• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: sepen77 on September 02, 2010, 06:42:21 PM
Great Interchanges guys!

Here's one of my hand drawn ones, edited to provide ease of view.

The coloured arrows guide you through the network of tunnels/underpasses. The numbers indicate which highway is which. There is also a parking lot connected to this interchange.
The interchange was designed with realism in mind, but the acceleration/deceleration lanes were designed to be small to fit on the paper!
Definitely not made in Sim city (like I can!?!) but still worth looking at. Feel free to try to navigate all the ramps and learn your way through this miraculous interchange.

That would be a nightmare to not only navigate through, at ground level, but an even bigger nightmare to even attempt to re-create that using RHW!!!  :o

Maybe if I can whittle it down into a more practical and more "navigatable" design and re-construct it,... I can follow the arrows, it's just that some of the highways "collapse" onto themselves. It's kinda... Redundant, maybe...? I dunno... &mmm Most highways ain't designed for u-turns, I guess...

I might just take on that challenge, but I'm sceptical as to whether or not I can accomplish such a feat...

Actually, after further analysis and re-drawing the entire interchange to see for myself, I found it's more like a massive double-rotary "cloverstack" interchange, and seeing how it's a massive conglomerate of two or three different interchanges, it tells me that it may be possible to re-construct...
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

beebs

noahclem

Here's something I've been working on for awhile! Not sure the technical name but it is a 4-way junction between the area's major freeway and a major arterial extending as a freeway away from the city center in one direction and as an avenue entering the city in the other. There are no stops between freeways but one signaled intersection for traffic entering the city via the avenue.

A zoomed out shot of the whole junction:

The center of the interchange with the signaled intersection at center:

Toward the city-center side traffic crosses tram and road underpasses before meeting another avenue:

To the west tram and road viaducts cross the interchange linking residential areas north to the industrial waterfront:

While large compared to most SC4 interchanges it's pretty reasonable by RL standards--about 1/3 kilometer long ramps--wouldn't mind shrinking it down a smidge once road/el over FARMIS comes along though  ::)

I tried to devolop the area as aesthetically as possible  ;D

First time posting a "show us your"--let me know what you think  :thumbsup:

cubby420

What a marvelous behemoth you have constructed there noahclem...me likey very much  ()stsfd()

marsh

noahclem: that interchange is awsome. It gives me some ideas for one :P

Heres a simple one made by me. I dont usualy make many, so I decided to show it.
The surrounding area isnt completed yet.

j-dub

all: great work guys

@noachlem, since posting that picture were you able to use hole digging lots and build the rail via dragging under that interchange of whatever its called? Whatever it is, its certainly aesthetically pleasing, creative, big and original.

Haljackey

Quote from: j-dub on September 05, 2010, 09:14:51 AM
Whatever it is, its certainly aesthetically pleasing, creative, big and original.

It certainly is. Awesome creation noachlem!  :thumbsup:

noahclem

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!  &bis&

@ j-dub - Not sure why I didn't drag that rail tunnel through before posting--it's hard to see with the grid turned off but that's all I needed to do. The plan is for a 90 degree wide-radius curve left after going under the freeway then another tunnel under the lesser freeway and beyond. I've been doing some work realigning some intersections, shorelines, rail lines, etc in the area of my previous post and will give an update soon  ;D

In the mean time I thought I'd share this:

More of a "proof of concept" than an actual interchange, I spent more time than it looks making that flex-fly work adjacent to the tunnel (to be honest I don't remember how I did it anymore  ;) )  Hopefully someone else has better luck following through on the idea than I have (to date)  :thumbsup:

On that note--has anyone ever modified avenue tunnels in a way where the look more like the ends of underpasses (lacking the roof part)?

j-dub

As far as I am aware of, at least not yet. I think they, a lot of tunnels were made that way originally to be at the edge of some huge up slope or elevated terrain edge or something. Maxis probably did not even think about using them for going under other networks.

Haljackey

Something rather unique I've been working on: a four-way interchange with dense development on the east side. A ground highway and a ground highway spur connect this developed area to the RHW junction you're seeing here. It's rather complicated because I integrated local exits into the interchange as there are no other junctions around the spaghetti junction.

I'm still tinkering with it. I'll show the full junction once it's complete.

Oh, and here's a partial-y junction I built.

Ryan B.

marsh

Haljackey: lol, very complicated interchange you have ther :P

Ryan B.: Very cool  :thumbsup:

Here is a recent one I built  :)

I havnt made anything around it yet though

(click for full size)

samerton

Well... Hal... another few stunning interchanges...!  &apls
Ryan B.'s interchange is great, and so is marsh's nice, smooth one!

Hadrean2

I really like the smooth curves in marsh's, but I'm just wondering why you didn't use a wider curve for the east->south ramp

Haljackey

Ryan B.: Nice signs! Gotta love HD props, you can actually read them, and they're not oversized!

marsh: Looks good, your desert junction reminds me of interchanges near Dubai.
-How do you get from northbound to westbound? Or are you missing that connection on purpose?  ()what()

Light tower forest:

(still working on the junction I showed in my last post)

marsh

Thanks Hal and yea, Im glad it reminds you of Dubai ()stsfd() As for the missing offramp, yea i forgot it  &mmm Emgmod let me know after i posted it.  :P

MandelSoft

I reorganized a spagetti interchange of mine to a much more organized interchange:
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

samerton

@ Hal: another brilliant junction! I can't think of how you keep on coming up with these junction ideas! Truely superb!
@ Maarten: that looks brilliant! I love the use of smooth curves!

Haljackey

Maarten: Cool, but what about eastbound to southbound and northbound to westbound connections?  ()what()

Upgraded this interchange to support RHW 4.1. Thanks to the El-RHW networks being able to pass over RHW-6S, I was able to create some really long merge lanes:

Zoomed out:

Compared with before:

Look how short they were!  :P

samerton

Wow.. another great intersection Hal..! I'm speechless! &apls