• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Version June 2007

Started by Andreas, June 01, 2007, 03:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

All right, folks, the wait is over: the new NAM has finally arrived! Just in time for my birthday (which I spent with compiling all the NAM stuff, fixing last-minute errors and whatnot - and yes, I know that I'm crazy :) ). I see the masses rushing off to the LEX already, but please wait a minute and read what I have to say!

The NAM team has put lots of effort and reworked the NAM totally, so updates will be a lot easier in the future, and plugins can be developed without updating the whole NAM again. As usual, you'll find a convenient installer for Windows, and a ZIP version for Mac users. Apart from these two NAM core files, there's also a multitude of plugins available now.

First of all, there's the NAM Essentials, which contain the dreaded RUL and INI files that make all other transit-related mods incompatible with every new NAM update. You will have to download and reinstall the NAM Essentials again whenever a new NAM plugin is released, such as new bridges, the Rural Highway Mod (RHW) and other mods. We encourage other developers to create their own NAM plugins, but they should submit changes to the main RUL and INI files to the NAM team, so we can update the Essentials again.

Most of the Additional Bridges that were included in the previous NAM versions have been extracted again and made optional as separate downloads. You will find those at the LEX as well. If you already used those bridges, please make sure to download and install them again. The good thing is that you can use the additional bridges without the NAM (although I could hardly imagine why anyone doesn't want to install this mod ;) ). You do not need to update the three bridges that have been released at the LEX lately, but I suggest to do so anyway, in order to make use of the new NAM installation folder concept.

If you're using the Rural Highway Mod (RHW), you'll have to delete the previous version as well and install the new version that is available at the LEX. You also need to install the latest NAM Essentials, since they contain the latest RUL update that is necessary for the RHW. Apart from the NAM compatibility, there hasn't much changed yet, but biiiiig changes are coming soon - Tarkus is already working on quite some stuff, as you might have seen in the RHW thread. :)

What's new?

• The main NAM file has been divided into five resource files that can be updated individually. The RUL and INI files have been separated as "NAM Controller" for easier updates as well. GLR and dual-networking puzzle pieces have been made optional. Please note: If you are using the GLR or dual-networking puzzle pieces, make sure to select them in the optional components dialogue of the NAM installer. The same counts for other optional plugins, such as the roundabouts or turning lanes.
  • Additional plugins, such as bridges or the RHW mod, are released as individual plugins. Please note: If you are using additional bridges that use custom bridge models in your cities, you will have to install them separately. They are no longer contained in the main NAM download.
  • The LTEXT labels have been separated from the NAM DATs in order to make translations easier.
  • In addition to the GLR puzzle pieces, draggable GLR is now available, using dedicated starter puzzle pieces (both urban and rural versions).
  • GLR-in-Avenue puzzle pieces have been added, as well as GLR-on-slope puzzle pieces.
  • The appearance of the GLR tracks has been changed to a more urban look. The old textures for the puzzle pieces are still available as an optional plugin. Similar textures for the draggable GLR might be released in the future.
  • Avenue roundabouts have been added, available under a new menu button that also contains the other avenue intersections, such as the Avenue Y-Stack.
  • Highway-on-slope puzzle pieces has been added.
  • Elevated (heavy) Rail and Underground Rail puzzle pieces now have more options, such as 45° turns and diagonals.
  • Gentle Road Curve and S-Curve puzzle pieces have been added.
  • A plugin that removes most of the OneWayRoad arrows has been added.
  • Some menu icons have been graphically improved.
  • The number of files contained in all NAM DATs reaches 19,000.
  • The NAM core files are not longer considered as a "beta" version. However, certain plugins might still be in beta status.
  • A BSC Cleanitol file has been created that helps removing outdated NAM files and related transit mods.

Uninstalling the previous NAM version

Since many things have changed compared to the last version of the NAM, it is highly advised to uninstall the current version first. The original NAM download comes with an uninstaller, which is either available via an entry in the start menu, or by double-clicking the "uninst.exe" file in the NAM installation folder. If you have modified the NAM files for yourself, please make sure to backup them to a safe place, so you can apply the changes to the new NAM installation later.

Using the BSC Cleanitol TM File

wouangaine developed a tool that can remove outdated files from your plugins folder before installing a new download. Simply load the Cleanitol_NetworkAddonMod.txt in BSC Cleanitol TM and scan your plugins folders. BSC Cleanitol TM will move all files to the location you specified. This includes outdated NAM files, as well as beta versions and other outdated transit mods that might conflict with the NAM. However, it will not remove the outdated NAM readme files. Do not use the Cleanitol file after you've installed the latest NAM, or you will have to install it again.

Installing the new NAM

Don't simply click 'next' a few times, but take your time to actually read the NAM installer pages carefully. The installer features an optional components selection page, where you can select optional plugins or different versions of a plugin. If you have installed (and used) optional components in the last version of the NAM, make sure to select them again. Also, some items, such as the GLR, or double-decker networks, have been separated from the main NAM files as well, are now available as optional components. If you forgot to select a component, simply hit 'back' until you get to the components selection, or run the installer again. If you're unsure what to install, pick one of the predefined profiles that are available via the drop-down list at the top of the components list. "Recommended" contains a selection of the most useful plugins.

