring boulevard.

Shown here is one of the main plazas/squares in the neighborhood, the Tržni trg (Market place).

http://www.youtube.com/v/fyOyUcG5ua8

The Market place is cut in half by the Poljska road, which is actually a road with tram running in the middle. One piece is the market, the other is very dull and boring and is currently getting an architectural overhaul. The market consists of two parts, the old and the new. The new part are two pavillions, work of architectural firm RezArt, the older part are booths from 1960's.

This second video shows a quick stroll on the side of the Fabiani lake (named after a very important architect from the begining of th 20th century, that made it) and along side the Kobenhavn boulevard.

http://www.youtube.com/v/t0VmYWj7xMA

The park area you can see is the Celje city park and is the largest by far. It is around 3km long and 500m wide and with these measurments it is quite a big obstacle for the city transit infrastructure. Because of that initial plans by fabiani got an upgrade with water traffic in the lake, which stretches the majority of the park.

Today the public transit line on the lake alone carries around 20.000 people per day (just so you know, there are tram and underground lines and stations around the lake, and a lot of big roads)

CrossSide

Looks nice!

A question: How do you get those buildings without a road next to it? Or are those special plazas or something? Thanks! :)

edit: never mind!

Highrise99

Nice city!  I like the transit and the architecture.  Where did you get all the downloads?

NASCAR_Guy

I love the concept of a MD done completely on Youtube.
Show us what you look like http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1142.0

Just call me Dave

CoastRunner

I agree, your transit systems are great!  I like the videos, they provide a very good view of how the city fits together.

Skimbo

I lik the unusual way you present your city, great work  :thumbsup:
The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

strucka

3 | WC_EEND(xander)
1 | Haljackey, ecoba, mbsimcity, TheBluejay, canyon jumper, Neofita, marsh, kwaelaar, nbvc, CrossSide, Highrise99, NASCAR_guy, nickie, Skimbo

Thank you every one so much. =) Those plazas are Ped mall tiles in the NAM system. They are pedestrian only tiles. All the downloads are from STEX and SC4D LEX and there are a looooot of them, I'm reaching 2GB right now and there's more to come. One thing that will be finding it's place in my plugin folder are the textures for the world. I'm looking for mediterraenean stuff. Does anyone know of any?
Here's a pic of what i'm looking for:

There hasn't been a lot of time to give another update, so I promise in the next week there will be something sexy up on here.

Gilikov1994

maybe what about some trees on the grassfields ::)?

- Giel :thumbsup:
Check out my LOT thread, and also the EBLTeam!

==> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10509.msg318190#new <==

tag_one

That's some serious traffic in the Tržni trg (I copied it, but I have now idea how to pronounce it :D). That road must be real barrier between the market and the pavilion ;)

strucka

Thanks to both. First, Giel, I tried, but just didn't have the right feel to it, maybe in the next update. Tag, there is a hidden underpass, that can be entered in two of the buildings. And besides, most of the time, the traffic is either moving very slowly (like 5metres/min) or it's standing in a jam. Open google translator and enter tarzhni in for english and listen to it. That's quite near it's slovene pronounciation (ž=zh in english).

3 | WC_EEND(xander)
1 | Haljackey, ecoba, mbsimcity, TheBluejay, canyon jumper, Neofita, marsh, kwaelaar, nbvc, CrossSide, Highrise99, NASCAR_guy, nickie, Skimbo,Gilikov1994,tag_one

Here's a teaser for all of you.

Read you someday next week.

canyonjumper

That looks good strucka!

Your friend,
                                   Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Battlecat

Nice teaser!  Looking forward to more

strucka

Hi there again!
First of, I have to apologize to everyone. My reallife kicked in heavily and of course studying architecture was the first in line for me. Now I got just enough new material, to produce another teaser, that this time will be given a sequnce of them, until a new video is prepared, that will show of the simengineering of Celje region. What I wil show is the first ever connected highway, number A1 that connects Celje (now counting 2.2mil residents) with the seaside city of Trsat and ends at the airport on the outskirts of the town.

This is the sight of the A1 going over the first of it's many viaducts and tunnels.

This is a mountainious highway, projected for the speeds of around 120km/h, so there is a safety limit of 110 around all of the tunnels and viaducts, however, there is a 140km/h limitation on the straight and less curvy parts.

Before it's existance, the cities were connected by a windy and steep road over the top of the mountains and a slow single track rail. The commute time before that was around 4 hours @ 90km of twisty road, or 5 hours for the train, now it's gone down to 35 minutes @ 78km, the longest tunnel is 8km long.

Hope this moves the thread automaticly to the active threads again.

