• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Winding River Project

Started by mrbisonm, March 08, 2009, 03:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floydian

I really like the story element of this MD. You are making the history happen instead of explaining how it happened long ago. The way you are constructing the highway is amazing too. Are the various construction lots available to download (The dirt piles, dirt Tiles, the fallen trees, and the cementing pieces)?

mrbisonm

Quote from: Driftmaster07 on June 06, 2009, 06:35:04 PM
Never heard of freshwater whales. Whales are mammals so... Maybe. But plankton, what wales eat, are saltwater only.

Yeah, I know this also, but......this is the Winding River Wilderness and I have no idea how come that whales are here.

Quote from: Swesim on June 06, 2009, 11:59:46 PM
Ha! This is getting even more complex for every update, it seems like the Winding river region is full of mysteries.
Now Vikings or something similar seem to have left a footprint in the region, ancient whalehunters in the river maybe?

Hm....maybe that's it? ;)

kwakelaar, glad you enjoy it.
Schulmanator , nice to see you here.
danielcote , I suppose there are appartments up on the second floor of that Pub . I can always ask the owner.
Floydian,  the lots of the highway construction are not yet available and right now I am too darn busy to finish them and have them uploaded. Meanwhile the fallen trees can be downloaded from Peg's site under the logging stuff somewhere.
I will do my best to finish the lots and then have them tweaked by BarbyW. Time, time, time......lol.....never have enough of it. ;)

Thanks for the comments. Another update is about to be posted within the next two days, stay tuned.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

KoV Liberty

A special breeding ground maybe...

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

mrbisonm

Quote from: Driftmaster07 on June 11, 2009, 01:32:34 PM
A special breeding ground maybe...
................or maybe a cemetary....I wonder.

Let's have a small update on the Winding River Project.

Not very long after John asked for the residential Program to get more workers into the region, the government unzoned hundreds of acres and not only in Access Junction, but also in several other counties that have road access now.
It was urgent to get some more people to move in and work on the highway project, especially for Access Junction, where all the action is right now. And it wasn't long that the news spred all over the Nation that cheap land was available in that area. They came by the dozens and started building their houses right away. Economy is excellent, they say, and as long as there's a highway to build and trees to be logged, everyone is able to make a good buck (income).
First some roads were planned on the western side of Access and then cut out, going around the pond and then some 250 lots were zoned for residential use. Some 40 lots were sold instantly on the first day of the public offering. Now that highway 15 is officially open from Bluebay to Access Junction, workers will be more willing to come and live here realizing that the Wilderness is getting civilized.

Mike Allheimer, the right arm of John Gabber's Company and also the Highway Program Manager, decided to sell his beautiful home in Bluebay last week. His home was situated on the mainland within one of the finest neighborhoods of Bluebay around. A lot of folks are wondering why he did so. He gave this up for the house that Gabber started in Grasslake County and as we can see, he likes wooded areas alright, not only in Grasslake but on his own lot also.

Everyone Mike closely knew was invited for the inaugeration party at his new home in Grasslake. Althought the outside terrain is far from finished, the inside is ready to receive its dwellers. This was supposed to be John Gabber's weekend house first, but then Mike bought it out when John bought another piece of land elsewhere on the lake. Now he will be living here, 45 minutes from Bluebay and 45 minutes from Access Junction, where John Gabber is about to build an Office for the highway project. Now all he needs is a bride to build a family of his own.

Now let's have a look how John's Log-Cottage is coming along, only about 1 kilometer from Mike's new place.
Most of the walls are standing by now and they are about to cut the windows and doors out of the walls. Once this is done, the roof will constructed and windows and doors will be installed right after. All there will be left to do is the final touches outside and the finishing of the interior. This shouldn't take longer than a month, now that we are already in the first weeks into summer.
John wanted this to be finished before next fall and now that he saw that Mike's home is ready to be moved into, he is even more anxious for it to get done in time.

While John and Mike flew over the eastern swamp area last again, they again saw that crashed airplane partially submerged in the waters and John decided to report it to the military authorities in Frampto

«« "You know Mike," John said to his friend and Program Manager,"I hope that the rockskulls are not discovered before they zone the land at the creek near the Winding River and offer it for sale. We'll buy the most land we can there to create our own great historical site that was ever created in this part of the country."
Mike's eyebrowse lowered and said, "Reporting the airplane down there might trigger of a general search of the valley, I don't agree with your idea yet. And you are surely aware that the darn highway 15 will go right past that area where the rockskulls are less than 2 miles, aren't you?. If the architects/Engineers decide to build the water-road right there, which is by the way an excellent choice, it'll be the end of our dream and we cannot change the architect's opinions or decisions. Remember, they are paid by the government and not our Company."...
John continued,"We have to think seriously about this a little more, the loggers get there in about two months and then the construction guys. I can't force or rush the Government to zone up the area faster and make them sell the lots, although I wish I could, unless we have a good and solid contact. I don't, do you ?"
Mike nodded negatively and mumbled,"Maybe I have something else, my chief Highway Engineer-architect Harry Resfeld is about to retire and I know this young fellow from Frampton that I will probably hire to replace old Harry. His name is Alex Puto, potentially excellent for becoming the  new Chief Highway-Engineer and he will owe me that favour that I will hire him. I am pretty sure that he can be convinced to build the water road elsewhere." (the access road to get the water needed for the construction of the highway)
" Puto from where? Do I know him?" John asked curiously.
" No, I don't think so. He just came out of college with a master degree in engineering, and  he is more than qualified for the job I think." Mike added.
" Now that sounds good, when will he start?" John asked.
" I will call him tomorrow, he doesn't know yet that I have him in my visor for the job."
" Excellent" John replied.»»

I will be back this weekend with another update, a little longer than this one. Have a nice weekend.

Fred

danielcote

I'm intrested but before I jump into it what city is it in?

mrbisonm

Quote from: danielcote on June 12, 2009, 04:01:44 PM
I'm intrested but before I jump into it what city is it in?

Allheimer's home is in Bluebay on the mainland, almost opposite of the Gabber's residence. It is in one of the richer sectors of Bluebay. Check the image below.

Half an acre, indoor swimming pool, 4 bedrooms and airconditioning in every room. 45.000 Simoleons.

;)  Fred

KoV Liberty

I'll put up 45,000 for the home if I can buy it.  ;) EDIT: Also it is nice to see me in the updates!

Alex

Adrian, I miss you man.

danielcote

mrbisonm

Sold to Daniel Coté!

Sorry Alex, Daniel had the first option to buy. I guess Alex Puto has to find another one now...:(

Daniel, I just to need to know where the Buyer is from, the name and the profession. Thanks.

Be back with a nice update tonight.

Fred

danielcote

Daniel Cote, Govonor of the Grandian Federation, Dry Docks, Grand Forks, North America.

KoV Liberty

Cool can't wait for the update. Alex might have to make his own house. Also it is not so great to have a house
MILES from the construction site. So it is kinda a good thing I didn't buy it!

Adrian, I miss you man.

mrbisonm

Flying over the Winding River Wilderness is today a little different than a year ago. Some simmish activity can now be identified and Access Junction is now more visible from upthere than ever.
The Government of Simland has decided to elongate the Access Road right on to the west, starting in Access itself.
The Highway construction team is now only a few months from the river where the biggest bridge over the majestic Winding River will be built, but because this will only be in the winter months and construction of the bridge itself cannot be prosecuted during the cold temperatures, the whole Highway project will be closed down for 4 months starting one week before Christmas. Only some departments , like loggers, acces roads construction etc will continue throughout the wintermonths.

In Valmore houses are being built also , ever since the Government gave away several hundreds of lots for a small amount to settle the region. Lake Valmore, just on the western border of the highway, is the cleanest and clearest lake yet in the Winding River region and some folks already have some interesting and profitable ideas about the developpment of this springwater lake which extends right into the bigger Chime lake further northwest of Valmore.
Known for its dinosaur bone find, Valmore's archeological site is totally closed for any public visits. A building to cover the skelleton is in the planning and then an offical opening for the public will be planned. Scientist finally agreed that the animal was killed with some sort of a primitive tool, which made the whole simworld rethink the evolution of simkind. Since never something like this was found before, and that it was impossible until now for a dinosaur to co-exist at the same time as a sim, a worldwide search for a logical explanantion is undertaken. Is this the first proof that some dinos have survived the extinction in certain areas longer and have even reached the period of simanoids?
The military is responsable for the protection of this site for the moment which seems to be very important to simkind.
Hundreds of amateur scientists, geologists and others have recently invaded the nearby forests of the Valmore county, searching the area for anything new and interesting. Lands have been sold so quickly that the buro of the Zone Restrictions in Frampton City is overrun with demands for more.

