• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sydney Opera House - For one night only!

Started by callagrafx, January 25, 2013, 02:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Thanks for the explanation. I followed it all except the boolean cutouts. I know the basics of how they work (in theory) but haven't really applied them much (at all) in practice. I think those sails may indeed be the reason no one has seriously tackled it before, but you seem to have made short work of them.
-Matt

Diggis

Quote from: callagrafx on February 01, 2013, 11:03:49 AM
Quote from: threestooges on February 01, 2013, 10:46:18 AM
As for unusual shapes like the opera house's "sails" how did you go about reproducing those? Unusual (non-rectangular) shapes like those have always daunted me when modeling.
-Matt

Trade secret  :thumbsup:   $%Grinno$%

Actually, quite straightforward.  I created the "arc" cross section, then lofted to create the curved shape, then simple boolean cutouts to finish off.  Converted the whole thing to editable poly for some vertex tuning (chamfering the edges, that sort of thing).  They're all pretty much the same shape, just done at different angles.  The hardest part was doing that only from photos from the interweb...

I'm actually amazed that no-one else has seriously tackled this before, but I can only find one other model and that's on the STEX (and I can't say I was impressed with that either).

One of the early 2000 versions of AutoCAD, (I want to say 2002 or 2006) came with a 3D model of the Sydney Opera House. My computer wasn't really capable of doing much more than opening it, but it looked impressive.

callagrafx

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

MTT9

Quote from: callagrafx on February 01, 2013, 03:05:54 PM
Quote from: MTT9 on February 01, 2013, 11:21:39 AM
Looks amazing. Can't wait for nightlites :)
Mindreader...

I've been told that before  ;D
Those look amazing. How did you get that orchestra?
You can call me Matt

Andreas

I bet he tricked us all and just cut some photos he found and presented them as his BAT here. :D

Jokes aside, this looks amazing alright! I really need to find a Sydney map and start building a city, leaving room for placing this upcoming masterpiece.
Andreas

callagrafx

Quote from: Andreas on February 02, 2013, 09:40:42 AM
I bet he tricked us all and just cut some photos he found and presented them as his BAT here. :D

Busted!!  :'( :'( :D

Nightlighting is complete, so I'm going to export it and see what it turns out like. I've increased the size of it too.  And a final decision about the base... there isn't going to be one.  To better tie it into the game the base will be whatever Barby sees fit to put it on.  This way, she can add waterfront or canal pieces (not necessarily mine) and/or place it on an inland lot.  It also means that if anyone else wants to adapt the lot to fit their cities or waterfronts, they're not tied into a modelled base.  I am the very epitome of compromise  :D

and it saves a whole load of hassle with LODs

Quote from: MTT9 on February 01, 2013, 03:50:54 PM
Those look amazing. How did you get that orchestra?

Nothing simpler... looked for a suitable image on google (plenty around) and mapped it onto a shape under the window.  It's not the right angle but the impression it gives is fairly realistic, all things considered.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

M4346

A true masterpiece indeed!  ;D

Wow! What a spectacular job! &apls
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

threestooges

Wonderfully done. Not sure I would've thought the angle of the orchestra was amiss had you not mentioned it.
-Matt

BarbyW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Aaron Graham

Wow!!! Your modeling looks really great, and the night lights and texturing is great too. :)
-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

vortext

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

sunv123

Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Diggis

I joke and abuse you every opportunity, but this is an absolute masterpiece.  I'll be sad if this is the last we see from you, but it's a hell of a way to bow out.

TheAttendee

What a wonderful way to sign off BATing for a while. You will be missed, and especially after this, remembered by everyone in the SC4 community! "Always leave with a bang" I say, and a masterfully done recreation of the opera house is nothing short of a bang, if not a cacophonous explosion.

Good luck with your new lives! Haha.  :thumbsup:  Kids are great, but they'll make you feel like  :-\  most of the time.

Swordmaster

I think this beauty will be a must have in my place. Got some waterfront to spare for sure. Great work!

Cheers
Willy

Jack_wilds

luv the pedestal and the texture work progress... as to scale, as long as it looks right and doesn't look all huge or squashed like a shoehorned foot... it s a great modelling subject  :thumbsup:

callagrafx

art128

It looks even more beautiful ingame!

Can we have a Dark-night render?
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

MTT9

That looks amazing cal! I'll second that request for a darknite render ;)
You can call me Matt

xannepan