• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Charles River Crossing Project (CRCP)

Started by blahdy, June 18, 2007, 08:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blahdy

The CRCP project is being mirrored at SC4D for additional availability to end-users.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those of you who wondered what happened to Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge from the Big Dig project, well you will hear some good news and bad news today:

The bad news:
The initially modelled bridge was modelled using outdated and little skilled modelling techniques at the time, which made it impossible to render in Gmax.  A new attempt at the project could theoratically work by reducing lot of model objects, but the complexity of each Big Dig element may also make it not possible even if the bridge was to be re-modelled from scratch.

The good news:
With help of 3DS Max, which has far more resource-tolerance than Gmax and advanced Big Dig 2.2 modelling technologies, we have both seriously reduced number of polygons, model object counts and a modelling software that is more tolerant and agile toward highly complex models.

And with recent co-op with Rural Highway Project, we are now able to use Tarkus' RHW-MIS (Modular Interchange System) technology to push Big Dig to an experience that was never attempted before.

A mega-project on the horizon...

We are going to attempt something new, something of an extraordinary scale that would push the demand for detailed modelling to a level never seen before, and if we are successful, it would become the most complex piece of transportation network in SC4 history: introducing the Charles River Crossing Project (CRCP).

The CRCP is basically Zakim Bridge Reloaded, except that it will now include the full Charles River Crossing FSEIS/R of the Boston Central Artery/Third Harbour Tunnel Project.  It means the Zakim bridge will terminate into an urban double-decker freeway system, and will go through a multi-leveled Charlestown Interchange system, all of which will be modelled and made for SC4 in-game content.

Preliminary Proposal

Due to the complexity of Scheme Z design including an interchange, the bridges and tunnel transition into the Big Dig over the Charles river area, the game will not be able to support this on a single flat lot.  However, RHW's Modular Interchange System (MIS) will be incorporated into this project, thus making the whole system modularized.  With modularized configuration, it will be possible to bring the entire real-life Charles River Crossing FSEIS/R configuration, including Charlestown Interchange, the Zakim Bridge, Leverett Connector Bridge as well as the tunnels all together into one giant interchange for SC4.

Preliminary Study Designs and Implementation Designs will need to be completed before even the first polygon is drawn in 3ds Max.  Currently we are investigating the following "Study Areas" to study whether to include them to in-game environment, and if so, how and exactly where.  Each Study Area will result in multitude of design proposals and internal reviews that would eventually be finalized for Final Game Implementation Plan, which then modelling project can commence afterwards.

Initial Study Areas

Massachusetts Highway Department
Preferred Alternative (Charles River Crossing FSEIS/R)

Project Schedule/Resources/Timeline, etc.

Currently Tarkus and I are spearheading the start of Charles River Crossing Project.  We expect that there will be a number of more professional individuals that we will be working with soon to make this project a reality.   There will be following class of individuals that would be working on this project:

Modellers and Section Design Consultants:  Engineer, design, and model the real-life system in a way it can be presented in Sim City environment.  The entire project will be broken into small sub-project sections, where the modellers and SDC's will be building the entire system in multiple sectionalized model files.  For example, the Zakim Bridge itself would be in its own model file, and the Interchange would be in another, hence modularity.

LOD (Level of Detail) Modellers:  Once model segments are completed, create complex LODs so that vehicle automata traffic can appear.  With project modularity, the LODers and modellers can both be working on different sub-project sections at the same time, thereby speeding up the workflow of the entire project.

Modders and Producers: Once LODing, modelling and rendering are completed for each sub-project sections, the modders and producers would path them and conduct necessary polishing work in order to integrate into game environment.  Again, the principle of modularity comes in here -- the modellers, LOD'ers and modders can all be working on different sub-proejcts at once to speed up the process.

Currently our initial estimates include:

1. Given the RL constraints of each Charles River Crossing Project consortium participant, we estimate it will take approximately 1 year of schedule to complete this project.  However, no hard deadline/ETA will be given as entertainment/hobby projects are highly fluid situation given the real-life obligations.

2. We expect the project will probably have 5-6 different people working during its peak, but this is initial projection.

3. We expect the entire system, including all modular model segments, will cost approximately 15 million polygons.

----
Let there be no ambiguity: it will be a hard BAT project.  We are not calling it a 'mega project' just for a show, it's for real.  However, after more than a week of thoughts and discussion and consultation, we believe we now have the sufficient technology and resources technically available to us to make this possible.  But there are of course, no guarantees that this proejct may succeed -- it may succumb to yet another one of "failed projects" or abandoned projects, or we might actually be able to pull it off.

