• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

Ooooh! I really LOVED the botanical gardens!  &apls &apls
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

MandelSoft

I'll book a few nights in one of the resorts  ;D

This place looks very, very nice!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

sebes

Sorry Paul for my absenteïsm lately... RL is attacking me from all directions again - so hardly time to spend a lot of time to the game (and developping Rhenen) and this site (as a MD'er or even as a commenter). However, I am in lurkmode. There are a few MD's where I logon for, to quickly scan the updates.... Not spending so much time to them as I would love to, but: staying tuned to avoid becomming a stranger in town!

And Westend is one of them - even if not leaving a comment, be assured that I lurk here at least once a week!

The gardens were gorgeous - I loved them, and at least left a comment on You Tube mate!

Continue developping Westend by adding more of this excellent stuff, and know that I will still follow you and this MD, wherever you go with it, and whatever busy I might be.. always! (amen)

(just noticing how close you are to the 1000th post.... As I made the first 00-post of many more to follow, I hope to be also here when the first 000 of a row will be made.... so - maybe reason to log on daily for the next days....)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

JBSimio

Ahhh... another fine round of pictures from Piccadily.  It's almost a shame to hear it's time to move on Paul, as I too have really enjoyed watching this tile.  But, at the same time, I'm always eager to see what you have in store for the next installment.  On to the pictures, though, huh?

73.01 is a great overview with the marina... shops and eateries... all backed up with some very impressive high rises.  The layout is great and it all fits together in such a realistic way.  On top of which, it just looks pretty darn good too!  I also love the close ups in the next few pictures.

73.05 is yet another example of those differences between our two MDs.  That building by Dmscopio is definitely very cool, but I doubt it will ever make an appearance in my cities.  (I just don't think the southerners in Covington would know what to think of it!)  :D  I agree that the beach lot was a great idea.  The whole set up does a good job of bringing a tropical island resort into Piccadily.

73.07 is just a very pretty shot.... nothing more needs to be said really!   :thumbsup:

73.08 looks very lush and green.  It nice to see such tree lined neighborhoods have been able to survive the denser growth of the peninsula(r) and I'm sure these single family homes are well sought after.

73.09 is another fine example of the fact that not all standard Maxis lots have been rendered useless even today.  With all the custom content we have to play with, it's nice to see some of the original lots still holding their own.  I've always liked the standard zoo... it's such a great lot even if it is ridiculously undersized for what it was meant to represent.

And finally, the overview in 73.10 just pulls it all together into one truly amazing area.  The peninsula(r) ;) was well worth the wait and really shows how much you invested in making it just perfect.  I've really enjoyed all the different updates centered around this area.

See you for the next big surprise!
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Lilojame

Hi again!

It was well worth spending that time in here. ;) As for yours last update, it is superb! I don't believe I can add anything to what others already said, I can just add my agreeing voice to their comments.
You are doing such and amazing job that it is hard to describe!  &apls &apls &apls

See you after your next update,
Karin ()borg()

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

paroch

Arthur:  Hi, thanks for the suggestion re the trees.  I've closed the quad down now – but next time I will try that out.

Bat:  Thanks my friend – and here is update 74!!

Joan:  Well, I'm pleased you've enjoyed Piccadilly and have to admit I enjoyed throwing the peninsular open to suggestions for development – it certainly made it interesting for me too.  I'd say watch this space as I will continue to aim for reader involvement in future.  Thanks for the comments re the marina and I know what you mean about the Hotel Bats – they are different and they fitted what I wanted, i.e. a landmark building that would "stand out".  I certainly don't think I could use them in every quad, but from time to time they certainly achieve the desired look.

Shaun:  You're welcome Shaun – I enjoyed building them and yes, I will work on them to get ready for LEX – maybe when I have more time during the Christmas break.  As for your ponds – yes some "pond junk" would be great – maybe some swans, or a little boating house with row boats.  Or a fisherman or two??

M4346:  Hi and Welcome to West End – I think this is your first post here.  Thanks for your comments and hopefully see you here again.

Maarten:  The penthouse suite has been booked.  I'm told the best time to stay would be over New Year as a large party is planned to see in 2009!

Sebes:  Hey man, I've missed you!!  Thanks for the words – they're good to read.  You've always been a great West End supporter so it's good to know you're still around.  As for RL – take care and I hope all sorts itself out.  As for the 1000th post – yes it's not far away and I hope that one of the regulars bags it and of course you are one of the regulars!!

Jon:  Wow, what a great set of comments – thanks.  It's interesting that both you and Joan commented on the Heywood Resort Hotels.  Obviously you American's are more conservative when it comes to architecture  ;)  I would like to create a beach resort area in a future quad, so that one may make another appearance some time.  I'm glad you enjoyed the peninsula(r) and as for what's next – it contains a large slice of Covington inspiration!!

Karin:  Thanks for those words- they are always nice to read and I'm glad to see you here again.

Way back in update 61 (13th September) I showed a region shot and told you what plans I had in mind for upcoming development.  Here is that picture again:

Well, you know that the peninsular in Piccadilly has been completed as has the rest of Piccadilly.

I've had the new airport in mind for some time – but before I started that quad I decided to fill in some farming areas around it.  Many airports I've seen in SC4 have been built right in the middle of the city – which is not always that realistic.  I decided that West End's new international airport would be set in a more rural are a short distance from the major population areas.

The picture above says "two medium sized farming quads".  Well, that was wrong!  It's actually one medium sized and two small quads.  And today we're going to see the start of development of the northern small quad – called:

Berners

The "naked" quad.  The highway was laid at the very start of West End.  Given the farming nature of the quad I thought RHW may be better.

So here I've bulldozed the Maxis Highway and replaced with RHW and added a kink to the road to make it look more natural in Region View.  I'm still new to RHW- that junction took me about an hour!!

Now the roads and streets are laid to support the farms and the small village.

And PEGs dirt road SAM texture is used to add a bit more authenticity to the farming roads.

Here I've zoned in all of the farms that the quad will hold.  Plus you may notice power and water just south of the junction.

I tried to use JBSimio's Covington style for zoning farms, i.e. not all regular shapes and also leaving differing sizes of gaps between the farms.

Now the farms are really growing.

Laying the "R" and "C" zones for the small village.

And there is the quad pretty much developed.  Trees have been added to give it more of a realistic feel, and the village zones have grown.

An overview of the village.  You may notice three of the fours things a village must have..... A school, a church and a football pitch.  What's missing?  Why the pub, of course!!

A closer zoom into the village shows that almost all available zones have been developed.

Hey look – a few Mouse House 70's have been built here in Berners.  In fact, it seems that there are a few different building styles in this small village.

With two cheque cashing shops on the High Street I'm starting to think that maybe folks are feeling the credit crunch even here in Berners.  And look – whilst not exactly a pub, the Spy Bar at least means the locals have somewhere to have a beer and a game of darts!

I'm sure you can work out why this road is called Goober Avenue!  Although the selection of shops (other than the Fish & Chips) seems a bit odd for such a village. 

Aha, someone must have realised that 1,384 people only need so many mobile phones!  A new developer has prised these zones away from GooberCorp.

I'll leave you today with this picture and a question for you to work on for the next update.....

Name the buildings that are going up – a prize will be awarded to the first person who names the buildings correctly.

I hope you've enjoyed seeing the birth of this small quad.  Next time we'll have a bit more of a look around and I can show you how things changed.

'til next time............ $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

nerdly_dood

Nice update! I would like to recommend a Euro RHW texture on the LEX here and a newer Euro road texture set that includes SAM intersections here - Somehow they seem to match perfectly... (Maybe that's why I use them both? ;))

The RHW texture set will work with either LHD or RHD, and the road texture set includes some options that are LHD or RHD specific (You can pick and choose in the installer)

Oh, and the buildings in the last shot are SimGoober's Small CS§ shops, no? Oops - I don't know about the ones being built, I can't see them well....
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

bat

That's another beautiful update there, paroch! Fantastic work!

(and 33 replies left for 1000!)

dandan 777

;D Very nice Farming community it reminds me of southern france, Spain or Portugal. ()stsfd()

art128

You've done a great farms area here Paul. &apls
The little village look great too !
Arthur.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

sebes

mmmm.... such a small farmers village and the center of town is... the queer steer. Interesting concept Paul... interesting enough to get me out of lurk mode  :thumbsup:

I see that you plan to rebuild Great Portland and Regent. Will you replicate the cities or build completely new ones? I have such good memories to both towns... and their Stadiums!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

FrankU

Paroch,

You caught my attention some time ago, now. Your development is very nice. Especially the Dutch start caught my interest. For obvious reasons.
The reason why I seldomly comment on Westend is simply that I hardly ever have something to say that is not already said by others. A "wow" and a "hurray" now and then is fine, of course, but it feels for me a bit boring...

The newest pictures are nice. I have one question about them: how much time did it take to make the whole development? I myself always have the feeling that it takes sooo much time! It would cost me weeks (every week jst a couple of hours, of course) for one tile to develop. And another thing: how do you develop a rural quad in a very much developed urban area? In my regions the development always stops someday.

JBSimio

What a flattering update, Paul!   ;)  The farms look like they came out very well.  I'm surprised to see so many Maxis farms, but that's probably just because I've been blocking them for so long I nearly forgot what they looked like! :D  I also like how you extended the streets into many of the farms the way you've done.  I tried that once or twice, but never seemed to get the look I was hoping for.  It worked great in your case though... so maybe now it's my turn to take some notes.  The village also turned out nicely... even if it is overrun with cell phones!  :D  I've looked at the growing buildings several times now and it seems like it should be fairly easy to pick them out, but I just can't seem to place them right now.  Maybe it will still come to me before someone else gets it...

But if not, I'll certainly see you next time anyway!
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

threestooges

Paul, it has been far too long since I last stopped in. As for the newly growing buildings, I had originally though they were from the JBSimio collection, but it seems that may not be the case. I know spa has done some good small lots, but I just can't help shake the feeling that they are Maxis. It reminds me of this one small office building whose name eludes me. But that is a small thing compared to all that I have missed. The marina and towers turned  out great. Those hotels are neat, and I like the way the marina itself juts out from the coast. I like how the lighthouse turned out and the botanical gardens are absolutely amazing. You did a great job with them. The greenhouses fit together particularly nicely. 73.08 is a very nice suburb shot. If there's a place for sale around there, let me know of a good local realtor. Always impressive stuff Paul, whether urban, recreational, or rural, you seem to do it well.
-Matt

Diggis

Quote from: paroch on December 13, 2008, 06:49:58 AM
Aha, someone must have realised that 1,384 people only need so many mobile phones!  A new developer has prised these zones away from GooberCorp.

You've clearly never lived in a rural town have you mate... the number of farmers I know who have hay baled their phone, dropped it in the dip, had a cow eat it... 1384 people would need a new phone about 3 times a year.  :D

It's interesting to see other peoples play styles.  You obviously have an idea of what you want your region to look like and build towards that.  Once a Quad is done, it's done.  Where as I tend to play mine in bits, building small areas, moving to another quad and playing there for a bit before going back.

Pat

Hey Paul sorry Ive missed a bit here in West End and far as what the buildings are I have no clue at all... But over all great update here though and I do hope to catch more!!! btw 25 more to your 1K Mark my friend!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Paul, Paul, Paul...

Where have I gone wrong by not coming here to WEST END more often, my friend? I am so sorry for my absence, there's just no excuse!

The highways and farmlands look just wonderful, and I love the planning shot, especially. I cannot wait to see your plans come to fruition! I find that destroying an area, then rebuilding is not only cathartic, but a great way to change what you didn't like about an area while keeping the things you did!

Good luck with the plans, and I hope to be back more often, my friend!

Take care,

Dustin

Jmouse

Hi Paul, the highway in Berners looks great to me, and I'm fascinated by the way you laid out the dirt roads before zoning the farms. Then it's interesting to see the area's step-by-step development. Love the way you've placed the village and added a few isolated houses elsewhere.

It's great to see the Mouse Houses
show up in such a lovely setting! :) High Street (74.13) kind of "speaks" to me - it looks like a place I'd like to stop and explore if I were out for a Sunday drive. The little stores fit the scene perfectly.

I'll take a longer look later in the week, but I'm just scanning quickly and playing catch-up right now. I am intrigued by the demolish-and-rebuild plans, though, so I'll go back and try to find the originals in the next few days.

Later...
Joan

paroch

Thanks for all the comments - full personal replies will follow in the next update.

I noticed no-one has guessed the buildings growing in 74.15 and 74.16, so I thought I'd give you another chance to name the building that is growing.  There are two of the same building - can you name them?

For the first person to guess correctly there will be a very prestigious West End prize - and if you're wondering what that prize might be have a look at the first picture of update 74 (picture number 61.13 - Future Plans) and you may be able to work it out!!!

Full update to follow over the next few days.

'til next time.............. $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

thundercrack83

Boy, the name of the building is on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't seem to get to it, Paul!

I know it's in my plug-ins, too--I may have to hop into the game and look it up!

Hope all is well, my friend!

Dustin