• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cascadia: A Light in the Pacific (Mar. 1, 2012)

Started by canyonjumper, December 12, 2009, 02:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattyFo

Happy belated Jordan! %$payas)(  there is a clown for your birthday as there is no cake or gift icon :)

I haven't dropped by your MD in a while, and I missed your last 2 updates.  Both are very well done and it's nice to see you try your skills at making a W2W, euro style development like in Cloverdale.  Also your photoshopping projects are very well done.  You sure have alot of skill in this area.

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

canyonjumper

Quote from: x-ten on September 30, 2010, 06:19:49 AM
Very beautiful
Thanks x-ten!

Quote from: nedalezz on September 30, 2010, 08:02:24 AM
I concur with x-ten, that looks incredible!

Cant wait to see what a full update will bring :)
Well, you'll have to wait a bit longer unfortunately, but you'll see Cloverdale in its entirety soon enough ;D

Quote from: Nego on September 30, 2010, 12:31:48 PM
★★★★★★ Six stars! :shocked2: Is that even legal!?! I don't know, but that is some awesome photoshopping there, canyonjumper!

PS. Happy early 16th birthday
lol, thanks Nego! Glad you liked the 'shopping!

Quote from: Tomas Neto on October 03, 2010, 03:28:28 PM
Wow, Jordan!!! Fantastic both updates, my friend!!! Awesome!!!  &apls &apls
Thanks Tomas! Always glad to see you!

Quote from: kwakelaar on October 05, 2010, 12:35:22 PM
Nice work, and congratulations, noticed the date even in your collage :)
Thanks Gjermund! Glad someone noticed ;D

Quote from: Nego on October 05, 2010, 12:55:47 PM
I think cracked the code!:
I had alot of fun over the weekend, and I hope you all did as well ;D

That sounds like an awesome way to celebrate your birthday, too! (ziplining and geocaching that is)
See? Wasn't too hard :P I'll PM you when I have the screenshots ready to show you. And you know what geocaching is! No one I asked knows what it is ;D [linkie]

Quote from: peter007 on October 05, 2010, 01:14:34 PM
very nice photoshopping work. It's very pity that I don't have photoshop. But  &apls
Thanks Peter! There's always a free equivalent on the net to programs like PhotoShop. Try GIMP or Paint.NET.

Quote from: marsh on October 05, 2010, 05:11:42 PM
Great job on that CJ! That is really great photoshopping. Great city as well!

,marsh :thumbsup:
Thanks marsh! Glad you like the PS'ing ;D

Quote from: MattyFo on October 07, 2010, 01:31:12 PM
Happy belated Jordan! %$payas)(  there is a clown for your birthday as there is no cake or gift icon :)

I haven't dropped by your MD in a while, and I missed your last 2 updates.  Both are very well done and it's nice to see you try your skills at making a W2W, euro style development like in Cloverdale.  Also your photoshopping projects are very well done.  You sure have alot of skill in this area.

- Matt
Matt! Missed ya ;D Thanks, and I enjoyed trying to build a different type of city. It's certainly different from what I usually build.

So today's update will be bases on Cascadia's revised borders, and new history that I haven't published here yet ;D Why do this update now? Because I've had to time whatsoever to play SC4. Physics, Chemistry, Math, and English will do that to a guy :P Hopefully I'll be able to play sometime this week, but for now, here's Update 31!

First off, we have the revised borders of the Pacific Republic of Cascadia. Basically, I googled 'Cascadia' on a whim, and found this map, which looked cooler than the boring, straight borders I had before. So, this map was born ;D

Cascadia has five provinces, two territories, one autonomous region, and a federal district. Stikine is the northernmost province, and is the most recent province. It's home to Cascadia's most northernmost point and highest point. Fraser is the largest province, and the most populous, with over 6 million inhabitants, mostly centred in the area directly outside the Fraser District, and the Okanagan. Pacifica is the wettest province, and is also called 'Washington', in memory of the US State of the same name (which Pacifica incorporated in its entirety). Idaho is the smallest province, and the second least populous, with just over 1 million residents. Oregon is the recreational province, which contains 3 of Cascadia's 5 theme parks, and is home to the best trail system on the West Coast.