Replies welcome ( I promise I will update now).
Thank you!

cubby420

Very cool teaser. Now we just have to get you out of the inactive section and get this MD going again  ;)  Love the videos

strucka

Replies: Cubby thank you very much. I also got the thread out of the dead section and for that I thank You the great moderator of these threads, who did the good job of moving it. ;)

As for the posts (the game is still on):
3 | WC_EEND(xander)
1 | Haljackey, ecoba, mbsimcity, TheBluejay, canyon jumper, Neofita, marsh, kwaelaar, nbvc, CrossSide, Highrise99, NASCAR_guy, nickie, Skimbo,Gilikov1994,tag_one, cubby420

Hello again!

Technically we're still at the same topic, but today, we are on different track.
A double track railway actually. It has been built a long time ago. In 1848 actually. The main reason for it was the horrible and awfully steep transit route for horses and carriages back then, that made the transport from Celje to Trsat port travel around 10 days. The tip of the ice berg was, when the emperor Friderik IX. went to his summer residence in Trsat, he traveled for such a long time, his ignorant rule colapsed. Then the new emperor put all of his efforts in to the railroad, so he could go to the sea for a week or two and be back rally fast if something was wrong in his empire. Though there was a really positive vibe for the rail from the economy, that could then get stuff faster from the sea. And to the capital. There were a lot of problems with the rail, but most were solved afterwards in the 20th century, when building techniques developed more. Most concerning were some slopes that caused quite a few train crashes in the winter, after in 1863, the winter traffic got limited for only the good and warm days (no nights). The tracks were very well maintained, and some parts of the original track are still in use, but 67% of it goes a new way, less steep less curvy, with wider curve and longer tunnels. So today the track allows the speeds of up to 140km/h, but is limited to lower speeds, especially one part where the allowed speed is 40km/h (yes you guessed it, it's one of the originals).

What also stands here proudly from 1845 is this bridge. The first steel bridge in the monarchy stands proudly as it has been there from yesterday.

The engineer of that bridge fell in love with it, and built a cottage in the middle of nowhere with almost no access to it, just so he could go here and look at it for a week in absolute isolation.

So these are the main arteries between the cities, I will put a few pictures of one and the other up here in the next few weeks, when the video returns. =) In it.. no I won't tell you what we'll do in it.

RickD

Looking good. Great to see you back in the active section. :)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

mightygoose

hey your work here looks very promising, however if you are going to use plop flora and plop rocks, perhaps you should increase your level of treatment on your river and coast shores. while i understand that sometimes grass goes to the edge of a stream, there is usually at least some form of mud/gravel/weed boundary, even in open terrain. your shots show great scope and prior planning, but it lacks the final polish to make them truly superb.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

strucka

Replies: Thank you to both! Mightygoose I agree with the rocks, still have to work on those, let's just say this is a section where the grass comes down to the river ;)

3 | WC_EEND(xander)
1 | Haljackey, ecoba, mbsimcity, TheBluejay, canyon jumper, Neofita, marsh, kwaelaar, nbvc, CrossSide, Highrise99, NASCAR_guy, nickie, Skimbo,Gilikov1994,tag_one, cubby420, RickD, mightygoose

Today I will give only one and a half picture (half cuz one is so small, eventhough it shows A LOT).

The A1 ''autobahn'' starts on the outskirts of Celje and ends on the outskirts of Trsat as we already said. The rail actually starts and ends in the centre of both cities. So what else could I do, rather then show those two.

This is Celje again, now reaching around 1.8mil residents (2.2mil. in metro area).
It's a small picture, I know, but it's a little detail, of a huge city, Celje really is.

I know it's too wide,  but please don't get mad mods, it's a small panorama

This photo shows the city's old cores (Celje, Krakovo, Glazija) and two of the medieval hill fortresses, with the newer (from 18th century on) parts of the city and the CBD district, called Mesto (eng.: City), with majority of the cities skyscrapers. This part of the city was so notorius, that in 1910 (after it's 20th 100m+ skyscraper) the city government of New York City, took this as an example, of how Manhatten should look like. South of the City are the Lower and Upper house of Parliament, followed by the Kings palace and the Kings square (where the highest authority (King and Queen) talks to people, when talk is needed or on special ocasions).

The other city is Trsat, now this is a smaller city, that counts around 300.000 heads, but is a very important city. This is a picture in the centre, near the King's (summer) palace. However, you can see the King station (a near exact copy of it is in London actually, funny thing is, it's called the King's cross), the end station to this rail line from Celje to Trsat.

Happy holidays to all of you!

Tomas Neto

Nice city, very good!!!  :thumbsup:
Happy new year!!!

Aaron Graham

I really like this, can't wait to see another update. :thumbsup:
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy