• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The envelope is pushed even further......ingame water at higher elevation level

Started by Filasimo, August 29, 2007, 06:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filasimo

Sorry I kept ya guys in the dark after announcing this. After a few attempts and this is for whoever wants to tweak it themselves. by setting the sealevel and max sealevel properties in the terrain controllers of most terrain mods to their desired level it will only raise it to the sealevel specified and sorry all thats the only thing you could possibly do with it you still cannot have water at multiple elevations in one region. i know i was disappointed as well. the only positive of tweaking the sealevel properties in the terrain controllers is that you can have water past the default maxis 200 settings. aside from tweaking the water level you will have to tweak other settings as well with the terrain controller. i myself have not messed with it bc i have been real busy with RL stuff when i found out about this. to developers making terrain mods: feel free to tinker with the sealevel settings and the other settings accustomed to it. players will love to have terrain mods with sealevels higher for maps that have higher terrain. i hope this answers alot of questions and again i had struck fools gold instead of gold  :-[ , then again it still will be useful for terrain mod developers to raise the water level and have water present at a higher level plane (not multiple)  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

dragonshardz

O man, that is a pity.  :'(

Well my hopes are dashed.

*lightbulb*

wait, gizmo's mod? Which one?

(sorry, jeroni! (apparently sucks is inappropriate. OOPS!  &blush))

RippleJet

Despite being discouraging, a good post, Ryan! :thumbsup:
It takes a man to admit he cannot deliver up to expectations, and move on to his next project.

Quote from: dragonshardz on September 17, 2007, 03:44:46 PM
wait, gizmo's mod? Which one?

Gizmo's Weather Effect Mod is available at his site: http://gizmo.lunarpages.com/index.php

Pat

Ryan you are a true man!!! A real man admitts when he has bitten off more then he can chew...  &apls &apls  I admire you for trying and that is the best thing you did you tried to git r done!!!  - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Well, good shot at this, my friend! What you've done already is very good, though!

figui

would have been great. but anyway, we're getting used with ploppable water.. $%Grinno$%
thank you for trying and experimenting.. :thumbsup:
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

jeronij

Maybe next time then  :thumbsup:

Dont discourage  ;), who knows what is still waiting for us inside these dat files.... ::)  :D :D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Filasimo

Thanks for all the kind words guys. As I have mentioned you can still edit the water levels and have it at a higher elevation than the default maxis level. So in a way there are still benefits to my findings. If anyone is interested in trying to tweak the water levels and other settings I would love for you to post a pic of what you come up with.

my kind regards,
Ryan :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

Madeira aka Constantina

please dont give up because there is always a way when a humble dat file holds the key to terrain water level.

Filasimo

Madeira: Im not giving up but pretty much passing the torch to anyone who knows more about the game coding than I do. I only stumbled onto the water level properties like some have. Thanks for stopping by though!  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

dragonshardz

Well, Filasimo, let's hope someone takes up the torch OR that you make a brilliant discovery...

GMT

... really, it is. I swear.

Shadow Assassin

Well, because you've edited the water level: it'd be a breakthrough for allowing multiple levels of water in a particular region (not city tile, though...). It's still an improvement.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

buckbeach

Quote from: Filasimo on September 18, 2007, 09:16:30 AM
Madeira: Im not giving up but pretty much passing the torch to anyone who knows more about the game coding than I do. I only stumbled onto the water level properties like some have. Thanks for stopping by though!  :thumbsup:

:angrymore:  Just lost a post and my detailed train of thought.  To summarize,  I know this is a dead thread and issue (currently) but had to sound off. "Real Water" above sea level exists.  Gizmo's rain work does fill the mountain depressions with water that support water only lots and items.  There are to many very smart people in our hobby here and elsewhere, to think they will never break into the solution.  It's there even if Maxis wouldn't or couldn't do it. 

I am pleased to see that the issue keeps being surfaced by people such as you, to keep it in front of the faces of those geniuses until their collective light bulb goes on.

Thank you very much for your efforts.

dragonshardz

well, buckbeach, madeira filasimo has tried her his best and has passed the modd to anyone who thinks they have an idea. True, the rain modd (by Teirusu) does work at higher elevations, but the water is not saved and the tool itself is tricky to work with. It is handy for landbridges and making dry lakes where waterbuildings were once built though.

Edit: corrected names and was more specific.

mrbisonm

Seeing that we won't get any better results out of this with the multilevel watermod, has anyone ever tried to continue the rainmod from gizmo and maybe have it made that it CAN be saved? Or is this really impossible? That would be great though.
I am not a Modder whatsoever, never have been and surely never will be, but I think with what all the SC4 Modders have achieved in the last years with this game, they probably would be able to find a way to have that rainmod made savable.
Good luck and keep on thinking and modding, making this game even better and more interesting than ever.

mrbisonm ;)

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Filasimo

@dragonshardz....my my did you miss the memo? madeira aka She Who Will Not Be Named aka constantia aka thomasine aka daddysbabysmomma (nothing related) had nothing to do with this rain mod other than gizmo and the other modders that came before me with failed attempts and for your answer bison due to the fact of the save game issue where most modders hit a dead end  its always unfortunate thats where the end of the road lies unless someone discovers a way around it.....as for dragonshardz please have a banana and just breathe sit relax, take a breather or two.... ya been a bit hyper the past few weeks mkay?  ;)
Plaza Mall Project
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

dragonshardz

sorry, filasimo, i changed subjects rather abruptly didn't I?

what i meant to say was that Maderia aka She Who Will Not Be Named, etc, etc, has gone my bad, you, Filasimo, had gone as far as you can with this particular modd and that Teirusu's rain modd works at any elevation but the water is not saved. Good greif, I feel dumb.

Yeah, i have been hyper haven't I? I guess that once i get on a particu;lar train of thought, i just charge ahead. Oops! Oh, well, only human aren't I? Case in point: the semicolon in the word particular.

DrPepper

You know what would be more useful? If the water level was lower so we can make mountains seem taller. Am I right? Because we can't really get mountains to go as high as we want. Maybe lowering the water level will make mountains seem taller and larger. Maxis does have some errors. Maybe you can fix it.

By the way, Nice Mod, keep up the good work!
-DrPepper  ;)

R U A Great Bat Lighter? Great I need one!
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=3571.0