Corian Island is located off the coast of Chile, and is home to a famous collection of native sculptures, created sometime in 4000 BCE. It is home to Corian City, which houses 400 000 residents, and sports a modern stadium complex, with Cascadia's best IMAX theatre. There are movements that wish Corian Island to become a full province, but so far politicians have been denied this privilege. The Jacansi Islands are home to the Venice of New World, a collection of islands that are all connected by canals and bridges, only accessible to pedestrians and boats. Cars are only allowed in certain areas of Haifisch, the only city. A ferry system is run by the Cascadian government that takes passengers from Haifisch terminal to Corian Island, and onto Portland.

Greilson is an area, mainly untouched by humanity, has huge swaths of evergreens, which logging companies are unable to touch, due to several proclamations placed by the federal government in 1992. (Greilson is a co-op portion of Cascadia, shared between myself and faded_glory).

The Fraser District, Cascadia's federal district, is home to Vancouver proper (which contains the RL cities of Vancouver, Richmond, West Vancouver, North Vancouver District, and North Vancouver City), and contains 13 million residents, which makes up the bulk of Cascadia's populace. The Parliament Buildings in Point Grey are a wonderful sight at twilight, with the Georgia Strait and distant Vancouver Island in the back ground. This is where the current Prime Minister, Robert Jacques, makes his home.

History

After a devastating terrorist attack on the White House in Washington, D.C. in early 1958 (thought to be ordered by the Cascadian Union), newly sworn-in President Nixon announces his support for a referendum of independence for the Western States, to alleviate public outcry at the rejection of previous proposals. On April 1st, the referendum resulted in an overwhelming 85% voting for independence. Only months after independence, the new nation was shattered by two devastating events: the Kodiak Tsunami (June 18th), and the eruption of Lassen Peak (June 23rd). When the California Gulf War broke out in August 1958, Cascadia was one of the participating nations, fighting for the Sonorans' independence. Over the course of five decades, Cascadia has flourished, and become one of the richest economically important nations in the world.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading that huge wall o' text :P See you guys soon, hopefully with new pics ;D

Your friend,
                                     Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Kevin1a

I'm glad to hear more about the history of Cascadia.  Have you by any chance read "Ecotopia" by Ernest Callenbach?  Basically Washington, Oregon, and Northern California secede from the union and form their own Utopian society.  It's a fantastic book.  I highly recommend it to you if you haven't read it.  It might even provide you with some ideas for Cascadia.

Best Wishes,
Kevin

MattyFo

Well I didn't miss this update and I'm glad I didn't.  It's nice to see that you have used the powers of your imagination in not only creating this in-game, but also forging up a history and politics etc. It would be neat if you could creat a CIA World Fact Book profile for Cascadia,  just a thought but seeing as how you are struggling to find time to play the game I do not expect you to jump on this project. :D

Here's Canada's profile,  I didn't know Canada had the second most proved Oil reserves in the world. :P
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ca.html

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

Kevin1a

Quote from: MattyFo on October 18, 2010, 07:44:18 AM
Well I didn't miss this update and I'm glad I didn't.  It's nice to see that you have used the powers of your imagination in not only creating this in-game, but also forging up a history and politics etc. It would be neat if you could creat a CIA World Fact Book profile for Cascadia,  just a thought but seeing as how you are struggling to find time to play the game I do not expect you to jump on this project. :D

Here's Canada's profile,  I didn't know Canada had the second most proved Oil reserves in the world. :P
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ca.html

I've actually thought about doing this for my MD for a long time.  Of course, just like Jordan, I'm finding it hard to make time to compose and illustrate updates, much less create an entire alternate universe.  Next thing you know we'll all be drafting imaginary constitutions. ;P

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

canyonjumper

Kevin (Kevin1a): No, I haven't read that book yet, thanks for the recommendation!

Matt (MattyFo): Actually, I finished doing the top part of the profile in August :P However, finding time to finish..... Mebbe I'll post what I have, after some fine-tuning

Kevin (Kevin1a) - 2: Speaking of alternate universes, over at CSGf, we've got one in progress ;D [linkie]. Constitutions? Who has that much free time? Certainly not me ;D

Arthur (art128): Thanks Art! Glad you like it!