Not far from there a wateraccess road was temporarily built to be able to get the waters from the northern part of the lake for the highway constructionsite. This part of Valmore lake is of shallow waters and amazingly to its first visitors, it has very strange looking trees all around its bay and on its island. Some roadworkers swear that they saw gigantic creatures in these shallow waters at nighfall. Of course these statements were seen as absolute rumours without any proof, mostly after some sims have spent a night or two to see any of these and have not witnessed the same at all. But some smaller yet unknown creatures were found, some lizard formed like animal that could glide over the watersurface as fast as a small speedboat for an example.

Back in Access Junction, the citizens have finally received their first townhall and now are demanding an election of a mayor and a council in the near futur. Also the first newspaper was introduced to Access by a young fellow from Sandom, Joe Bean. Now housing temporarily on the upper floors of Joe's Hardware store he is hoping to print out 1500 examplars every week. The *Access Tribune* will also be available on some newspaperstands in Sandom and alsewhere one day, he hopes.

Growing almost with every day, Access Junction needs more of this and that, people say. First a Mayor, then a sheriff or a police of some kind and a postal service and governmental representative office. Others want an educational system with a school and the government now jumps in and wants an used water purification plan before the town will be growing any further. Used waters has slightly become a problem nowadays since no watertreatment whatsoever is existant. Also more efficient energy production has to be found soon enough. Whenever the sawmill starts in the morning some power fluctuations have been observed, meaning that the electricity producing unit is close to its maximum.
Last week Guy Racsan offered to build a small landstrip nearby for airplanes to land and deliver the needed goods faster. He said if the citizens can find an ideal are for a landing strip he will offer it as a gift to the town. People are now looking for such an area.

Homeconstructions have almost doubled in the last month and new streets have been added in all directions all around Access Junction.

The town is taking shape and more and more lots for homes and houses are offered by the Government. (- Anyone who wants to buy a small lot in Access Junction for a home has now to come forward and get one reserved in his/her name before it is too late-)

A somewhat of a small downtown was being formed in the backyard of Lucy's Truckstop. People were moving in so quickly that they needed stores for food and other necessities, then a church for some believers and others.

On the other side of the village, now housing more than 800 citizens, a small industrial park has developped itself beside Slye's Sawmill, again needing more people as workers.

Here's a nice view of how the Highway 15 and Access Road (now called Route 141 by the government) intersection looks like today. Quite different from last last year, right?

An already successful Fruitfarmer form Sandom built his first farm in Access to extend his fruity kingdom into the Winding River Wilderness, saying that the climat here is more profitable for fruitgrowing trees than on the coastlands of Sandom or the mountains of Bluebay.

The idea that the climate was better for farming here than on the coast and in the mountains, is the main reason that a lot of land was sold and cleared for this purpose lately, causing again the sawmill to overflow with logs.

««" Listen Ts," John told T.Slye, his partner in the sawmill business, on a friday afternoon when their gang met again in the Olsenpub terrace, " I had this idea this week about the sawmill. I don't really have the time to take care of the logging business anymore and the sawmill runs on its own. Now that we get close to the mighty river and start building the bridges in next spring I will be busier than ever, how would you feel if I leave you alone with it, now that you have more than enough experience to run the mill on your own, and I'll make you an offer to buy my half of it at a good price?"
Slye opened his mouth and looked deeply into John's eyes, "Are you serious?"
"Yeah, of course I am" John replied." We are now in the beginning of the sixites, some say these are the golden years of industrial development."
With a keen look and one eyebrow raised Grandpa Henry, who was part of the friday meeting couldn't resist to say, " Jump onto it Slye, go for it, this might be the chance of your life", and he added an eyeblink.
Slye still a little confused, " Can I think about this for a couple of days? " and he looked pityfull at John.
" Hey, of course, I got all the time you need, I will ask my secretary to send you the offer tomorrow and think about seriously, I don't want to be part of it anymore, even if its futur is looking darn good, and you can handle it on your own, I'm sure."»»

In Grasslake also landlots are about to be sold everywhere and some bigpockets and businessmen from Bluebay, Sandom and even from Frampton and Beecherfalls are investing  in smaller lots for a futur weekend or retirement house. Some have already started building and moved in. If Charlie will find out about his fishing lake being invaded like this, he will probably freak out. He will be back from summerschool in a month.

Ferryman Rails from Capitol City, the biggest Rail Company in the east, is planning to introduce a railway through the Wilderness to create a shortcut from Frampton to Bishop's city that will save a few hundred kilometers of unecessary rails through the prairies. For the moment it is only a plan on paper, but eventually this will happen I presume. The rails will come in by the north and then slowly wind through the wilderness to exit to the west a little more than halfway through the region.

In Bluebay, the house of Mike Allheimer was finally sold to Daniel Cote, the Governor of the Grandian Federation, Dry Docks. He moved in almost instantly enjoying the big trees with their shade around the house. Mr Cote comes from Grandforks.
In Capitol City, Charlie is about to finish summerschool and he has a new friend, a youg fellow only one year older than himself with name of Diarmuid MacGermain who just imigrated with his father from GRV II after the rebels intrusion. Diar's father moved down to this area having heard that workers are badly needed in the Wincing River Wilderness.

Well, that's the update for this week, hope you'll liked it again. I still need some more characters in my story, anyone?

Fred

KoV Liberty

Adrian, I miss you man.

JoeST

Fantastic stuff :), Thought maybe you should think about changing the rail route to not cross the main river twice. maybe it should instead split and cross the tributary under the "Planned highway 15" label, and a spur could go over the river at the island.

Just a suggestion.

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

mrbisonm

JoeST, I will take that idea seriously into consideration. I will have a more detailed look at the terrain and the possibility to do so, althopugh in the first place I wanted to have access to the large peninsula. But then again, like you said to avoid building two bridges it might be a better idea to follow the river on the westside. I can always create an intersection later to reach the peninsula. Excellent idea, appreciated.
The Rail councelors will have that idea on their table by tomorrow morning.

Thanks for commenting
Fred

mightygoose

superb progress....

..... lurkety lurk lurk....
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

threestooges

Excellent work. Showing the gradual expansion really gives it that feel of a growing town. I noticed there's a new parking lot by Gabber's Park (is it almost time for the soccer game again?) and the industrial park is a nice touch. As for buying out the half share of the lumber mill... wow, that's a big investment, but I think it's worth it. Hopefully it won't take too much out of my pocketbook. Since I haven't seen a house in Access Junction, I assume I'm still making the commute. If the price is right, sell the house in Frampton, buy a smaller one in Access Junction and use the difference to buy the sawmill.

Also, as for the rail line, I like Joe's suggestion. Perhaps it could hop over the island further south and skip a few bridges (though those are always neat to look at). What exactly is the scale of the overview shots (distance from Access Junction to Grasslake, etc)?

Nice work on all this Fred.
-Matt

mrbisonm

Thanks mightygoose for dropping by.
threestooges: Slye is about to move to Access, he doesn't have the cash though at the moment to buy himself a house, but will live in an appartment for now. The sawmill is making enough income to take care of the paiements that he will make to John Gabber's Co to pay off his half. TS just wants to make sure to pay off everything first. That is his first aim.
Also he is of thinking something else that is about to come, still in the logging business, but as the highway closes in to the mighty river, he gets more and more ideas to save time with transport. We'll see about this in a few updates, probably when they have reached the river with the highway construction.

Below is a picture of the southwest to give you an idea of the scale, these are all medium citytiles.

;)

danielcote

Questions:

Aw Access is growing up isn't it cute  :D . By the way that appartment on the left side of the bake sale and the bake sale building I really like so I would like to by the properties to make them historic and keep them for a buissnes venture. Also you might want to build a grass landing strip because I would like to send in some supplies from grand forks to support my buissness venture, it probably will spur the local economy giving more high paying jobs as mechanics, technical support and pilots, it would be like a gateway to the north in its own sence. Also I would like to have a summer cottage in Access please. also who's mike?

Suggestions:

I think that C.P tetements and houses would fit in with you're comunity very well.

Thank you and Please reply to all these questions because they're all important to me.

RustyXL

These past few updates have been great. It looks like Access Junction is growing nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the landing strip.  ;)