And now, have fun!  :)
Andreas

Masochist

This is, without a doubt, the best present someone has ever given me on their birthday! 

Not enough words, man...just not enough words!  All I can shout out is a very heart-filled THANK YOU to you and the NAM team, as well as anyone else who had a hand in this!

...And even that doesn't say it all...

&apls &apls &apls
(Under Construction)

wouanagaine

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls
Thx a lot to the whole team and special thx for Andreas for spending his birthday to bring us the new version, that is what I call Devotion

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

freedo50

Thanks for all the hard work guys, sounds like a great step forward and some nice new features added in there too now. I will probably start to use GLR now that its draggable, the time to create networks put me off before now.

Fred

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

callagrafx

QuoteFirst of all, there's the NAM Essentials, which contain the dreaded RUL and INI files that make all other transit-related mods incompatible with every new NAM update. You will have to download and reinstall the NAM Essentials again whenever a new NAM plugin is released, such as new bridges, the Rural Highway Mod (RHW) and other mods.

This is where your download history really comes into its own folks..Check it regularly and you'll always have the latest of everything.

An extremely big thank you to Andreas for spending his birthday getting this ready for release...I would be ratarsed by now if it was me, and the NAM would be in tiny pieces all over South Wales.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

marcosMX

Thanks Andreas, but any chances to upload the NAM to Simtropolis?

callagrafx

Marcos, have you not registered for LEX?  You can grab it there and keep a track of the updates. 
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Filasimo

Thank you NAM team for your great talent and countless hours making this new name possible. I do ask however if Jeronij's Tsing Ma Bridge will have a plugin for the new NAM. I haven't seen it yet....
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

schooner2

This is wonderful news.  I cannot wait to give it a go.  Thanks  to all of you who have made this possible!

Cheers!!!! &apls
"Proclaiming your religion, race, ethnicity, gender just cheapens your image.  After all, aren't we all just human?"  - Anonymous

Shadow Assassin

Do I get a prize for being the 100th downloader of the main NAM file? :D

It's finally out, yay. Thank you so much, Andreas! And on your birthday too. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Andreas

Quote from: Filasimo on June 01, 2007, 04:25:38 PM
Thank you NAM team for your great talent and countless hours making this new name possible. I do ask however if Jeronij's Tsing Ma Bridge will have a plugin for the new NAM. I haven't seen it yet....

The Tsing Ma Bridge (and all other bridges that were available on the LEX) have been updated as well. If you use the Cleanitol file before installing the new NAM, outdated files will be removed automatically.

Well, and needless to say, the NAM will be released on other fansites as well, but I can't do everything at once. ;)
Andreas

rickmastfan67

Downloading it right now. :thumbsup:

But I hate having dial-up to download it right now. :angrymore: LOL.  Maybe I should have tried to download it with the Cell Phone. LOL.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

mattb325

Thankyou so much Andreas. I am very grateful :satisfied: to you and everyone else involved in making this and then sharing it with us.  &apls &apls &apls

thundercrack83

Brilliance. Sheer brilliance. Thanks to you Andreas and to all that made it happen! Now go enjoy your birthday (or what's left of it)!

killer0027

Congrats on the New NAM. I will start using some of the new features immediately.  However, I do have a question how do you get the dragable GLR to work?  All it does is plop a 2x2 glr tile, I can't get it to drag. I read all of the readme's, unless I overlooked how to do it. Thanks for all of your great work.

On another note, I would like to donate money to the site, but I won't use paypal..burn burned with it..ID theft.  Is there another way to donate?

Andreas

Quote from: killer0027 on June 01, 2007, 06:48:12 PM
However, I do have a question hoe do ou get the dragable GLR to work?  All it does is plop a 2x2 glr tile, I can't get it to drag. I read all of the readme's, unless i overlooked hoe to do it.

Then read it again. ;) You'll have to use the regular el-rail tool to drag the GLR tracks. When plopping the starter puzzle piece, you'll see some arrows into one direction. If you start dragging there with the el-rail tool, the tracks change to GLR automatically. It's a bit tricky to use at first, but you'll get used to it soon.
Andreas

killer0027

Sorry, I just reread the readme again, and found out how to do the Dragable GLR. Thanks

bwatterud

Quick question:
Do the GLR station patch files only include the lots?  I assume that they do, but I want to be sure. 

Andreas

No, you have to keep the old lots. It's called a "patch" for a reason - it only fixes the GLR compatibility, nothing more. Simply put the DAT files for the stations that you have installed in the respective installation folder; since they start with "z", they should override the original exemplar files, but everything else, like menu icons etc. are not included in the patch files.
Andreas

Travis

I noted a very odd bug with the draggable GLR starter pieces...

and when I plop it, nothing shows up. I belive I have all the required files, all the other puzzle pieces work fine. Maybe some sort of
conflicting plugin? Any help would be much appreciated.  :)