I managed to scrounge up some time yesterday, and used it to plop some more W2W and coastline stuff. I need your guys' help. I need a better water mod than the one I'm using, 'cause as you'll see, it's kinda bright :P . If you guys see a good one, just lemme know, I'd appreciate it. Anyways, this update is divided into two parts, the regular, I-show-you-my-new-pics part, and the new here's-a-bit-of-history-for-you-to-learn part. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, "I don't wanna read a huge block of text!" Well, it's not a huge block of text, I broke it up into dates ;D So with out further ado, here's Cascadia, Update 32!

32-01
The Johanson Bridge leading into Radley, a neighbourhood of Cloverdale. Radley is the Anglo section of the city, with more North American architecture around, especially on Jordan Boulevard. [click for full]

32-02
A work-in-progress shot of the second Euro neighbourhood, the Quartier Françoise. [click for full]

32-03
The waterfront walk, on the Johanson Bridge approach. [click for full]

June 18, 1958: 7:49 PM - A magnitude 9.6 earthquake occurs off the coast of Kodiak Island. The ensuing tsunami devastates Kodiak, AK and Anchorage is severely damaged. Across the Pacific, cities along the coast are swamped. Prince Rupert is struck by a 5.7 metre wave three hours after the quake. The Queen Charlotte Islands are inundated, and several villages along the west coast of Vancouver Island are washed away, including Tofino and Ucluelet. A 6 metre wave inundated the Alberni Fjord, striking Port Alberni three times. Three quarters of the town is destroyed. In Hilo, officials evacuated the residents in preparation of the oncoming tsunami, so casualties are low. The Pacific Coast of Cascadia felt effects all the way to San Francisco, where boats in the harbour were carried by the wave three feet in the air. Aftershocks were felt for another two years, the strongest being magnitude 7.1. This earthquake is the strongest earthquake on record.

June 19, 1958: Relief floods into the affected areas, helping the stunned victims locate shelter, food, and clean water. An aftershock of 6.7 strikes Anchorage, killing a further 28 people who were in a building when it collapsed. Residents on Kodiak Island are ferried to Anchorage, where they receive medical care, and phone access.

June 20, 1958: Tourists around Lassen Volcanic National Park spot a steam plume halfway up the mountain. Large cracks appear in the flank of the volcano, and earthquakes occur approximately every hour. Part of the South flank collapses. The resulting landslide cuts off Route 89. Volcanic Alert raised to Red.

June 21, 1958: An aftershock of 7.1 strikes Kodiak Island. No casualties are reported.

June 25, 1958: The UK, US, France, Spain, Russia, and several other countries send relief aid to the Pacific Coast, both for the tsunami and the devastating volcanic eruption. Prime Minister Holmes airs a heartfelt thank you on television for all the support.

June 27, 1958: A third aftershock of 6.7 strikes Anchorage. A fire starts near city hall after a powerline collapses. The fire is doused, but not before city hall and and several other buildings are burned to the ground. A large crack appears in the middle of Minnesota Drive.

July 9, 1958: A 6.5 aftershock strikes Lituya Bay, creates a landslide that slides into the bay, generating a 520-metre megatsunami. 7 casualties, all boaters on the bay. One boat is washed up over the bay, and miraculously survives.

That's all for this update folks, hope you enjoyed reading it, and please, if you have any suggestions (especially about the water mod), don't hesitate to write 'em down ;D

Your friend,

MattyFo

Great update Jordan!!!!  I love your W2W developments!  all your custom buildings match so well. 

As for the water mods, you should check out Mas71's water mods,  I beleive they are on the STEX, but they could also be on the LEX aswell.  I remember having some trouble finding them earlier when I lost my water mod.  He offers 6 different mods in the pack I use the darkest but there are diffrent shades.

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

RickD

Great boardwalk. I like the bridge, pic 1 is very good.

Peg's Brigantine watermod could look good in your city, too.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

art128

Waow ! That quarter Françoise is for sure really well done, Jordan ! Nice use of the fillers in this area. Thought, it is more in Polish style than in a French style...  ;D Nice work with the riverfront too, those building just fits perfectly there !

Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Battlecat

Great stuff in this update as always.

For water mod's, I've always been partial to Pegasus' Brigantine. 

Kevin1a

You're right that water mod is a little bright.  It would look good in a tropical setting where the water is very shallow and blue.  I don't use a water mod (too inexperienced), so I can't really recommend an alternative.  Everything looks great.  I'm assuming Jordan Boulevard is the MAVE6 running left to right.  One thing I noticed is that the area down by the waterfront looks kind of bare.  There is a road down there, there is parking down there, but there is little reason for people to go down there.  But who am I to complain about something this awesome.  Good work.

Tomas Neto

Wow..., A W E S O M E ! ! ! Fantastic update!!!   &apls &apls

marsh

Very nice CJ. That 1st pic is my favorite.  ;D

,marsh  :thumbsup:

canyonjumper

Matt (MattyFo): Thanks Matt! I ended up just changing the mod I had to a less retina-burning hue.

Raphael (RickD): Thanks Rick!

Arthur (art128): Polish? pfft :P Don't kid yourself ;D (Mebbe it's the 'Polska dzielnica' now? ;D ) I thought the same thing about those buildings, thanks for the comment Art!

Battlecat: Thanks Battlecat! I used Brigantine for the longest time, but I switched to my current one in May.

Kevin (Kevin1a): Thanks! Again, I've just changed the hue of my current mod to a less fluorescent one. And yes, Jordan Blvd is was the MAVE-6, it's now a TLA-5. And I changed the waterfront, I agree, it was too bare. Thanks again Kevin!

Tomas (Tomas Neto): Thanks Tomas! Always a pleasure ;D

marsh: Thanks marsh! It's mine too ;D

It's been awhile, and I thought this update would be a mish-mash update, of new stuff, old stuff, and stuff I've had lying around on my HD that I haven't shown yet, plus a bit more history. I've also revamped the waterfront, as certain people :P said it was too dull, and needed more reason to be there. It may also interest you that I've launched my website, Jumping Canyons.

33-01
Part of the redesigned waterfront.

33-02
Intersection of Highway 4 and Trent Street.

33-03
More of the redesigned waterfront.

33-04
The Douglas Inn. A very popular destination for its location.

33-05
The revamped Cascadian flag.

33-06
And with that basic design, marsh did this:

33-07
A website mock up I did in July. Just ignore what I said in the paragraph :P

33-08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13
This is a DVD that I PS'd a few weeks ago, and have been meaning to share. I was originally going to do something like this for Update 25, but I forgot ( (n) ), so I'll do it every 33 updates (if I remember :P ). Here's the front cover, the CD, and the three menus on the disk.

February 1, 1958:
-Cascadian Union activist, Robert Holmes, declares that any nation has a right to secession and independence, if they so choose. President Eisenhower declares the Cascadian Union a terrorist organization. Public outcry results from this decision.

February 4, 1958:
-Protests start in Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, and other major cities in response to Eisenhower's decision.
-The Canadian government releases a press statement, expressing their support of the Cascadian Union. Eisenhower is disgusted. He immediately cuts off ties with Canada.

February 17, 1958: A petition signed by over 500,000 people, demanding the right to a referendum of secession, is received in Washington D.C. It is acknowledged, but nothing is done.

February 22, 1958: Canadian Prime Minister Diefenbaker attempts to repair the severed ties with the US, and fails.

February 28, 1958: The Cascadian Union secretly hires a paramilitary organization, and begins to gather a small militia.

March 1, 1958: 2 A.M. A rogue stealth aircraft breaks from formation in a training exercise over Virginia Beach. It speeds towards Washington D.C., and upon reaching the White House at 3:03 A.M., deploys the test missile stored inside. The White House explodes in a fireball seen from 4 kilometres away. President Eisenhower and his family are incinerated instantly. Vice President Richard Nixon is sworn in as the 35th President of the United States of America. No one claims responsibility, but suspicions are drawn on the Cascadian Union after the pilot of the rogue aircraft is found to be from Oregon.

March 2, 1958:
-Diefenbaker holds a press conference, expressing his condolences, and his hopes that Nixon will continue reconnect ties with Canada.
-Nixon holds a conference hours after Diefenbaker, announcing his support of a referendum for independence in the western states.
-The Cascadian Union is taken off the terrorist list.

March 4, 1958:
-The Cascadian referendum is announced for April 1. The borders of the proposed nation are publicly released for the first time. They closely follow the boundaries that have been proposed in the past.