Hoping for the latter case scenario, this project will commence with initial design proposals and additional people joining in the coming weeks.  Updates will be posted here, stay tuned!

Filasimo

sweeeeeT!!! the CRCP has arrived at SC4D! all i can say is The Best is Yet to Come!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeeX_HX0hwI
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

HabLeUrG

This one of the biggest projects in the United States, im amazed about the size of this project... You are recreating this very well with alot of precision and details.... also looking forward how you recreated the widest bridge in the world  :thumbsup: &apls

jeronij

Hello Blahdy, great to see CRCP at SC4D  :thumbsup:

I like the idea, and everything related to the transit networks, so you can count with me for any of the following areas:
Modelling, LODding and Rendering

I have also some knowledge about pathing/modding , but nothing serious  ::)

(you can PM when you have something for me  ;) )
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

rickmastfan67

Hey blahdy, nice to see you bring a copy of the thread over here. :thumbsup:
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

ExplodingSims

Soo, is this project still going, or has it been moved to another site?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ExplodingSims on December 01, 2007, 03:19:57 PM
Soo, is this project still going, or has it been moved to another site?

As far as I know, the project is still going on, but blahdy has been busy for awhile with Real Life stuff.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Starmanw402007

that is a cool idea. I'll be keeping track of this project. How big do you think the CRCP Will be when it's finally completed? I mean in MB size.

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Starmanw402007 on December 01, 2007, 05:17:00 PM
that is a cool idea. I'll be keeping track of this project. How big do you think the CRCP Will be when it's finally completed? I mean in MB size.

No idea.  But I have a 80% feeling that it could be at least over 10MB.

Crissa

Have you been making sure not to duplicate the efforts between the Big Dig, Charles River, and the modular highway interchange system?

I know there's some stylistic choices here for Charles River and Big Dig components, but whenever you can use them for ideas for modular components, I'd really love it, please.

I hope you take that as encouragement ^-^

-Crissa

Shadow Assassin

I'm not sure about this, but it's entirely possible that the CRCP has been merged with the Boston Big Dig project... after all, they're both dealing with a very similar area in Boston.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

BigSlark

Crissa,

I'm almost positive that blahdy and Tarkus have worked together to ensure that the CRCP and future iterations of the Big Dig are NWM compatible.

Cheers,
Kevin

blahdy

okay, sorry folks for being MIA for so long, but yes I am still here and still reading forums... just been busy with RL.

To answer some questions here...

- CRCP is separate project from Big Dig; it was split, but the two are related projects.  The reason for the split is that CRCP's goal is to be built completely on modularity where as Big Dig follows different design track and is more focused in producing tunnel portals rather than bridges.
- CRCP will be fully modular project, with RHWMIS design specs.
- CRCP is and will be compatible with RHWMIS, it is going to be released by the NAM team.
- All upcoming Big Dig components will be fully RHWMIS compatible.
- In terms of size, CRCP won't be too big as compiled SC4Models are just images taken in various angled shots, but still it will be at least 15MB in size.

hopefully this answers some of the questions above.  As soon as I have updates in the future, they will be posted here;  I'm sorry that i don't have any updates with me now, things have been hectic here lately; additionally RHW and Big Dig projects need attention right now that will take away some resources from CRCP for a while.

Boernie

Blahdy, thanks for allyour work that you have alredy done and for the work you will do in the next year,I love your buildings!!! Good look for ths really gigant-project!!

Jan
--Visit http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2426.0 at the MD recently pubsished section--

oh my god, this hospital is full of sick people!!!

ExplodingSims

Wait...THe CRCP is going to be part of the NAM? If true thats good! Looking forwards to new updates!

Pat

Blahdy that I belive has answered alot of questions and hope to see you around some more....

ExplodingSims in a way the CRCP is part of the NAM projects as its done by BLahdy and as he is a NAM team member...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

blahdy

Thanks Pat :)

Explodingsims:  yes, CRCP and Big Dig are officially NAM projects. This means both systems will inter-operate and be compatible with another, fully by sometime mid-2008 (we hope.. but no one knows what RL schedule will do).

A few development shots on CRCP, mostly completed southern terminus where Zakim bridge ends with a tunnel.

figui

WOW :o :o
excellent work here! keep it up.

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

ExplodingSims

Yay!! An update, this project is looking good! Looking forwards to mid-2008!