March 10, 1958: Cascadian Union posters appear in all the Western states. Pro-Union posters also appear, but some, especially in Washington and Oregon, are torn down. 

Marsh 20, 1958: Texan residents send a proposal for a referendum to Washington D.C. It is ignored.

April 1, 1958: Voters hit the polls in a referendum that has a turn-out of 89%, the highest percentage ever. Voters in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaskan Panhandle, and Northern California voted 85% in favour of secession and independence. 3% voted for secession and union with Canada, and the remaining 12% voted to remain the the US. Robert Holmes is declared Prime Minister of the new Pacific Republic of Cascadia. Final details, such as government structure, type, and internal organization are still being negotiated.

April 21, 1958: The final papers are signed, and official languages etc. are agreed upon. Cascadians will have to adopt the Metric system, as well as change all their roadways and signs to match. New Departments of Transportation are formed, with the CDOT having the largest responsibility, being in charge of the new nation's highways, and commissioning signs and route numbers. The Cascadian Army is organized from the portion of the American Army who decided to stay in their home states, and new recruits, from the recruiting offices in Portland, Seattle, Juneau, and Reno. English is set as the official language. The capital is also pending a move to Cascade, a city under construction in central Oregon. The Canadian Dollar (CAD) is being used as currency until the Cascadian Dollar (CSD) is set up, an all coin currency (1¢, 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢, $1, $2, $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, $500). The internal organization of Cascadia is still being debated. A voluntary confederation is suggested.

April 23, 1958: Members of the Cascadian Independence movement urge the Canadian province of British Columbia to join the new nation. William Bennett proposes the idea to Victoria. A referendum is announced for June 3rd.

April 26, 1958:
-The Cascadian Flag is proposed to members of the temporary parliament. The flag is accepted by a majority and becomes known as 'The Doug'.
-Britain cedes the British Western Pacific Territories to Cascadia, under hopes that a trade union be formed. Holmes wishes to become allies with Britain, and agrees.

April 30, 1958: Cascadian Election Day is set for June 22.

January 1, 2000: A troublesome FRH (Fraser Hydro) employee cuts off all power in Surrey, Fraser. Panic ensues, as people are led to believe that Y2K occurred. The power is soon restored by the same employee after being threatened at gunpoint by a frightened security guard. Surreyites sigh with relief, and the FRH employee is put on trial and found guilty.

April 1, 2008: Cascadian residents celebrate 50 years independent. Major celebrations took place in all major cities, especially Vancouver, where celebrations consisted of a spectacular fireworks display over False Creek, entertainment in the form of major Cascadian bands Hedley, Faber Drive, Marianas Trench, Heart, Van Halen, and Mötley Crüe, the opening of the new Vancouver Whitecaps stadium, and various other events throughout Vancouver proper, as well as Metro Vancouver. Cascadian Prime Minister Steve Jacdor spoke at the opening ceremony in BC Place.
"This years festivities are bound to be the best we've ever had! We've been planning this for 3 years, and I want to thank all the volunteers, Metro Staff, and city staff that helped piece these events together. I personally am looking forward to the Celebration fireworks Thursday night at 7. I was promised personally by the coordinator that the fireworks were the best he'd ever worked on. On behalf of the Cascadian government, I wish every single Cascadian feels the joy I hope this week-long Celebration of Independence will bring! Good night!"

March 22, 2011: Cascadia begins the revamping of it's infrastructure, while incorporating the need of the electric car. Electric charging stations are placed every few kilometres, where you can plug your car in and do something else for a few hours, or switch out your battery for a fully-charged one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's it for this update! Hope you enjoyed this hodgepog of images, data, and history ;D It's always fun writing the updates :)

Your friend,

Terring7

Great job :thumbsup:
By the way, from where did you find this water mod?
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

nbvc

Utvaw

Nice update, I'd say the upgrades came out well.

One thing, in 33-01, I think the turning lane on the hill looks really out of place.  Maybe make it into an ARD-3 for the slower traffic going up the hill.

MR.Y

what is it? An European or an american region??? The buildings are european, but the streets and the palms are american...but it looks nice, just the european buildings don't look good to the american roads and the palms...

Tomas Neto

Awesome update my friend!!! Your cities are fantastic, really fantastic!!!  :thumbsup: